Bun Burner 1500: Idiot vs. Machine
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Bun Burner 1500: Idiot vs. Machine within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; I’ll be finalizing my prep this evening for my official attempt at a Bun Burner 1500 ride (1500 miles in < 36 hours). All the ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 6 Post By MKE GROMLIN
  • 1 Post By CiscoSanJose
  • 1 Post By BUCKNUT
  • 1 Post By Leo310
  • 1 Post By MKE GROMLIN
  • 1 Post By CiscoSanJose

Thread: Bun Burner 1500: Idiot vs. Machine

is MKEthunderknuckle

Member #

I’ll be finalizing my prep this evening for my official attempt at a Bun Burner 1500 ride (1500 miles in < 36 hours). All the fuel stations along the route were contact last night and confirmed to have 24/7 fuel access at the pump. Credit card company has been notified of travel. Chain is adjusted and oil is full. Pockets? About to be stuffed with meat.

The Idiot: Me

The Machine: The mighty 124.9cc Honda Grom. Fuel Capacity: 1.45 US gal / Avg Fuel Economy: ~85 MPG / Approximate Range: 123 mi per tank / Back-up Fuel: 50 oz (33 mi) / Top Speed: 52-64 MPH, depending on windage and grade.

The Route: 1509.7 miles covering 5 states – no interstate riding. Departing Saturday 9/7 @ 7AM from the Mobil station in North Lake, WI (Rt 83 and VV) heading north towards the UP. Final stop is the same station in North Lake, hopefully by 7PM on Sunday. An average of 15 minutes per gas stop was allotted (3.5 hrs total), leaving just shy of 3.5 hours of “buffer” to complete the ride (which will all likely get used).

Tracking: I’ll be using a combination of free apps (Maps.me, Spotwalla, and SWConnect) to document and track my ride. GPS positional updates will be uploaded every 5 minutes (buffered for later upload, if cell reception is not available).

If you care, you can check in during the ride for real-time positional info via these links:
    Spotwalla Tracking
    Spotwalla Tracking (ALL Data Points)

If everything goes to plan, I should be back to the office on Monday!

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Good Luck and ride safe, be sure to carry a action video camera, wear reflective vest so the real idiots out there can see you.

Carry chain lube and tools to adjust the chain if you are using OEM chain or switch over to O-ring chain but still carry chain lube, quick fix tire patch, etc, small solar panel to charge your smartphone and other batteries, check and make sure your oil drain plug is safety wired and also your cam chain plug. Check and recheck the whole grom for possible nuts/bolts vibrating loose.

Ride it like you stole it. Be safe

I went to the Scottish games this pass weekend so for your ride I present a Scottish Safe ride send off. Borrowed video off the youtube
    Last edited by CiscoSanJose; 09-05-2019 at 02:22 PM.
    MKE GROMLIN likes this.

is Monkey off roading on Big
    Blocks

Member #
    Good Luck! Have Fun!
    MKE GROMLIN likes this.
    2014 Black Grom
    2019 Red Monkey

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is MKEthunderknuckle

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    Good Luck and ride safe, be sure to carry a action video camera, wear reflective vest so the real idiots out there can see you.

Carry chain lube and tools to adjust the chain if you are using OEM chain or switch over to O-ring chain but still carry chain lube, quick fix tire patch, etc, small solar panel to charge your smartphone and other batteries, check and make sure your oil drain plug is safety wired and also your cam chain plug. Check and recheck the whole grom for possible nuts/bolts vibrating loose.

Ride it like you stole it. Be safe

I went to the Scottish games this pass weekend so for your ride I present a Scottish Safe ride send off. Borrowed video off the youtube
    Got all the gear suggestions covered, thanks! Hopefully the Cobrra chain oiler I recently installed will minimize chain issues. I actually have ~2800mi on the Grom (OE chain) and just did my first chain adjustment last night. It was still technically in spec, but I tightened it up slightly to 30mm for good measure.

I also wired in a usb charging port to power my phone and charge my headsets.

I paint marked a bunch of fasteners after verifying torque to get a quick visual to make sure nothing is loosening, but I should do the cam chain tensioner just to be sure.

Appreciate the suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is Hauling ass on a Grom.

Member #
    Odometer
    Swing by Los Angeles and while you're at it! I'd love to go for a ride with you : )
    MKE GROMLIN likes this.

is MKEthunderknuckle

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo310 View Post
    Swing by Los Angeles and while you're at it! I'd love to go for a ride with you : )
    Maybe on the next one. 2-up challenge?

is MKEthunderknuckle

Member #
    I also posted this over on the ADVrider forum:

Hey all! After recently completing my first SaddleSore 1000 and Bun Burner 1500 ride, I'm proud to say that I'm a "pending" member of the Iron Butt Association; documentation has been submitted for official review and approval! I was able to accomplish this feat on my 2015 Honda Grom!:wings

Other than a couple of minor bolt-ons and cheap mods, the bike is pretty much stock, and I purchased used [read: budget friendly] parts, where possible, to make it a little more comfortable for the ride.

I purchased this Grom new in spring 2015 and all of the 2843 miles on the odo prior to this trip were entirely commuter miles. These were more-or-less the first "fun ride" miles on the clock.

Since I had never done a Bun Burner, I also needed to successfully complete a nested Saddle Sore 1000 to qualify for the BB1500. I spent an extensive amount of time between Google Maps, Google MyMaps, and maps.me (iPhone app) to plan a route devoid (almost completely) of interstate riding. My mighty Grom has a top cruising speed of 45-60MPH (usually closer to 50-55 MPH) depending on windage and grade. I was on the interstate briefly around Duluth, MN to get around the southwest end of Lake Superior, but luckily the speed limits on this stretch were 50-55 MPH, and it was mid afternoon on a Saturday when I passed through, so traffic was fairly light.

Spotwalla Trip Tracker:
    https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...fillFactor=100

At any rate, I based my fuel stops off my average commuting fuel efficiency of 85 MPG since installing the cam (600 miles before the start of the IBA ride). I also carried along 50 oz of reserve fuel in MSR fuel bottles. Based on the tank capacity (1.45 gal) and my reserve fuel, I figured I could go ~120 mi on a tank + ~30 mi reserve before being in trouble. In trying to maximize efficiencies, I planned several fuel stops 110-125 miles apart. Imagine my surprise when my reserve light started blinking at 65 miles, and I ran out of gas at 84 miles! 11 miles short of my first fuel stop!! :hmmmmm

Truth be told, I'd never gone a full tank at 100% WFO, and my fuel economy was actually closer to 65 MPG (~94 mi per tank + ~25 mi reserve). I had to add an additional 7 fuel stops to the original 15 to ensure I had enough fuel.

Here's the digitized trip log:

A couple other fun facts about the ride:
    1. My plan was to eat on-the-go, but 6 hours into my ride, I realized there wasn’t enough clearance between my face and my helmet to get food into my mouth. I crammed a little food in a fuel stops, and but the "food" for my ride consisted of some sausage sticks, a couple Gu Energy packets, and a few pieces of beef jerky. I was so focused on riding that I forgot I was hungry.
    2. I did not have a single fuel stop that lasted longer than 17 minutes, including drive chain adjustments; most were substantially faster.
    3. Riding was straight-through. No sleep breaks. I set a new personal record of 37.25 continuous hours without sleep (including the morning before the ride and time at home to hang up all my wet gear before falling asleep).
    4. I got stuck in a downpour in IL before hitting Rockton and my pants leaked. Most miserable riding of my life ever was the last 3 hours of the ride (and only because of the wet arse). If that had happened earlier in the ride, I never would have made it.
    Thinking I might attempt an IN-STATE BB1500 ride next spring/summer on the Grom (after upgrading the gear to something more water resistant). :loco

Cheers!
    Mikey

P.S. I wanted to mention that Barb at Alaska Leather actually donated a size small sheepskin Buttpad to me for this ride. The pad worked great, and really helped damp out the vibrations caused by the firmer Corbin seat. It also kept my rump nice and toasty during the cool evening.

FuriousD likes this.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Congrats and ride safe
    MKE GROMLIN likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Uufda. That's one hell of a ride. How was Duluth on the mini bike? Did you have to ride up the big hill heading out of town?

edit: Oh and awesome plate!
    Bun Burner 1500: Idiot vs. Machine-s3pq0rh.jpg

is MKEthunderknuckle

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
    Uufda. That's one hell of a ride. How was Duluth on the mini bike? Did you have to ride up the big hill heading out of town?

edit: Oh and awesome plate!
    Haha! Awesome!

Lots of hills on that ride. Out of Duluth and particularly all along Rt 2 along the UP. Some in IL coming out of the Mississippi River valley. Nothing that 3rd gear (sometimes 2nd) couldn’t handle.

ETA: I think I need to gear down a little with my KOSO cam. Still running stock gearing and it’s pretty flat at and below 6000 RPM. Not sure I want to go to -1 on the front, though. Need to run some numbers.

Last edited by MKE GROMLIN; Today at 07:48 PM.

Sponsored Links