What is the recommended fuel octane rating for the Grom?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on What is the recommended fuel octane rating for the Grom? within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; After watching YouTube videos I was under the impression that itís 93 or 91 octane but a Honda salesman told me yesterday that itís 87. ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: What is the recommended fuel octane rating for the Grom?

This user has no status.

Member #

After watching YouTube videos I was under the impression that itís 93 or 91 octane but a Honda salesman told me yesterday that itís 87. I live in Canada in case thatís relevant.

This user has no status.

Member #
    87 unless you've got upgrades and a tune to take advantage of higher octane.
    mikochu

2018 Honda Grom (Matte Gray)
    Engine: DHM 186 | 2x ECU: DHM 186 & Stock+PV3 Dank Tuned | Koso DB-03R w/ RaceDash | UEGO | MTake | DHM Header+Cheap Slip-on | Kitaco 60% Springs+Stock Plate | Superlite 16/32
    Suspension:
    RacingBros Front (7.5N/mm) / Rear (100N/mm)
    Chassis: Chimera Race Bolt | Speed Spacers | Womet-Tech Sliders | NDC Adjusters | TST Fender Eliminator | ProTaper SE Honda Mini | Neverlandback Mirrors | Corbin Saddle | Driven TT Rearsets

is a squirrel
    Member #
    If you have a stock engine, you can run 87. People who have BBKs run the higher up octanes.

EDIT: Damn mikochu beat me.
    mikochu likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    is Wishing I was riding....
    Member #
    You’ll make more power on 87 with stock compression, in simple terms because it explodes easier.
    Top Shelf parts & accessories WWW.MNNTHBX.COM

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine1.0 View Post
    After watching YouTube videos I was under the impression that it’s 93 or 91 octane but a Honda salesman told me yesterday that it’s 87. I live in Canada in case that’s relevant.
    I have found over the years you often get the incorrect or partial information on these sites...doing your homework is always the most important thing when looking for answers. In this case I would consult my Honda owners manual and look under Fuel. It will direct you to page 33! Looks as follows.

What is the recommended fuel octane rating for the Grom?-wp_20190517_09_19_38_pro.jpg
    m in sc likes this.

is 8.5.Zer0's Fastest!Grom
    Member #
    Florida, Respect the Locals and our Beach!
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by MNNTHBX View Post
    Youíll make more power on 87 with stock compression, in simple terms because it explodes easier.
    Yup,,, stock compression the more volatile the more bang...

is Living the Dream

Member #
    We used 87 octane in our stock Hayabusa since 1999 and I used 87 octane in my stock grom when it was stock but since I have a BBK 181-4v engine I use Union 76 91 octane which seems to run great. It runs even better than using Chervron 91 octane and I'm not sure why. I will try 89 octane on my next fill up to see if I get any pinging since gas is now over $4 a gal in Calif.

This user has no status.
    Member #
    Odometer
    Of course you can always put 87 octane to your motorcycle and would work but it will get your engine, muffler and oil very dirty and does not have ultimate power, it becomes very slow.

I did that with my Grom, I tried the 87 octane and boy, the bike started acting up to the point that sometimes even turned off by itself while driving, horrible experience. I switched to super unleaded 91 octane from 76 and the bike became very responsive, it hits 63 mph now.

Same with cars, people always say that 87 octane is more than enough but they end up with having to replace their catalytic converter, injectors, oxygen sensor, oil is always super dirty, valves become noisy and out of specs, the car becomes a total mess.

Of course sale men tell you to get 87 because they want you to come to buy another car, the sooner the better for them. Even on my mower I put 91 octane if I put 87 it takes a century to start it. Also, different brands of gasoline have an impact on your car or bike's performance, the 91 gasoline from ARCO is not the same as the 91 from 76 or Mobil.

Of course there is always people like my brother, he does not see any difference from 87 or 91 octane, he always puts 87 on his cars, I wonder why he has replaced almost the entire engine, some people don't notice a difference from night or day.

There is a good reason why high performance cars use super unleaded gasoline "only".
    Bonafyd likes this.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:
    Yoshimura RS-2, Vagabond Cargo Rack & Fender Eliminator, GIVI Top Box.

is breaking shit and taking names
    Member #
    high compression and timing require higher octane if it doesn't have an ecm to compensate for it. 87 is fine in stock motor, or anything under 10.5:1 compression ratio. you get over that, go up on octane to reduce pre-detonation.

Daily driver ford edge with 305hp v6: i run 87 no ill effects but it has engine management to deal with it (per manual). 1966 galaxie with high compression big block and no engine management to speak of: premium or it pings and detonates like crazy.
    Phoenix and MNNTHBX like this.
    A bunch of old stuff that runs. 2stroke grom build...in process.. eventually...

This user has no status.

Member #
    I've been using 91 because it's only $3 to fill up but I do recall my owners manual saying 87 is fine. I might start using that and see if there's any noticeable difference. I've used 87 on my Ninja 300 and my car and they ran perfectly fine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links