YSS stage 2 rear shock long term review
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on YSS stage 2 rear shock long term review within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; I posted this review in the Honda Grom Riders FB group, but I figured that I'd repost it here. This forum has been a great ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Boyjeenyus

Thread: YSS stage 2 rear shock long term review

This user has no status.

Member #

I posted this review in the Honda Grom Riders FB group, but I figured that I'd repost it here. This forum has been a great resource for me.

I got this shock new in the box for my OG grom in March of 2017 on ebay for around $160. I was looking for an upgrade to my OEM shock (which I found to be majorly lacking in performance). I'm only 150 lbs, but ride lots of gravel, dirt, pavement and rough roads. I also occasionally ride with a passenger. I put approximately 7,000 miles on it. Installation was easy and the ride was WAY better. Much better dampening and bump absorbing. I enjoyed lots of dirt riding, a trip on the Tail of the Dragon, and plenty of small jumps with this shock. Overall it handled just about everything I threw at it until I rode some gnarly dirt roads with my GF on the back.
    It blew out the oil seal riding 2 up on legit dirt roads/trails in Colorado. It's now pretty much just a spring, which is to be expected with a blown shock. After doing LOTS of research--including several emails with YSS direct in Asia--there are no rebuild kits made for this shock. My overall opinion is that this shock was well worth the $160 I payed for it. I'd expect that if I hadn't overloaded it on weight based on the spring adjustment on legit dirt/rocky trail riding that it would still be going fine. If you're looking for a shock upgrade and don't plan to do too much in terms of intense jumps or stunting that'll majorly bottom it out--this is a great upgrade for the $$$. Even with my regular hard riding it lasted me 7,000 miles and 2+ years.
    Lesson learned is that IF you want to really thrash your shock and you want to be able to rebuild it afterwards (like you're planning on keeping your grom for several years), it may be worth spending the $500 on an Ohlins or RB. BUT I could get 3 of these YSS ones for the cost of one Ohlins rear shock. I hope that my experiences can help others who are looking to upgrade their rear shock. I'm still undecided as to whether I'll bite the bullet for the Ohlins or go with another YSS for the buck.
    CDN Grom, skipr, Vinnie13 and 1 others like this.
    2014 Grom Red/Yellow
    1973 Honda CL350 Scrambler
    2010 Genuine Rattler 110
    4bt-powered home-built Freightliner MT35 RV.

"I like to tinker"

is between rain storms :-)

Member #
    Odometer
    Thanks for the review, real world insights are the most helpful.
    2018 Matte Gray Metallic
    Koso TT Mirrors - Carbon
    Vagabond Motorsports Fender Eliminator
    JT 35t Rear Sprocket
    RK 420 Gold Chain

is Living the Dream

Member #
    You have a picture or model number for this YSS shocks

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    looks like this:
    YSS stage 2 rear shock long term review-41i-qm09ydl._sx425_.jpg
    2014 Grom Red/Yellow
    1973 Honda CL350 Scrambler
    2010 Genuine Rattler 110
    4bt-powered home-built Freightliner MT35 RV.

"I like to tinker"

Sponsored Links