Grom and Oil Observations - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Grom and Oil Observations

This is a discussion on Grom and Oil Observations within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Originally Posted by vinnie That's a fast conclusion...you have a lot to take into consideration. Rider weight, how long at wot, how long of a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Grom and Oil Observations

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
    That's a fast conclusion...you have a lot to take into consideration. Rider weight, how long at wot, how long of a day with the oil at temperature, flat ground or uphill battles, and there's more. A lot of groms I have ridden with have also consumed close to the same amount of oil as me when we go on long rides
    I have been working on and dealing with engines enough to look at what you report, and think there is a problem. If my engine where doing what yours was, I would be getting similar results and dirty oil... I do not have to do climbs, and every type of riding imaginable in Evey temperature on earth to know when an engine is burning more oil than it should, and to know when the oil is getting prematurely dirty.

I know you do not want to face it, but I think you have a problem with your engine. Not a huge problem, but an annoying one that will cause you to add and change oil more often.

Mike

is bTuUsNaAnSuUtB

Member #
    By the consensus of this thread, burning oil is pretty normal.. I wouldn't think too much about it just keep an eye on it if you're doing extended high rpm WOT riding

Banned
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Strokd_GE View Post
    By the consensus of this thread, burning oil is pretty normal.. I wouldn't think too much about it just keep an eye on it if you're doing extended high rpm WOT riding
    burn baby burn

said this on page 1
    Strokd_GE likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #
    mine used a 1/4 quart during break in, but after that first few hundred miles, was ok. after bbk break in, again, used a bit but after 150-200 miles consumption stopped.
    A bunch of old stuff that runs. 2stroke grom build...in process.. eventually...

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
    That's a fast conclusion...you have a lot to take into consideration. Rider weight, how long at wot, how long of a day with the oil at temperature, flat ground or uphill battles, and there's more.
    If what you posted above where a requirement to determine if your motorcycle were burning to much oil, and getting the oil prematurely dirty: Then NO MOTORCYCLE in the southern USA would EVER be diagnosed as an oil burner, or having excess blow-by the rings....

I wonder how anyone in the southern , or central USA could ever diagnose these problems since we do not have hills.

Wow, I feel bad for any larger displacement motorcycle guy that has been using oil, when someone tells him he can not know anything, unless he he has run wide open throttle for hours, and does full throttle hill climbs...

Your entire premise is FLAWED. It seems to me you do NOT WANT the answer, since you put so many ridiculous requirements before you accept the obvious truth.

Mike

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    I have a bit over 5000 miles.
    doesnt burn enough to notice and I run about 80% wot.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojomoto View Post
    I have a bit over 5000 miles.
    doesnt burn enough to notice and I run about 80% wot.
    I run WOT most of the time also... Lots of highway riding, I do not like riding int he city. One thing a LOT of people do not understand, is that the engine will reach its operating temperature within 5 or 10 minutes of WOT and stay there. It does not matter if you are riding 15 minutes or 10 hours at wide open throttle, it just is not going to get any hotter.

Mike

is Loving the Grom

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPilot View Post
    I run WOT most of the time also... Lots of highway riding, I do not like riding int he city. One thing a LOT of people do not understand, is that the engine will reach its operating temperature within 5 or 10 minutes of WOT and stay there. It does not matter if you are riding 15 minutes or 10 hours at wide open throttle, it just is not going to get any hotter.

Mike
    That's not true based on several groms I've ridden on for long periods. Temps rise and lower based on the additional load on the engine...climbing the cherohala skyway in the Smoky Mountains is would be an example of Temps rising the whole time above this "wot temperature" you speak of. They also rise tremendously when you draft a vehicle after the "wot temperature" is reached.

There's no need to get all temperamental on here. You're on here saying how most people don't get this stuff and this and that. You're the same guy who said to over inflate your tires for has mileage and top speed increases
    Successfully ridden the Grom in NY, NJ, CT, MA, NH, VM, ME, ON CA, PA, WV, VA, MD, DC, NC, GA, AL, TN

Best way to reach me these days is by PM

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    This is an old thread, I realize, and I am simply bumping it forward as opposed to starting a new thread.

I am at little over 1000 miles on my 2017 Grom — done several oil changes during the break-in process. The last oil change, however, was at 600 miles, so there has been about 400 miles since that last oil change, during which the bike has seen hard, hot running with plenty of WOT. Although the little window on the Kitaco clutch cover seemed to show enough oil (near as I could tell), I DID lose some oil. I added a full liter at last oil change, and I recovered slightly less than 800 mls of oil during this oil change. By my math, that means I might be burning off about 50 mls of oil per 100 miles driven.

I really am not sure if that is a lot of oil loss, or if that is typical of this engine under these operating conditions. In some ways, I guess it really doesn’t matter much, as the exhaust emissions are clear - with no smell of oil — and the plug looks pretty good (no visible indication of fouling), and I have no intention of digging deeper into this issue unless the bike starts to run abnormally. I am just sharing information with others — I currently seem to be burning about 50 mls oil per 100 miles.
    Illustratorius likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Addendum to my previous post: I do replace the oil filter cartridge with each oil change. While I cannot imagine the oil loss from discarding the oil filter to be very significant (10-20 mls, maybe?), I should also note that point.
    Illustratorius likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links