A few questions from a grom newb
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on A few questions from a grom newb within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Hi all new here. I will be getting my grom in about 1 month. I have a few questions that you guys can likely answer, ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By bennylava
  • 2 Post By Paultergeist
  • 1 Post By 50-50
  • 1 Post By WV_Grom
  • 1 Post By bennylava

Thread: A few questions from a grom newb

This user has no status.

Member #

Hi all new here. I will be getting my grom in about 1 month. I have a few questions that you guys can likely answer, so I'll just number them.

1. What are the first things I should do to the grom, in terms of modifications? What would you say is a must, just cause its such a big improvement?

2. What is the low hanging fruit in terms of performance? I hear people talk about the intake and exhaust, but then don't you really need to get it tuned?

3. What would be needed to double the horsepower and torque? I forgot what the numbers were, what was it.. 10hp stock? 10 torque? What would it take to get it to 20hp/20tq? I guess I'm just curious on that one, I may never see the need to modify it.

4. What is considered high mileage on a grom? I'm looking at used ones but I'm not sure how much I should pay, given the miles. I see some with 3,500 miles on the odometer in my area. Would this be a bit too high for a used grom? After all you never know how they treated it during that time.

5. If I do eventually add the big bore kit, would it shorten the lifespan of the engine/transmission any? I want reliability so I'd probably just do the 180cc upgrade. Don't want blown gaskets or any other issues.

6. Can you recommend me some good all terrain tires? First I'll use up the tires that come on the grom I get. But after those are worn out, what's a good tire for some mild off roading? Just mowed fields and dirt roads and stuff like that. Nothing crazy.
    50-50 likes this.

is between rain storms :-)

Member #
    Odometer
    Welcome aboard.

I'll take Q1 and leave the heavy mods to others that have done them.

1. I would look at cosmetic items while you ride and enjoy a new Grom. Things like the brake/clutch levers, mirrors, seat, plastics or decals etc. Things that would make your ride unique or suit your taste. Once you are comfortable riding make a mental note of how the bike performs for your intended uses, are you just cruising, commuting or are you considering stunting or racing.

Mechanically and just my opinion but I would suggest considering a mild gear change first before delving into the mod frenzy wormhole. You might find the stock form just to your liking after a drive ratio change.

https://www.hondagrom.net/forums/13-...need-know.html

Have fun, enjoy the new ride
    2018 Matte Gray Metallic
    Koso TT Mirrors - Carbon
    Vagabond Motorsports Fender Eliminator
    JT 35t Rear Sprocket
    RK 420 Gold Chain

This user has no status.

Member #
    I'll just be riding for fun, and to explore random places. I'm something of an urban explorer, so I'd like the bike to be quiet so I don't disturb and rouse any bums that may potentially be around. But I just like to see old places and random spots that most people don't get to see, and maybe take some pictures while I'm there. The control over the bike that the grom offers is also sounds very good to me and like it would make for a real fun time.

Thought of another question though: Are flat tires any kind of an issue? If I'm cruising around in an abandoned industrial park, I really don't need a flat tire. Maybe a bit of the ol green slime might help with this? Or maybe flats just aren't all that common.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    1500 km
    Suspensions. Get new suspensions..

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1A utilizzando Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    My advice: Learn to change your own oil, and then put at least 1,000 miles on it before you start spending money on mods.

Much money has been thrown at mods in the hopes of gaining performance, only to result in a nominal weight decrease due to lightening the rider's wallet. Do some reading on this forum before you spend, and thus enhance your knowledge and increase your odds of success.
    50-50 and T Monkey like this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    No mods are required. Get the Grom and ride it. You'll have a ton of fun as-is. Then start deciding what YOU would like to change.

is fiddling with RZ350's now!

Member #
    Odometer
    AS other have said, get to know your Grom. Put some miles on it.

The only mod I would suggest in the first 1k miles is a 14T sprocket.
    50-50 likes this.
    2018 Grom
    Koso 170 4V/34mm TB/Koso injector/ DIY intake/ aRacer Mini5 + AF1 + DG1
    Koso pump & chain tensioner/ Stock clutch ring / 60% stiffer springs
    Takegawa Crank Support Bearing / Takegawa Catch Can / Kitaco Clutch cover
    Clear cam sprocket cover/ Egay oil Cooler
    Ohlins F&R / Hindle exhaust w DB killer / Galfer brake line w EBC HH Pads
    Pro Taper grips, G2 throttle tube / Gromfatherz axle spacers
    Kepspeed alum. swingarm / Bar end mirror, RAM mount, USB Port
    Seat Concepts / Opmid V2

This user has no status.

Member #
    The very first thing I did was put this bad boy on. Sounds much better and people (and animals) can hear you coming.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-co...gateway&sr=8-1
    2019 Honda Grom Gayety Red
    Anodizing Racing “Amazon Special” Exhaust
    Michelin Power Pure Tires
    Neverlandback Stealth Style Mirrors
    Vagabond Motorsports Fender Eliminator and Cargo Rack
    Givi B29 Monoblock Trunk

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Ride it like you stole it period, and wipe the smile off your face when doing it.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    My advice: Learn to change your own oil, and then put at least 1,000 miles on it before you start spending money on mods.
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    No mods are required. Get the Grom and ride it. You'll have a ton of fun as-is. Then start deciding what YOU would like to change.
    I'll do both of these. 1k miles seems like a great period to find out what I like and don't like.
    50-50 likes this.

Sponsored Links