Superlite Countershaft Sprocket Wobble and Vibration
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Superlite Countershaft Sprocket Wobble and Vibration within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; I purchased the Superlite 14T countershaft sprocket, Superlite 34T rear sprocket and a DID 420 NZ3 chain. The Superlite front sprocket is quite a bit ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Superlite Countershaft Sprocket Wobble and Vibration

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer

I purchased the Superlite 14T countershaft sprocket, Superlite 34T rear sprocket and a DID 420 NZ3 chain. The Superlite front sprocket is quite a bit thinner than the stock sprocket. Even with the two sprocket bolts torqued to factory specs the countershaft sprocket has a ton of play as you can see in the video below. I can even hear the sprocket vibrating when taking off and coming to a stop.

It's been so long since I changed sprockets on anything that I don't remember ever having this issue.

How do I rectify this?

is Living the Dream

Member #
    looks ok to me, my sprocket does the same thing and I'm using PBI sprockets.

is dialing in the bike for my
    wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    Washers?

Note to self, I won't buy either of those brands when I replace my sprockets
    2015 OG Grom in Yellow - AODRacing loop exhaust, ContiScoot tires, EBC HH front pads, RideItMoto levers, Renthal kevlar grips, Road low bars, CJR ECU, TB cam, MNNTHBX Mtake, Outerwears, Koso temp gauge, short shift linkage, TST sliders, Aliexpress tail tidy, Aliexpress axle sliders

Pending - oil cooler, CoreMoto braided lines, high mount exhaust, rearsets and GP shift conversion

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is wishing I could keep all the
    bikes I've owned.

Member #
    The stock honda sprocket does the same thing. I think all my old dirt bikes were the same. I believe sportbikes were the only bikes where the front sprocket had no slop (its been a long time, can't remember).
    Last edited by solidjohnny; 09-16-2019 at 12:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    It seems like there is always one more thing to buy, THEN I’ll really notice a difference in performance.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by solidjohnny View Post
    The stock honda sprocket does the same thing. I think all my old dirt bikes were the same. I believe sportbikes were the only bikes where the front sprocket had no slop (its been a long time, can't remember).
    I've never had enough slop in a sprocket to the point where I was able to hear noticeable vibrations.

is wishing I could keep all the
    bikes I've owned.

Member #
    My Grom front sprocket moves just as much what's shown in your video. All I can say is it seems fine so far. Sorry, not much comfort there. Hopefully more people can chime in!
    50-50 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    It seems like there is always one more thing to buy, THEN I’ll really notice a difference in performance.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Its by design. You are fine.

is dialing in the bike for my
    wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    Quote Originally Posted by solidjohnny View Post
    Just confirmed this myself. Bit surprised though. It's not as much as seen above but there's definitely play...
    2015 OG Grom in Yellow - AODRacing loop exhaust, ContiScoot tires, EBC HH front pads, RideItMoto levers, Renthal kevlar grips, Road low bars, CJR ECU, TB cam, MNNTHBX Mtake, Outerwears, Koso temp gauge, short shift linkage, TST sliders, Aliexpress tail tidy, Aliexpress axle sliders

Pending - oil cooler, CoreMoto braided lines, high mount exhaust, rearsets and GP shift conversion

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
    Its by design. You are fine.
    It's not fine to me. I now have an annoying sound from the vibration of the sprocket when gaining speed and when slowing. I've never before experienced that on any motorcycle or quad.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Grom View Post
    Just confirmed this myself. Bit surprised though. It's not as much as seen above but there's definitely play...
    Interesting. I may contact Superlite. The little bit of play doesn't bother me. It's the new vibration sounds that I don't like.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    we've been riding these groms since 2014 or at least I have, so when you or newbies come here for advice either do your own research or go to the horses mouth which is Honda MC dealer and ask them direct.

Most of the early grom owners know that this Front sprocket has a little slop but if you want it a little more snug than fab your own plate and holder and come back with a pic of your design and show proof your system is better than Honda engineers system.
    Last edited by CiscoSanJose; 09-16-2019 at 07:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links