N O S... What are the thoughts and opinions of DOING this?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on N O S... What are the thoughts and opinions of DOING this? within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; A friend of mine has plans to not only NOS his grom but also TURBO it... This is what he has found so far... Claims ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: N O S... What are the thoughts and opinions of DOING this?

is 8.5.Zer0's Fastest!Grom

Member #
    Florida, Respect the Locals and our Beach!
    Odometer

A friend of mine has plans to not only NOS his grom but also TURBO it...

This is what he has found so far... Claims no custom tune if using 4hp jet, Def got me thinking so lets hear pros and cons.

Not Shit Talk Opinions but actual helpful feedback and insight! and Post a link if you have a better option / vendor

DynoTune Product, grom_z125-GROM & Z125 Motorcycle Nitrous Kit universal Kit - DynoTune, Nitrous systems, Purge kits, Nitrous Bottle heaters and more!

This user has no status.

Member #
    A dry kit that provides approximately 40-50% more air mass (over stock est. 9 hp) at it's lowest jetting and no fueling added? Sounds like a GREAAAAT idea...

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Wow......that seems really cool, although I confess that I do not have the technical knowledge to fully evaluate the pros and cons.

One question: how long does that nitrous bottle last?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is is installing a crank and 5
    speed

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsaturn7085 View Post
    A dry kit that provides approximately 40-50% more air mass (over stock est. 9 hp) at it's lowest jetting and no fueling added? Sounds like a GREAAAAT idea...
    The description does say that it changes the fueling, but it's also very very vague and sounds more like a sales line...

"...we can fool the bikes EFI system into adding the little extra fuel you need to make some sweet power!"

Still, its pretty cool. But not something I'd ever dare to do to my poor Grom's engine.
    2015 Grom
    Koso 4V | Aracer AF1, DG1, MiniPlus2 | Kitaco Crank | Takegawa 5 Speed
    Kitaco CCT | Takegawa Oil Pump & 4th bearing | GF Billet Cam Cover
    34mm TB | MP Rev2 | PT CR High | Renthal Clamps
    Kitaco Clutch Cover & Oil Cooler | GF Speed Spacers
    Brembo 4P & P34 | BRAKING Rotors | Galfer SS Lines
    Driven TT Rearsets | OTB V2 Adjusters | MNNTHBX Swingarm Bushings
    RacingBrothers Sus. | Hindle High Mount | Saddlemen Seat | 428 conv. 15/36
    Mitas MC35S 100/120 | Gcraft Linear Damper Setup

is fiddling with RZ350's now!

Member #
    Odometer
    Only up to a 6 hp gain. And for short bursts. After all the bottle has to be smallish. Maybe on top of a BBK, but not in place of it. YMMV
    2018 Grom
    Koso 170 4V/34mm TB/Koso injector/ DIY intake/ aRacer Mini5 + AF1 + DG1
    Koso pump & chain tensioner/ Stock clutch ring / 60% stiffer springs
    Takegawa Crank Support Bearing / Takegawa Catch Can / Kitaco Clutch cover
    Clear cam sprocket cover/ Egay oil Cooler
    Ohlins F&R / Hindle exhaust w DB killer / Galfer brake line w EBC HH Pads
    Pro Taper grips, G2 throttle tube / Gromfatherz axle spacers
    Kepspeed alum. swingarm / Bar end mirror, RAM mount, USB Port
    Seat Concepts / Opmid V2

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsaturn7085 View Post
    Cant help but take this as scarcasm lol... You dont have to agree with it, just provide input on why one shouldnt or how one can make do-able properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    Wow......that seems really cool, although I confess that I do not have the technical knowledge to fully evaluate the pros and cons.

One question: how long does that nitrous bottle last?
    No idea??? one of the reasons Im posting hopefully someone will give a little more insight Good or Bad...

Quote Originally Posted by OpusNectar View Post
    The description does say that it changes the fueling, but it's also very very vague and sounds more like a sales line...

"...we can fool the bikes EFI system into adding the little extra fuel you need to make some sweet power!"

Still, its pretty cool. But not something I'd ever dare to do to my poor Grom's engine.
    Im sure its just as simple as emailing them to get Honset answers too,,, exactly why im asking you guys
    Not sure if I would do to my grom either but my buddy has goals, will definitely let him do it first if anything

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by WV_Grom View Post
    Only up to a 6 hp gain. And for short bursts. After all the bottle has to be smallish. Maybe on top of a BBK, but not in place of it. YMMV
    Wut up WV,,,

Not a bbk or in place of, staying stockbore with supporting mods... But is this ok with stock crank?

is doing grom things

Member #
    One of the biggest issues with dry shots of nitrous, is the lean condition caused by it. If this was a properly tuned wet shot, it would be a million times safer. I would worry that the stock ECU and/or injector wouldn't be able to keep up with the rapid demand for fuel. Remember, nitrous is a chemical supercharger... it only speeds up the process. And as others have stated, on a bike where different handlebars make a measurable difference in weight and drag, adding a small bottle will pretty much be your only realistic option.

Turbocharging a single cylinder 4 stroke is very difficult considering how exhaust pulses are what spins the turbine. Having one pulse per every two whole revolutions is going to be a challenge to keep the turbo moving. The only ones I know of that work well with turbos are the guys doing the Raptor 700 builds. Which I would imagine is because of the sheer displacement being able to keep the turbine spinning. This is even difficult to achieve on a 450, or so I'm told. Now on top of that, you have to figure out oil feed and return plumbing, exhaust and intercooler piping, how you will tune (really need something that can utilize a MAP sensor to read boost), including another handful of issues I can't think of at this point in the day.

Cliff notes: both turbo and NOS on a Grom are more of a conversation piece than a practical way of adding power to a Grom... IMHO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    dubSolo likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Unless you know what you're doing playing with nitrous is gambling with your engine with bad odds. If you don't know what you're doing you're probably going to blow it up. It would be fun while it lasted though!

You should at least get the nitrous kit from a reputable place. I'm not saying Dyno Tune isn't a reputable place, but I've never heard of them and the website looks like it was made in Mom's basement overnight.

Do your research on the company and on nitrous before you buy!

I know a guy that had nitrous in his 5.0 fox body Mustang. It caught on fire and the nitrous bottle turned into a bomb. There wasn't much left of the rear of that Mustang. Blew the sum' bitch to pieces! Another guy that had a beautiful '65 Mustang with nitrous. He didn't know what he was doing and it over revved the engine and blew it up.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I second what 50-50 said. You had better know what you are doing if you mess with NOS. Many kits have a switch that keeps the NOS from activating unless you are at WOT so that the fuel mappings can be set correctly. I have seen people bypass that switch or use a setup that does not have one and then run their engine so lean that they burn it up in seconds. Keeping the fuel pressure up to match the NOS is not always easy, from what I understand. I tried to put a 100 shot on my Mustang years ago, but I couldn't find a company that I trusted, and I had no experience to do it myself.
    50-50 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links