Not yet, but maybe close...
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Not yet, but maybe close... within the Introductions forums, part of the Honda Grom News category; Was gonna post this in the Why Did You Buy a Monkey thread, but it’s probably more appropriate here. I haven’t bought one ... yet. ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Danny Linguini
  • 3 Post By tooter
  • 2 Post By Monkey Bikes
  • 1 Post By 50-50
  • 4 Post By Danny Linguini

Thread: Not yet, but maybe close...

This user has no status.

Member #

Was gonna post this in the Why Did You Buy a Monkey thread, but it’s probably more appropriate here.

I haven’t bought one ... yet. I’m a seasoned vet, been riding for over 30 years until this summer. Sold a ‘14 Valkyrie in April this year because it spent most of 3 seasons sitting in the garage — I just have had no interest in riding the past few years, and it was stupid to keep paying on the note and insurance for something that wasn’t getting used. I was afraid I’d miss it, but I haven’t. I’m no spring chicken any more, and as nice of a machine as it is, and as much of a blast as it was to ride, that was way more bike than I ever needed. Before that I had a CTX1300, which I crashed twice, first time I’d wrecked in all the years I’d been riding. The last crash totaled it (luckily I was fine), but buying the Valk was really to answer the question of whether I wanted to keep riding or not. 3400 miles in three seasons of ownership answered that with a definitive ‘most likely not’. It’s now been three months of probably the best riding weather of the year, and I have not regretted selling at all.

Now I’m looking at the Monkey and wondering if a miniaturized version of the itch is starting to come back. As a kid I’d always wanted a mini bike but never had the chance to get one, or a place to ride it if I did. Loved the old mini trail 50’s back in the day, still love driving go karts any chance I get (which isn’t many), and like some other members here, I’ve always had a thing for smaller motorized machines — just never had a chance to act on it. Until now.

Not sure what what the wife would say. She never had a problem with big bikes, and for awhile she used to like going out for rides. She’ll probably think I’m nuts, and she’s probably not wrong. But we’re talking now about scratching a very, very old itch. Everybody who’s got them says they’re fun as hell, and that to me is the whole point. The big street bikes kinda lost their fun for me, so I’m seriously debating if whipping out the credit card for a Monkey would be worth my while. Nothing else has gotten me remotely interested in strapping on the skid lid again.

The most telling sign that I’m itching? I registered on this forum!!
    50-50 likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    you are welcome

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Linguini View Post
    Was gonna post this in the Why Did You Buy a Monkey thread, but it’s probably more appropriate here.

I haven’t bought one ... yet. I’m a seasoned vet, been riding for over 30 years until this summer. Sold a ‘14 Valkyrie in April this year because it spent most of 3 seasons sitting in the garage – I just have had no interest in riding the past few years, and it was stupid to keep paying on the note and insurance for something that wasn’t getting used. I was afraid I’d miss it, but I haven’t. I’m no spring chicken any more, and as nice of a machine as it is, and as much of a blast as it was to ride, that was way more bike than I ever needed. Before that I had a CTX1300, which I crashed twice, first time I’d wrecked in all the years I’d been riding. The last crash totaled it (luckily I was fine), but buying the Valk was really to answer the question of whether I wanted to keep riding or not. 3400 miles in three seasons of ownership answered that with a definitive ‘most likely not’. It’s now been three months of probably the best riding weather of the year, and I have not regretted selling at all.

Now I’m looking at the Monkey and wondering if a miniaturized version of the itch is starting to come back. As a kid I’d always wanted a mini bike but never had the chance to get one, or a place to ride it if I did. Loved the old mini trail 50’s back in the day, still love driving go karts any chance I get (which isn’t many), and like some other members here, I’ve always had a thing for smaller motorized machines – just never had a chance to act on it. Until now.

Not sure what what the wife would say. She never had a problem with big bikes, and for awhile she used to like going out for rides. She’ll probably think I’m nuts, and she’s probably not wrong. But we’re talking now about scratching a very, very old itch. Everybody who’s got them says they’re fun as hell, and that to me is the whole point. The big street bikes kinda lost their fun for me, so I’m seriously debating if whipping out the credit card for a Monkey would be worth my while. Nothing else has gotten me remotely interested in strapping on the skid lid again.

The most telling sign that I’m itching? I registered on this forum!!
    Scratch your itch, Danny. Get a Monkey.

Little bikes are perfect for old geezers.
    It's a small commitment. At 71, I'm the oldest rider here and I already have 5,000 miles on my Grom just since January. So my advice is to rediscover the joy of riding all over again.

Not yet, but maybe close...-vkl_3493.jpg
    Last edited by tooter; 08-01-2019 at 07:38 PM.
    2018 GROM: Modified for reliability longevity gas mileage... and fun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    [CITA = tooter; 467800] Rasca tu picazón, Danny. Consigue un mono.

Las bicicletas pequeñas son perfectas para los viejos.
    Es un pequeño compromiso. A los 71 años, soy el piloto más viejo aquí y ya tengo 5,000 millas en mi Grom desde enero. Así que mi consejo es redescubrir la alegría de volver a montar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VKL_3493.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	82194[/CITAR]
    With your permission :gran sonrisa:

Not yet, but maybe close...-ci-8xcqwwaalqgo1.jpg
    50-50 and tooter like this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    I would bet that your Monkey WILL reinvigorate your desire to ride. I have a Buell that sat, mostly unridden for a couple of years. I got my Grom and I ride it all the time. I love this little bike!

Buy the Monkey and have fun! If, for some reason, you don't like it the resale market is still pretty good for those bikes.

This user has no status.

Member #
    So anyone who visits the Monkey section will probably already know that I did in fact pick up a Monkey just a few days after getting the itch. On the way home from work one afternoon, I decided at the last minute to divert to the nearby stealer and take a closer look at the last one they had in person. Didn’t even ride it, just sat on it, talked to a sales guy, filled out the paperwork, then just waited a few days for a ride back to pick it up.

And yes, it has reignited my desire to ride. It’s such a different riding experience – no compulsion to ride like a lunatic, because it’s just not that kind of bike. I stay off the highway, and it’s such a joy to putt-putt around the secondary roads to wherever in going. We’ve had a couple of weeks of really nice weather, so I’ve been taking it to work a lot. The ‘long way’ I have to take now is about 40 minutes each way. Since I picked it up on July 11th, I’ve put on almost 600 miles already. In fact, tomorrow I’ll be doing the first oil change.

I can’t explain what’s different now. The past several years, I kind of really didn’t care if I rode or not. It became more of a chore to dress up and get out. Now I really look forward to being able to ride again. Not obsessive like some riders who just have to be on a bike every possible minute, I just enjoy riding again when I can. I’ve wondered if I might go back up to a ‘normal’ size small-displacement bike again, like a CB300R or something, but right now I’m thinking not. I’m having too much fun being silly with my Monkey.

is zipzip

Member #
    Odometer
    welcome to you from the midwest
    ★ Signature: Motorized Hide Plate & Universal Fender Eliminator by: 007Plate.com

This user has no status.

Member #
    Welcome, and spank your future monkey!

Sponsored Links