Exhaust
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Exhaust

This is a discussion on Exhaust within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; UK based owner here, with a 2017 SF MSX/GROM. I'm looking to get a new exhaust/full system as I want to improve the looks & ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Exhaust

is here.

Member #

Question Exhaust

UK based owner here, with a 2017 SF MSX/GROM.
    I'm looking to get a new exhaust/full system as I want to improve the looks & sound, I'm not bothered about any performance increase, so I'd like to keep the cost down.

I'm seriously looking at these eBay/Amazon/Chinese 'no-name' low mount full systems but would like opinions (please no flaming!), and possibly word from anyone with real world experience of using one?

Thanks, Z.
    Last edited by zphinx; 10-16-2019 at 05:09 AM.
    m2Boost likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Alright Z, I have what most would consider a cheap shitty A.R pipe, I had a more expensive but louder one fitted prior, if your not bothered about performance (I don't think with a standard engine and modded air box a pipe no matter how much it costs is going to make that much difference) and just want to change from the standard heavy cat pipe for looks and to make more noise the cheap pipe they have on e-bay for £75.00 will do fine. buy one run it if it stays together happy days if not get a more expensive one at the end of the day it's £75.00. I'll bet if you ride over the winter and clean the salt off it will last long enough that if you break it down on cost v miles covered it will be nothing.
    good luck with whatever you go for.
    Last edited by Davey K; 10-16-2019 at 11:02 AM.
    zphinx likes this.
    Following VR|46 and all things Moto GP.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    I can confirm that a good exhaust, intake and fuel controller or ECU reflash definitely affects performance in a good way.

If you just want a noise maker then a cheap exhaust will do. But there's no guarantee it's not going to fall apart. Lots of people love their cheap exhaust and then others have had them fall apart.
    zphinx likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is here.

Member #
    Thanks Davey & 50-50.

I fully expect that a cheap one will require extra TLC to keep it running.

In terms of the health of the bike (mechanically) I shouldn't expect any negative effects using a cheap system over a pricey one?

When installing would it be worth doing an ECU reset for good measure? I forgot to mention but the bike is stock apart from cosmetic mod's.

Specifically, this is the one I'm dancing around.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-MSX...7/362629328287

Exhaust-ex.jpg

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey K View Post
    (I don't think with a standard engine and modded air box a pipe no matter how much it costs is going to make that much difference)
    LOL, not exactly accurate. I have two SF Groms and when I did nothing but add a full Yosh RS2 pipe to one of them, it just walked away from the other Grom. Night and day difference in power (and of course sound). A quality pipe makes a BIG difference in power (and torque).

Now the OP doesn't care about power, so the Zoom or the really cheap pipes will work. Here is a pic of someones that I captured, but I can't remember the name of the pipe. I thought it was one of the less expensive ones. Someone will chime in, I'm sure.

Exhaust-389c3d28-f660-44ae-a1a9-176adca57054_1517723291389.jpeg

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by S1930 View Post
    LOL, not exactly accurate. I have two SF Groms and when I did nothing but add a full Yosh RS2 pipe to one of them, it just walked away from the other Grom. Night and day difference in power (and of course sound). A quality pipe makes a BIG difference in power (and torque).

Now the OP doesn't care about power, so the Zoom or the really cheap pipes will work. Here is a pic of someones that I captured, but I can't remember the name of the pipe. I thought it was one of the less expensive ones. Someone will chime in, I'm sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	389C3D28-F660-44AE-A1A9-176ADCA57054_1517723291389.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	307.9 KB 
ID:	83340
    That's the old AR or generic shorty pipe,

With regards to your 2 bikes, I'm sure the pipe helped out as the ones I fitted to my bike did. But it's been debated lots of times on this forum that no two bikes are alike when it comes to power & speed, Cisco has two grom's and I'm sure in standard form one was faster than the other, I also recall one member it may have been Paulltergeist who put a pipe on and found it made less power speed than his stock one. I'm talking about basic airbox mod and pipe only here no fuel controller, intake, re-flash etc.

In real world terms just how BIG of a performance upgrade are we talking about really, surly no one is gaining massive MPH or BHP from the basic air box mod and pipe are they?
    Last edited by Davey K; 10-16-2019 at 11:06 AM.
    Following VR|46 and all things Moto GP.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey K View Post
    That's the old AR or generic shorty pipe,

With regards to your 2 bikes, I'm sure the pipe helped out as the ones I fitted to my bike did. But it's been debated lots of times on this forum that no two bikes are alike when it comes to power & speed, Cisco has two grom's and I'm sure in standard form one was faster than the other, I also recall one member it may have been Paulltergeist who put a pipe on and found it made less power speed than his stock one. I'm talking about basic airbox mod and pipe only here no fuel controller, intake, re-flash etc.

In real world terms just how BIG of a performance upgrade are we talking about really, surly no one is gaining massive MPH or BHP from the basic air box mod and pipe are they?
    While Groms do vary simply through manufacturing variances they are typically close in performance not including outliers.

It's rare that a modern 4-stroke benefits from an airbox and exhaust mod because they come so lean from the factory.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by zphinx View Post
    Thanks Davey & 50-50.

I fully expect that a cheap one will require extra TLC to keep it running.

In terms of the health of the bike (mechanically) I shouldn't expect any negative effects using a cheap system over a pricey one?

When installing would it be worth doing an ECU reset for good measure? I forgot to mention but the bike is stock apart from cosmetic mod's.

Specifically, this is the one I'm dancing around.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-MSX...7/362629328287

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ex.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	83338
    That one should be just fine.

Regardless of which exhaust you choose, your engine will ONLY respond to TWO things... the length and diameter of the head pipe. That's all and nothing else. Mufflers are irrelevant to performance and are only for appearance and sound. Long head pipes produce more low rpm torque. Short pipes produce more high rpm horsepower. Small diameter head pipes work best for stock displacement engines. Large diameter head pipes work best for BBKs.

I ride for efficient economical transportation so I want all the low rpm torque I can get, and that's why I chose TOCE because it has longest small diameter head pipe of any exhaust. I average 145 miles per gallon using this exhaust.

Exhaust-img_1181.jpg

While there is a performance difference in long and short exhausts, it isn't a huge one, so choose whichever one you like the appearance and sound the most.
    Last edited by tooter; 10-16-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    zphinx and Davey K like this.
    2018 GROM: Modified for reliability longevity gas mileage... and fun.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by tooter View Post
    Regardless of which exhaust you choose, your engine will ONLY respond to TWO things... the length and diameter of the head pipe. That's all and nothing else. Mufflers are irrelevant to performance and are only for appearance and sound.
    That's 100% not true. Mufflers do affect flow and therefore performance.

is fiddling with RZ350's now!

Member #
    Odometer
    I think Tooter"s response "regardless of the muffler" is regarding mufflers that have a large baffle screen. All aftermarket mufflers that I have seen, have a muffler ID the same size as the pipe before it. In this case Tooter is correct. Now if you want to talk stock OEM muffler that is not true, but I do not believe Tooter was thinking of such a restrictive system when he made that comment.

Please carry on...
    tooter likes this.
    2018 Grom
    Koso 170 4V/34mm TB/Koso injector/ DIY intake/ aRacer Mini5 + AF1 + DG1
    Koso pump & chain tensioner/ Stock clutch ring / 60% stiffer springs
    Takegawa Crank Support Bearing / Takegawa Catch Can / Kitaco Clutch cover
    Clear cam sprocket cover/ Egay oil Cooler
    Ohlins F&R / Hindle exhaust w DB killer / Galfer brake line w EBC HH Pads
    Pro Taper grips, G2 throttle tube / Gromfatherz axle spacers
    Kepspeed alum. swingarm / Bar end mirror, RAM mount, USB Port
    Seat Concepts / Opmid V2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast