Tearing non-bbk engine apart with rattles-Cam chain question
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Tearing non-bbk engine apart with rattles-Cam chain question within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; I've got my motor in my room for the winter since it has a rattling issue going on. Has 16k miles on engine, 1k on ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tearing non-bbk engine apart with rattles-Cam chain question

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer

I've got my motor in my room for the winter since it has a rattling issue going on. Has 16k miles on engine, 1k on new piston. Air intake with exhaust, ran lean for 15k miles.
    Engine has been ran hard most of its life while taking caution to let it warm up. Valves are also adjusted.

The top side of the piston sleeve where the cam chain runs through, has marks. I'm not sure if this is normal or not? If it isn't, should I replace the tensioner, or more than that?

My original goal was to replace some internal bearings, and to see if I can find anything that may have broken off inside the engine.
    I suspect it may be a bearing issue since this person had an issue aswell. https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles..._miles_of_all/

Tearing non-bbk engine apart with rattles-Cam chain question-20191112_165730_hdr.jpgTearing non-bbk engine apart with rattles-Cam chain question-20191112_165701_hdr.jpg

is Living the Dream

Member #
    read or look up my old posting,

Get yourself the Koso cam chain tensioner arm and GromFatherZ cam chain tensioner adjustment unit and be done, best money spent to solve your cam chain problem.

Also do yourself a favor and lap your intake and exhaust valve and do a port matching of the intake pipe tube I/D and also your exhaust I/D pipe.

good luck
    Last edited by CiscoSanJose; 11-12-2019 at 06:33 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    No, it's not normal for the cam chain to start wearing away the cylinder. That means it was out of adjustment.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    No, it's not normal for the cam chain to start wearing away the cylinder. That means it was out of adjustment.
    GromFatherZ cam chain adjustment unit and be done.

This user has no status.

Member #
    what does the cam chain tensioner top button and wheel look like? The stock rubber button and wheel are known to wear. I run a finbro CT70 wheel and nylon button with zero issues. Best of all auto cam chain tension like stock.

I wouldnt be spliting cases before looking and inspecting tensioner and idler wheels / button. I highly doubt anything inside the case (crank bearings etc) are bad.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Couldn't get a great picture of the rubbers, however the tensioner rubber has some wear on it.
    Also I have an old grom head (had to replace because I broke exhaust threads), and there is significantly much less cam chain wear compared to this new head which only has less than half of the mileage on it.

Tearing non-bbk engine apart with rattles-Cam chain question-20191113_140436.jpg

Tearing non-bbk engine apart with rattles-Cam chain question-20191113_135748-copy.jpg Tearing non-bbk engine apart with rattles-Cam chain question-20191113_135247.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tearing non-bbk engine apart with rattles-Cam chain question-20191113_135748.jpg  

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    I got the upgraded cam chain tensioner parts installed and threw the motor back in the frame. I've still got the same rattling issues

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben7000555 View Post
    I got the upgraded cam chain tensioner parts installed and threw the motor back in the frame. I've still got the same rattling issues
    Time to check bottom end bearing play then

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben7000555 View Post

yep it will happen every time until you put a adjustable cam unit like the one GromFatherZ makes or JapanWebike has something similar.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    here is my old posting on adjustable cam chain tensioner

https://www.hondagrom.net/forums/7-g...ioner-pic.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links