My Oil Screen Is Nasty
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

My Oil Screen Is Nasty

This is a discussion on My Oil Screen Is Nasty within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; I did my first oil change today at 400 miles. The screen has typical metal shavings - most tiny, but a large shaving or two ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: My Oil Screen Is Nasty

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer

My Oil Screen Is Nasty

I did my first oil change today at 400 miles. The screen has typical metal shavings - most tiny, but a large shaving or two which seems typical to me.

But I also had blue and grey stuff on the screen that seems to be silicone or sealant. The spinner had grey or black magnetic sludge as well. It’s on the magnet and then smeared onto the paper towel. What do you guys think it is? And did your spinner look similar? Thank you for your input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Oil Screen Is Nasty-7eec5c11-feac-4dbd-932c-1433871421af_1559090339810.jpeg   My Oil Screen Is Nasty-6b6b5859-a478-41de-a6e6-3d8668bea479_1559090404680.jpeg   My Oil Screen Is Nasty-894e6605-79c7-43d9-86a9-24a761fd0d3b_1559090416420.jpeg  

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Normal grom break in to me

Ride it like you stole it
    Paultergeist and 50-50 like this.

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #
    yup. wont be bad next time.
    50-50 likes this.
    A bunch of old stuff that runs. 2stroke grom build...in process.. eventually...

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Yeah just did my first spinner and screen clean at 600. I did an oil change only at 285 MI. Was some chunks and the sludge too. Seems normal. I just ordered a gold plug magnetic drain plug so I dont have to worry about cleaning the spinner as often. Here's the screen pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Oil Screen Is Nasty-20190523_174821_1559103219029.jpg  
    50-50 and tooter like this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Thanks guys. I'm used to metal shavings and some chunks, but not all this sludge so thanks for the reassurance. The motor has been performing and sounding fine so I figured nothing major is going wrong.

The bike did cough yesterday which was odd. It was surely warmed up, but it was raining. My bike is stock so I'm not sure what it was, but it was odd. Small bore FI I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by dollastudios View Post
    Yeah just did my first spinner and screen clean at 600. I did an oil change only at 285 MI. Was some chunks and the sludge too. Seems normal. I just ordered a gold plug magnetic drain plug so I dont have to worry about cleaning the spinner as often. Here's the screen pic
    I did install a Gold Plug this time around.
    tooter likes this.

Supporting Member
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    I did my first oil change today at 400 miles. The screen has typical metal shavings - most tiny, but a large shaving or two which seems typical to me.

But I also had blue and grey stuff on the screen that seems to be silicone or sealant. The spinner had grey or black magnetic sludge as well. It’s on the magnet and then smeared onto the paper towel. What do you guys think it is? And did your spinner look similar? Thank you for your input.
    That looks yuck, but there's still plenty of clear area for oil to flow through (the screen is sized to allow for adequate oil flow even when it's partially clogged) - it's already trapped just about everything its going to trap. I plan on changing my oil at 600 miles per the manual, but I don't plan on cleaning the screen or filter until 8,000 miles - also per the manual.
    Last edited by zroger73; 07-10-2019 at 11:17 AM.

This user has no status.

Member #

is this the right reference for the Monkey?
    if yes,I will see if they sell in France and if the shipping costs are not too high.

Last edited by KBK0; 07-09-2019 at 12:28 AM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Good on ya.
    A Gold Plug has to be the #1 bang for the buck mod for engine longevity.

2018 GROM: Modified for reliability longevity gas mileage... and fun.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post
    That looks yuck, but there's still plenty of clear area for oil to flow through (the screen is sized to allow for adequate oil flow even when it's partially clogged) - it's already trapped just about everything its going to trap. I plan on changing my oil at 600 miles per the manual, but I don't plan on cleaning the screen or filter until 4,000 miles - also per the manual.
    4,000 miles is far too long IMO, but I'll probably get lazy and not clean the screen or spinner for at least that long. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by KBK0 View Post
    is this the right reference for the Monkey?
    if yes,I will see if they sell in France and if the shipping costs are not too high.
    Yes, you want the MP-01.

Quote Originally Posted by tooter View Post
    Good on ya.
    A Gold Plug has to be the #1 bang for the buck mod for engine longevity.
    I don't think it's all that important. Changing your oil and cleaning the screen and spinner at the correct intervals are much more important.
    zroger73 and KBK0 like this.

Supporting Member
    This user has no status.

Member #
    4,000 miles is far too long IMO, but I'll probably get lazy and not clean the screen or spinner for at least that long. LOL

I don't think it's all that important. Changing your oil and cleaning the screen and spinner at the correct intervals are much more important.
    Agreed about the interval. 4,000 miles feels like far too long even with today's manufacturing precision, metallurgy, and oil chemistry considering the amount of time this little engine spends running at Dremel-like speeds and full throttle.

I'm generally one to follow owner's manuals precisely - a practice that has never failed me. On the other hand, I've never owned a vehicle before that required 100% throttle opening just to keep up with traffic. I probably won't wait until 4,000 miles to change my oil the second time, but if I do I'll probably have an oil analysis performed to satisfy my curiosity.

Agreed about the use of a magnetic drain plug as well. It certainly can't hurt (unless the magnet falls off). Magnets are great for iron particles which are magnetic, but do nothing for aluminum, brass, stainless steel, clutch material, gasoline, moisture, and carbon which are the primary contaminants in engine oil.
    50-50 and CDN Grom like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links