Bad Vibration
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Bad Vibration

This is a discussion on Bad Vibration within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Just bought a new 2019 Grom a couple nights ago. I owned a 2015 a few years ago, but sold it after 300 miles. Been ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Bad Vibration

is squeezing Grom into a VW Bus

Member #
    Odometer
    < 200

Bad Vibration

Just bought a new 2019 Grom a couple nights ago. I owned a 2015 a few years ago, but sold it after 300 miles.

Been riding it, and discovered it has a vibration that gets worse the faster you go. Pull in the clutch and it still does it, so it's not engine related. The whole bike shakes. When I put all my weight on the pegs and/or sit on the tank, it gets a little better. Sit farther back on the seat and it doesn't change.
    When I spin the wheels by hand, I don't see any bad runout or anything, but that's spinning pretty slowly.

I suspect a bad front tire or possibly wheel. Does that sound right? It has the lousy Vee Rubber. I have tomorrow off, but all the local dealers are closed on Mondays.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    1500 km
    stock tyres are often ovalized

is smaller the cc, bigger the pp.

Member #
    I actually just went through this same exact issue and found a bad tire after literally pulling the whole bike apart.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Odometer
    < 200
    Guess I need to decide if I want to warranty this at the dealer and take a chance on another set of Vee's or just buy some better tires.

is Leaving the dream!!!

Member #
    you better off with better tires unless you cant afford it now.
    m2boost aka Ernie

'18 Gron Lemon Ice Yellow
    TST Fender Eliminator w/ Integrated turn signals
    Chimera Intake w/K&N Filter

Yoshimura RS-2 Full System
    Dyno Jet Power Commander V
    and more... to come...

Supporting Member
    This user has no status.

Member #
    I just went through this with a new 2019 PCX150. The factory IRC rear tire was out-of-round.

https://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9953

I got new tires under warranty and now it's smooth as glass.
    Last edited by zroger73; 07-21-2019 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Spelling
    MSX UD ITA likes this.

Member #
    Odometer
    < 200
    I ordered some new Pirellis that are supposed to be here Thursday so I'll just put those on and won't bother with the warranty.

$30 promo code, got them both for $80 !
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-scooter-tires

Member #
    Odometer
    < 200
    Took the rims and Pirellis to the dealer and they put them on for me. I didn't mess with the warranty, I just paid for it. Got home and realized they put the front tire on the rear rim, and rear tire on the front.
    Went back today and they swapped them for me. The service writer told me they had another new Grom with the same problem. Lousy Vee Rubber from the factory, and Honda won't do anything about it.

Got it all back together and it's much better.

Supporting Member
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by blue72beetle View Post
    The service writer told me they had another new Grom with the same problem. Lousy Vee Rubber from the factory, and Honda won't do anything about it.

Got it all back together and it's much better.
    Sure they will - it's the dealer who does't want to because the reimbursement for warranty labor from Honda is less than the customer-pay rate.

Dealers prioritize customer-pay work because they make more profit by selling the parts at a markup and charging the customer a higher labor rate than what Honda pays.

A dealer who is truly on your side would have sold you the Pirelli tires for the relatively small difference between the price of the factory tire(s) and the replacement tire(s) (if you wanted something different than the factory tires) and not charged any labor because he's already getting reimbursed by Honda. I was going to do that on my PCX that had faulty IRC tire(s), but Michelin didn't have a City Grip tire in the size I needed.

With that said, your vibration shouldn't be "much better", it should be completely gone. The replacement IRC tires on my PCX and the original Vee Rubber tires on my Grom have zero vibration.

is between rain storms :-)

Member #
    Odometer
    Part of being a dealer/franchise is honoring warranty repairs, always amazed how many businesses try to screw their customer. I know you said you didn't want to deal with it through warranty but it's part of their contract to do it. Look at it this way, they probably charged you high fees for assembly and freight for the new bike so even if they get reduced labor pay from the OEM they have it covered.
    2018 Matte Gray Metallic
    Koso TT Mirrors - Carbon
    Vagabond Motorsports Fender Eliminator
    JT 35t Rear Sprocket
    RK 420 Gold Chain

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links