Those looking for sprockets.... READ THIS!!
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Those looking for sprockets.... READ THIS!! within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Alright, as many may know the crf50 rear sprocket has the same inner hole diameter, stud pattern, and stud hole size. the only difference is ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Those looking for sprockets.... READ THIS!!

This user has no status.

Member #

Alright, as many may know the crf50 rear sprocket has the same inner hole diameter, stud pattern, and stud hole size. the only difference is the CRF50 rear sprocket has tapered holes and the grom does not.

Solution, simply turn the 4 nuts that hold the stock grom sprocket on around, so the rounded edge of the nut faces inward to align with the tapered hole, use some locktite and call it good.

Cool thing about the CRF50 rear is they offer larger rear sizes for cheap.... IE the JT Sprockets JTR1213 smallest size is a 37 (3 teeth larger than the stock 34).

If you do the math... this is almost exactly the same as ever popular dropping 1 tooth in front (14/34 = 2.428:1 15/37 = 2.4666:1) But this has a benefit of keeping a larger diameter front for less chain wear... and it makes things cheap if you are replacing both front n rear sprockets n chain like i was. (420 stock pitch chain)

The JTR1213.37 is all of 17 bucks n change on amazon

The JTF249.15 (15tooth front) is all of 8.79 on amazon

Also the JTR1213 rear is a nice black finish that blends in nicely with my black grom!

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #
    i have a 36 crf one on mine. i used some thin walled washers under the stock nuts, it went into the cup nicely, but i like your idea as well.

i run this:

PBI Sprockets Rear 36T Aluminum for Honda CRF50F XR50R | eBay
    A bunch of old stuff that runs. 2stroke grom build...in process.. eventually...

is enjoying Grom Life.

Member #
    Resurrecting this because searching for info results in hundreds of pages. Holy moly.

Anyways, instead of starting a new thread, again. I'll ask here. I'm sure it's been asked a million times, so sorry.

On my CRF250L, a popular upgrade was a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket. The CRF250L's are 6 speeds, and the bike didn't have enough power to overcome the stock gearing. Going down 1 in front actually increased the top speed for most people. I say most because the smaller guys didn't have a problem with stock gearing. Well, the Grom has even less power than the CRF, so does the same apply here? Will going to a 14t front increase top speed for a bigger guy? I know it sounds a$$ backwards, but it worked on the CRF. Wondering if the same holds true here.
    2015 Grom - Black and White Sissy Lala Fart Around Bike
    2014 Honda CB1000R - Black and Gold Beastly Demon
    Instagram: Old_Goat_Ninja

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is Living the Dream

Member #
    16/32 that is all you need for BBK if you want speed and high end top speed make sure you get the PBI sprockets made in the USA, P/N 3015-32 rear silver, P/N 321-16 C/S front. Home

is enjoying Grom Life.

Member #
    I don't care too much for top speed. Just curious if a 1 tooth smaller sprocket will increase top speed as a side effect.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Goat Ninja View Post
    Resurrecting this because searching for info results in hundreds of pages. Holy moly.

Anyways, instead of starting a new thread, again. I'll ask here. I'm sure it's been asked a million times, so sorry.

On my CRF250L, a popular upgrade was a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket. The CRF250L's are 6 speeds, and the bike didn't have enough power to overcome the stock gearing. Going down 1 in front actually increased the top speed for most people. I say most because the smaller guys didn't have a problem with stock gearing. Well, the Grom has even less power than the CRF, so does the same apply here? Will going to a 14t front increase top speed for a bigger guy? I know it sounds a$$ backwards, but it worked on the CRF. Wondering if the same holds true here.
    Short answer is yes. On a stock Grom going to a 14 tooth front for a big guy over 200lbs will give you more use of 4th gear and likely more top speed. Just remember unless you get something to correct it the speedo will now read about 3mph faster than you are actually going.
    Old Goat Ninja likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    FYi.... going -1 up front (equiv. to +3 rear) will improve lower torque, but will sacrifice top end. In other words, you'll get up to speed a bit quicker, but will lose some top speed. The inverse: +1 up front = -3 rear
    2014 Grom (Red)

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
    FYi.... going -1 up front (equiv. to +3 rear) will improve lower torque, but will sacrifice top end. In other words, you'll get up to speed a bit quicker, but will lose some top speed. The inverse: +1 up front = -3 rear
    The problem is the grom simply does not have the power to pull through 4th gear going -1 in the front (or +3 in the rear like i did) yeilds a grom that has a faster top speed and gets there quicker.

I am so glad i went with the 15/37 sprocket combo, less wear on the chain and way more pep in its step.

is Gromming

Member #
    I run a 14T (-1) JT front sprocket and it's one of my favorite mods, it makes the bike feel a lot more peppy. I had never hit redline in 4th stock, and I still haven't. My speedo is fast by about 3 mph now.

is enjoying Grom Life.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
    The problem is the grom simply does not have the power to pull through 4th gear going -1 in the front (or +3 in the rear like i did) yeilds a grom that has a faster top speed and gets there quicker.

I am so glad i went with the 15/37 sprocket combo, less wear on the chain and way more pep in its step.
    Exactly what I figured. Thanks for reply. Just ordered the 14t sprocket. On a bigger bike going down in front lowers top speed, but on smaller bikes it seems to have the opposite effect because of HP deficit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links