Need help, removed wrong bolt changing oil! Help!
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Need help, removed wrong bolt changing oil! Help! within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; I was doing the first oil change and pulled a ply I thought wa the oil plug, left hand lower case. It had a funny ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Need help, removed wrong bolt changing oil! Help!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer

I was doing the first oil change and pulled a ply I thought wa the oil plug, left hand lower case. It had a funny looking spring behind it! I wiped it off, reinstalled it with the skinny end of the spring up and went and found the correct oil ply bolt and did the oil change.

However, now I am afraid to start the engine without knowing what damage I might have done by removing the wrong bolt with the spring, what is that bolt and spring?

Yes, I know, stupid, and I am a professional mechanic to boot. But I wear tri-focals and I mistook the bolt stupidly, it was totally obvious it was wrong, real dumb.

New Monkey 125, 100 mile oil change. Sorry to barge in unannounced, hope y'all will not be angry with me.

Thank you,
    J

is doing grom things

Member #
    You're good dude. Just popped out the timing chain tensioner spring bolt. Provided everything went back in, and in the same order, you're fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Thank you. The only thing that came out was a long spring with a large end and a small end. I put the small end in first which is the way I think it jumped out and the bolt has a groove machined in it which appears to be made to accept the large end of the spring.

I was afraid it might be a oil pressure poppit and there might be a ball or something that ran away and hid. The only thing, like I sad, a bolt/plug and a spring, arrrgghhhh! What a dum move for somebody who has owned motorcycles for nearly five decades..

That makes sense, I am not so worried now.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    quelques photos pour aider...

Need help, removed wrong bolt changing oil! Help!-capture-d-ecran-2019-06-10-12.13.47.png

Need help, removed wrong bolt changing oil! Help!-capture-d-ecran-2019-06-10-12.15.04.png

Need help, removed wrong bolt changing oil! Help!-capture-d-ecran-2019-06-10-12.15.24.png

Need help, removed wrong bolt changing oil! Help!-capture-d-ecran-2019-06-10-12.25.17.png
    Last edited by KBK0; 06-10-2019 at 04:27 AM.
    3crows likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    This is why the first purchase after any new vehicle should be a factory service manual. They're less than $40 shipped.

2014-2019 GROM 125/A Service Manual - Helm Incorporated

is a squirrel

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    This is why the first purchase after any new vehicle should be a factory service manual. They're less than $40 shipped.

2014-2019 GROM 125/A Service Manual - Helm Incorporated
    There's a post with a pdf copy of the service manual somewhere on the forums.

EDIT: Lol it's stickied in the grom talk. https://www.hondagrom.net/forums/7-g...df-inside.html

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSquirrel View Post
    There's a post with a pdf copy of the service manual somewhere on the forums.

EDIT: Lol it's stickied in the grom talk. https://www.hondagrom.net/forums/7-g...df-inside.html
    Yep and it's the first result with a Google search, but I'd rather have the paper copy in my garage at all times.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Thanks guys for all the help. Yes, I have a manual ordered. It was not because I did not know which plug was the oil but I am blaming it on my new trifocals. I looked under and saw the plug, then put the wrench on by feel judging the distance but the magnification messed up my "feel" and that is my story and I am sticking to it dang it. So as I turned the plug out, talking to my wife, the warm gush of oil never came, only a spring that shot off into the empty oil pan and then bounced around the floor. Most surprising I shall say and not what I expected at all. All seems well and the Monkey is back to doing monkey business.

I also discovered this parts site with good diagrams:

https://shop.bettencourts.com/fiche_...9&fveh=1688191

J
    50-50 likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Aren't they different sizes? I think Honda did that so if you know to use a 17mm wrench it won't remove the tensioner bolt.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    Aren't they different sizes? I think Honda did that so if you know to use a 17mm wrench it won't remove the tensioner bolt.
    Yeppers, they are indeed, target fixation, I was determined to screw it up.
    50-50 likes this.
    Swim, Bike, Run, Ride

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links