Repeated high rpm riding
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Repeated high rpm riding

This is a discussion on Repeated high rpm riding within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; How is the grom handling being topped out for miles on end? I’ve been riding 30 miles, mostly topped out on an every other day ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Repeated high rpm riding

This user has no status.

Member #

Repeated high rpm riding

How is the grom handling being topped out for miles on end? I’ve been riding 30 miles, mostly topped out on an every other day basis. Not what I intended to use the bike for lol

This user has no status.

Member #
    I race mine only and am at redline a lot. Oil is now leaking into the cylinder and causing me to lose power and burn oil. I have no idea if this is related to high rpm or what but I thought I'd share my experience. 1800 miles on the bike and it could just be I got a lemon who knows.

This user has no status.

Member #
    If you're still running the stock spark plug, I would recommend going down a step or two colder. I'm running an NGK CPR7EA-9 spark plug, which is a step colder and it dropped my temps from always being borderline catastrophic to 20 degrees or so lower.
    mikochu

2018 Honda Grom (Matte Gray)
    Engine: DHM 186 | 2x ECU: DHM 186 & Stock+PV3 Dank Tuned | Koso DB-03R w/ RaceDash | UEGO | MTake | DHM Header+Cheap Slip-on | Kitaco 60% Springs+Stock Plate | Superlite 16/32
    Suspension:
    RacingBros Front (7.5N/mm) / Rear (100N/mm)
    Chassis: Chimera Race Bolt | Speed Spacers | Womet-Tech Sliders | NDC Adjusters | TST Fender Eliminator | ProTaper SE Honda Mini | Neverlandback Mirrors | Corbin Saddle | Driven TT Rearsets

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mikochu View Post
    If you're still running the stock spark plug, I would recommend going down a step or two colder. I'm running an NGK CPR7EA-9 spark plug, which is a step colder and it dropped my temps from always being borderline catastrophic to 20 degrees or so lower.
    I think you've fallen prey to the dreaded 'confirmation bias', happens to the best of us. A 'hotter' or 'colder' spark plug doesn't affect the engine temp, the following description could be helpful here, from the NGK site:

*When a spark plug is referred to as a “cold plug”, it is one that transfers heat rapidly from the firing tip into the engine head, keeping the firing tip cooler. *A “hot plug” has a much slower rate of heat transfer, which keeps the firing tip hotter.
    tooter likes this.

is is a centrifugal oil filter
    fetishist

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Teedubyaw View Post
    How is the grom handling being topped out for miles on end? I’ve been riding 30 miles, mostly topped out on an every other day basis. Not what I intended to use the bike for lol
    If stock or lightly modded and well maintained it will take the abuse no problem.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have a 2014 grom that has over 15000 miles, i ride it almost daily and usually run about 55 to 60 most of the time. I do all the regular fluid changes and chain checks and air pressure and its been all good. I wont bounce it off the rev limiter or go above stock red line. it is a honda and they can take a beating but why beat it?
    tooter likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemcc0372 View Post
    I have a 2014 grom that has over 15000 miles, i ride it almost daily and usually run about 55 to 60 most of the time. I do all the regular fluid changes and chain checks and air pressure and its been all good. I wont bounce it off the rev limiter or go above stock red line. it is a honda and they can take a beating but why beat it?
    I'm also in the "why beat it up club".
    I ride every day for business and personal use... most of the time in the 4K to 6K range... and never over 8 because there is simply no need for it.
    2018 GROM:
    TST Rear Fender Eliminator
    TST Taillight +Signal Lights
    TST Front Signal Lights
    Dinger Built Extra Long Intake
    IXIL Dual Exhaust
    Yuminashi ECU
    Kitaco Case Cover w/Oil Filter
    Takagawa High Volume Oil Pump
    Honda Monkey Rear Sets
    Honda Monkey Front Fender
    Honda Monkey Fork Guards
    Honda Black Plastics
    G Craft Rear Rack
    Cargo Crate

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    2017 here......about 5000 miles or so on a mostly-stock engine. My bike is ridden pretty hard, and the engine spends most of the time at 6500-9000 RPM. I am careful about the oil, and have changed the oil frequently in the past (full synthetic). No issues thus far.
    asume likes this.

is between rain storms :-)

Member #
    Odometer
    5,500 to 8,000, anything less is just an idle.

Sometimes I forget it's a 4speed and try for one more ;-)
    Paultergeist and absidia like this.
    2018 Matte Gray Metallic
    Koso TT Mirrors - Carbon
    Vagabond Motorsports Fender Eliminator
    JT 35t Rear Sprocket
    RK 420 Gold Chain

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemcc0372 View Post
    What RPM is the stock rev limiter? My bike has always seemed to rev into the red on my gauge.

Hitting the rev limiter one in a while won't hurt anything though. Living there is a different story. High revs wear engines quickly. You can't beat physics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links