Main ground, unstable voltage
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Main ground, unstable voltage within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; hi there! Had trouble with Grom 2015, headlights positive wires for main beam and secondary beam are not stable, volt meter give random readings, at ...

Thread: Main ground, unstable voltage

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    20k ml

hi there!
    Had trouble with Grom 2015, headlights positive wires for main beam and secondary beam are not stable, volt meter give random readings, at idle 6 or 8volts, when give revs with in seconds readings are: 14, -6, -4 (random crap).
    BTW same is rear is 6volts, indicators and dashboard.
    Question:
    *Where is main ground located? please help to find em so I will drop additional and better ground cable to it. Honda mechanic said: there is two main grounds, so would locate them.
    *not asking about rectifier as high cost, have to chase cheap fix first .)

Before started this topic I've tried to search on forum
    google wiring diagram.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by dahel; 06-04-2019 at 08:26 AM.

Banned
    This user has no status.

Member #
    The yellow wire that feeds the lighting circuit is half wave dc fed straight from the stator, it has no connection to the battery (it is negative with respect to battery negative, complete isolation). It is low at idle due to low stator voltage. It should come up to around -12vdc with the engine revved.

Put your meter on DC, put the red lead on ground and the black lead on the power wire to measure.

I suspect you are making a mistake in your methods.

Does any part of your lighting system not work?
    Last edited by Wibbly; 06-04-2019 at 10:22 AM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    20k ml
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibbly View Post
    The yellow wire that feeds the lighting circuit is half wave dc fed straight from the stator, it has no connection to the battery (it is negative with respect to battery negative, complete isolation). It is low at idle due to low stator voltage. It should come up to around -12vdc with the engine revved.

Put your meter on DC, put the red lead on ground and the black lead on the power wire to measure.

I suspect you are making a mistake in your methods.

Does any part of your lighting system not work?
    Hi there! Sry been long time since my post, much appreciate Your attention here.
    - no matter negative or positive readings I do, have smart-volt-meter, trouble is reading are inadequate, -> after revved readings are 14, -6, -4 within seconds.
    -I've placed additionally x3 ground wires, thickness as 3mm, copper, coated with soldier for every single connections to bolts and battery.
    x1 engine -> negative battery
    x1 frame -> negative battery
    x1 frame double-tap ->
    negative battery (x3 green ground next to battery).
    results at garage, xenon lights shadow main beam opens a bit better at idle, but next day get back to "normal", (normal very difficult to have main beam, long).

I do chase now ground at "second ground" at GROM, second so far I heard is located at dynamo (left side of engine located), some engineering advised me to chase up this place as had bad ground there, but I'm no clues what he talks about as I do and learn on the fly.
    Last edited by dahel; 08-20-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Sponsored Links