Oil leak after big bore kit.
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Oil leak after big bore kit. within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Good day fellow gromers, Just installed a 57mm bore, 24/28 head, 28mm TB, high cam, crankshaft and an oil cooler. So I was running in ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Oil leak after big bore kit.

This user has no status.

Member #

Good day fellow gromers,

Just installed a 57mm bore, 24/28 head, 28mm TB, high cam, crankshaft and an oil cooler.

So I was running in this few days with a short distance run around my house. Nothing weird happened.

Last night I plan of going further just to run in my bike. Was doing 6-7k RPM maintaining my speed at 70kmh. At some point I went higher to nearing 8k rpm for a while and hit 90kmh on forth gear.

At the rest stop I notice my engine oil is leaking from my piston block. Dripping a little on my exhaust pipe header and smoke coming out from the drip and heat. I couldn't pin point it is from the gasket of connecting my piston block to my crank shaft or my head gasket.

That point I was 50km from home. Considering it was a minor leak I ride home with 5-6k RPM with 50-60km/h.

Reaching home I don't notice any dripping on my header exhaust but there's some oil hanging below my piston block, it wasn't that much compare to what I see at the rest stop.

I did filled in 1.3L of engine oil as I had install an oil cooler from the beginning. I have a crankcase breather hose on as well.

May I know how can I fix this? Do I need to reduce compression for the combustion chamber? Or just search for a better gasket?

Hope you guys can share me some of your experience.

Thanks.

is fiddling with RZ350's now!

Member #
    Odometer
    First, clean off the excess oil from the suspect areas. Needs to be dry and oil free.

Did you torque the head in steps? (9, 12, 18 for instance)

Retorque your head. Do not loosen it, just make sure that the torque value is correct. 18 FT# for the 4 on the head & the cam chain side, 6 after having tightened the 4 head bolts.

Check your tappet clearances after retorqing the head. Make sure the tappet covers are tight & the orings are in good shape.

GO out & ride a short distance and see if you can find any oil seepage. If you do find seepage, it is time for new gaskets.

Good luck!
    David likes this.
    2018 Grom
    Koso 170 4V/34mm TB/Koso injector/ DIY intake/ aRacer Mini5 + AF1 + DG1
    Koso pump & chain tensioner/ Stock clutch ring / 60% stiffer springs
    Takegawa Crank Support Bearing / Takegawa Catch Can / Kitaco Clutch cover
    Clear cam sprocket cover/ Egay oil Cooler
    Ohlins F&R / Hindle exhaust w DB killer / Galfer brake line w EBC HH Pads
    Pro Taper grips, G2 throttle tube / Gromfatherz axle spacers
    Kepspeed alum. swingarm / Bar end mirror, RAM mount, USB Port
    Seat Concepts / Opmid V2

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Just re-check everything that is torque down ok and also one major change I would make if you are using a stock airbox and your breather hose from the crank is attached to it, I would remove that hose and attach that hose to a oil catch can.

You do not want any oil mist going back into your engine via the intake.

Check that your air filter is not damp with engine oil, if it is than you will need a oil catch can. A good oil catch can will also help with the crank case pressure in your engine and reduce engine internal heat.

Sometimes oil comes from oil that dripped off the spout hole when you installed the new oil into your motor.

Good luck and ride safe

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by WV_Grom View Post
    First, clean off the excess oil from the suspect areas. Needs to be dry and oil free.

Did you torque the head in steps? (9, 12, 18 for instance)

Retorque your head. Do not loosen it, just make sure that the torque value is correct. 18 FT# for the 4 on the head & the cam chain side, 6 after having tightened the 4 head bolts.

Check your tappet clearances after retorqing the head. Make sure the tappet covers are tight & the orings are in good shape.

GO out & ride a short distance and see if you can find any oil seepage. If you do find seepage, it is time for new gaskets.

Good luck!
    Sure thanks for sharing. But is there any chance of compression being to high therefore temperature is way too high to handle with higher pressure?

I dont have a temperature gauge tho ;/.

If I'm not mistaken, I'm currently using a copper head gasket. Will aluminum gasket works better?

Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    Just re-check everything that is torque down ok and also one major change I would make if you are using a stock airbox and your breather hose from the crank is attached to it, I would remove that hose and attach that hose to a oil catch can.

You do not want any oil mist going back into your engine via the intake.

Check that your air filter is not damp with engine oil, if it is than you will need a oil catch can. A good oil catch can will also help with the crank case pressure in your engine and reduce engine internal heat.

Sometimes oil comes from oil that dripped off the spout hole when you installed the new oil into your motor.

Good luck and ride safe
    I had my airbox removed due to my new throttle body does not fit the stock air hose. Therefore I change the air hose with an airfilter which look like a mushroom.

I've check the stock breather hose, there's no leakage there. Only oil seen under the piston block.
    Last edited by Chern88; 07-11-2019 at 09:48 AM.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Only oil seen under the piston block.

check and make sure your oil temp sensor is torque down to spec, the one on the left lower side of your cylinder.

your copper head gasket is ok, the gasket for the cylinder to crank almost never leaks if installed properly.

By the way where is the breather hose attached to besides the crank case, where is the other end going to?

Also check your oil drain plug to make sure it is to torque spec and also that you did put the crush washer back on that plug/bolt
    Last edited by CiscoSanJose; 07-11-2019 at 10:01 AM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    Only oil seen under the piston block.

check and make sure your oil temp sensor is torque down to spec, the one on the left lower side of your cylinder.

your copper head gasket is ok, the gasket for the cylinder to crank almost never leaks if installed properly.

By the way where is the breather hose attached to besides the crank case, where is the other end going to?

Also check your oil drain plug to make sure it is to torque spec and also that you did put the crush washer back on that plug/bolt
    Noted sir..

As for the stock breather hose which attached to the airbox previously, I just left it hanging as I never see anything came out from it. So it is just hanging there without the airbox.

PS, I am using my stock oil pump. Things like super oil pump is hard to get in my country. I'm living close to Thailand and I found none of those. I got my stuff there they told me I don't need it.

Another question, does oil cooler gets hot when it is functioning? Mine doesn't.

is is a centrifugal oil filter
    fetishist

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by WV_Grom View Post
    Check your tappet clearances after retorqing the head.
    Why would you do that? I suspect you dealt with too much old american iron lol

is Living the Dream

Member #
    As for the stock breather hose which attached to the airbox previously, I just left it hanging as I never see anything came out from it. So it is just hanging there without the airbox.

put a tiny filter unit on the end of the hanging hose just to keep bugs and sand and such from being sucked into the engine crank case

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    There is much good general information and advice being dispensed.....but......the OP has a oil leak.

The source/location of that oil leakage must first be determined in order for a repair to then be made. I would clean the outside of the engine, add more oil, and start running the motor until the leak re-appears.

is fiddling with RZ350's now!

Member #
    Odometer
    Originally Posted by WV_Grom
    Check your tappet clearances after retorqing the head.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Why would you do that? I suspect you dealt with too much old american iron lol
    Never had a Harley in my life. By choice, of course.

IF the head was torqued to a lesser value than needed, when the correct value is applied, this will change the valve clearance.
    2018 Grom
    Koso 170 4V/34mm TB/Koso injector/ DIY intake/ aRacer Mini5 + AF1 + DG1
    Koso pump & chain tensioner/ Stock clutch ring / 60% stiffer springs
    Takegawa Crank Support Bearing / Takegawa Catch Can / Kitaco Clutch cover
    Clear cam sprocket cover/ Egay oil Cooler
    Ohlins F&R / Hindle exhaust w DB killer / Galfer brake line w EBC HH Pads
    Pro Taper grips, G2 throttle tube / Gromfatherz axle spacers
    Kepspeed alum. swingarm / Bar end mirror, RAM mount, USB Port
    Seat Concepts / Opmid V2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links