Swingarm Shaft is Stuck.
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Swingarm Shaft is Stuck.

This is a discussion on Swingarm Shaft is Stuck. within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; The Swingarm shaft wasn’t coming out, so I got a screwdriver... only thing big enough was that philips head, and I tried pushing the shaft ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Swingarm Shaft is Stuck.

This user has no status.

Member #

Swingarm Shaft is Stuck.

The Swingarm shaft wasn’t coming out, so I got a screwdriver... only thing big enough was that philips head, and I tried pushing the shaft out... it didn’t come out, but the screwdriver actually got stuck. I tried so hard to get it out, it just won’t budge.

Now for the axle, it won’t move at all. In or out, clockwise or counter. I used WD40, then got a hammer and tried to hammer it in with full force, no movement. I even got an impact and tried so hard to get it to move, not a single mm moved.

I’m thinking either the shaft is bent, or it’s getting stuck. I kind of feel like the screwdriver got stuck in the frame or something, and that’s stopping the shaft to come out. Again, I went full force with a hammer and tried to push the shaft back in, but it just won’t work.

I then took off the shock and put the bike on the stand (pictured) and the Swingarm was moving up and down, but it wasn’t wobbling and the shaft still didn’t move even with the impact.

What am I looking at here? What about the screwdriver? How will I get that out?

A few people gave me some tips. One said to put a ladder over the grom, get some straps, take off the shock, and raise the rear of the bike. Another said to tilt the bike and torch the bolt, then throw Ice Cold water on it (he said it'll shrink it). What do you guys say to do? I have a build to take care of and something small like that is stopping me from doing so. Please HELP. Thanks

This user has no status.

Member #
    Swingarm Shaft is Stuck.-img_7689.jpgSwingarm Shaft is Stuck.-img_7690.jpgSwingarm Shaft is Stuck.-img_7691.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7691.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	83770

This user has no status.

Member #
    I'm seriously stressing over it... like I can't finish my build because of it. I'm seriously hopeless. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    you need to get that screwdriver out of there first. sounds like its wedged between the swingarm bolt and the frame stopping all forward progress.

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    is Wishing I was riding....

Member #
    Why is the chain still on the bike? It the rear wheel on as well? If so, you're adding pressure to the pivot that's working against you. Get all of that stuff gone, remove the screwdriver, and use the rearset as a slap hammer, while the swingarm is held in alignment. This is all super basic and fundamental mechanical stuff. Avoid the "get a bigger hammer" mindset. Moving forward, I'd put more emphasis on cleaning and maintenance. Nasty parts generally come apart nasty.
    Top Shelf parts & accessories WWW.MNNTHBX.COM

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MNNTHBX View Post
    Why is the chain still on the bike? It the rear wheel on as well? If so, you're adding pressure to the pivot that's working against you. Get all of that stuff gone, remove the screwdriver, and use the rearset as a slap hammer, while the swingarm is held in alignment. This is all super basic and fundamental mechanical stuff. Avoid the "get a bigger hammer" mindset. Moving forward, I'd put more emphasis on cleaning and maintenance. Nasty parts generally come apart nasty.
    yeah the bike is getting fully disassembled anyways for cleaning + maintenance, so I'll do that too. Yeah I got a new chain+sprockets sitting in the garage.

I think I'll take the shock off again. Do you suggest putting the bike on a lift stand, or would you do the ladder strap method?

This user has no status.

Member #
    I'd probably set it on the kickstand while I was trying to get the screwdriver out.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    I'd probably set it on the kickstand while I was trying to get the screwdriver out.
    I tried it all (aside from the ladder strap thing). I did it with the shock on and off, on the lift stand and on the kickstand... I'll take off the wheel and the chain again, as well as the shock again. Finally I'll lift the rear with straps under a ladder. Hopefully that'll help (don't know how it'll help, but I'm down to do anything). If that doesn't work, I'll try the heat + water method, and if THAT doesn't work, it's time to go to the dealership

This user has no status.

Member #
    wait wait...

you are trying to remove the swingarm bolt with the bike still sitting on its own weight..... lol what?

is pew pew pew

Member #
    nd4spdbh is right, you have to relieve all pressure from the swingarm. That means that it needs to be raised by the frame only.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links