Best way to tune intake exhaust and cam
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Best way to tune intake exhaust and cam within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Had a yoshi exhaust for a while, planning on installing a TB cam and chimera intake. What would be the best way to tune the ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Fat Will
  • 1 Post By CDN Grom
  • 1 Post By Fat Will

Thread: Best way to tune intake exhaust and cam

This user has no status.

Member #

Had a yoshi exhaust for a while, planning on installing a TB cam and chimera intake. What would be the best way to tune the bike for all 3 installs? I was looking into PCV, but it doesn’t have a cam option on their maps.

is just riding.

Member #
    Odometer
    Hands down the best and most cost effective way to go.

https://www.dhmotoring.com/product/campackage
    Paultergeist and 50-50 like this.

is dialing in the bike for my
    wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    Agreed - simple and cost effective. I have CJR variant - huge improvement over stock. Take advantage of the Black Friday specials on now too.
    50-50 likes this.
    2015 OG Grom in Yellow - CJR ECU, TB cam, MNNTHBX Mtake, Outerwears, AODRacing high mount exhaust, FXCNC rearsets with GP shift, Koso temp gauge, TST sliders, ContiScoot tires, EBC HH front pads, RideItMoto levers, Renthal Road low bars and kevlar grips, Aliexpress tail tidy, Aliexpress 'Rizoma' axle sliders,

Pending - oil cooler, CoreMoto braided lines, kepspeed swingarm

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Will View Post
    Hands down the best and most cost effective way to go.

https://www.dhmotoring.com/product/campackage
    This looks like a good deal to reflash your ECU for your hardware.

Not knowing what the reflash ECU will do I assume you no longer have to reset the ECU or TP via the maintenance plug or do you still have the option to reset TP "throttle position", anyone has one of these ECU chime in.

is dialing in the bike for my
    wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    This looks like a good deal to reflash your ECU for your hardware.

Not knowing what the reflash ECU will do I assume you no longer have to reset the ECU or TP via the maintenance plug or do you still have the option to reset TP "throttle position", anyone has one of these ECU chime in.
    You can still reset. From https://www.cameronjonesracing.com/h...-flash-service

ECU RESET NOTE - It is not necessary however if you would like to reset the learning trims, you may follow an ECU reset procedure. This will NOT affect the changes we made to flash your ECU. This will simply reset the short term and long term fuel trims to adapt to your motorcycle’s modifications and environment..
    2015 OG Grom in Yellow - CJR ECU, TB cam, MNNTHBX Mtake, Outerwears, AODRacing high mount exhaust, FXCNC rearsets with GP shift, Koso temp gauge, TST sliders, ContiScoot tires, EBC HH front pads, RideItMoto levers, Renthal Road low bars and kevlar grips, Aliexpress tail tidy, Aliexpress 'Rizoma' axle sliders,

Pending - oil cooler, CoreMoto braided lines, kepspeed swingarm

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Grom View Post
    You can still reset. From https://www.cameronjonesracing.com/h...-flash-service

ECU RESET NOTE - It is not necessary however if you would like to reset the learning trims, you may follow an ECU reset procedure. This will NOT affect the changes we made to flash your ECU. This will simply reset the short term and long term fuel trims to adapt to your motorcycle’s modifications and environment..
    Very cool, I was more worried about grom users that need to reset the TP "throttle position", Thanks for the reply

is just riding.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    Very cool, I was more worried about grom users that need to reset the TP "throttle position", Thanks for the reply

One of the big selling points for me was that the ECU retains all the factory options, ie. cold start.
    50-50 likes this.

is Hauling ass on a Grom.

Member #
    Odometer
    For my last mod, I used my Dynojet PV3 with a canned map and simply raised my rpm limit to 10k rpm. That was after installing the less hot Takegawa cam (compared to TB, but still hotter than stock). My bike also has the radiator hose modded intake with a UNI filter. I've since hit 79 mph indicated on the stock 124cc displacement. My GPS correction on the indicated (not in the video) 79 mph (rev limit / fuel cutofff) is 74 mph as recorded on my GPS device.

I just kept the already flashed and canned map that was provided with the PV3 device I purchased. Once I installed the cam, the PV3 let me easily and quickly bump the rpm limit to 10k. That's what a top end, high hp cam is good for in general, just up the rev limit to get even more out of it. I did no tuning after installing the cam, just raised the limiter. My Grom runs awesome, fuel injection!

Here's a video of one of my runs with the rev limit set at 9,700 rpm before I put in the cam and before I flashed the ecu to a 10k rpm limit. I've also got a 36T rear sprocket which makes the GPS necessary for top speed verification. The 9700 rpm and 36T rear sprocket combo gets an indicated 77 mph at the rev limit (see 7:07 in the video).

This is legit! Skip to 5:10 for the sustained 70mph top speed run on the stock displacement 124cc engine with the stock cam. That's a mile marker under the GPS speedo : ) I'm approaching 3,000 miles within the year since I bought the Grom new. The super mini, super man engine seems to be bullet proof. I go WOT a lot and still get 110 mpg with all the mods.

Last edited by Leo310; 11-22-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Sponsored Links