Are there any frame sliders that make contact with the ground when tipped over?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Are there any frame sliders that make contact with the ground when tipped over? within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; I was thinking about getting some frame sliders for drop protection but I've noticed that most of them don't even make contact with the ground ...

Thread: Are there any frame sliders that make contact with the ground when tipped over?

This user has no status.

Member #

I was thinking about getting some frame sliders for drop protection but I've noticed that most of them don't even make contact with the ground in the event of a drop due to the way the Grom is built. Would I be better off just sticking to bar end sliders and perhaps axle sliders?

is loving Grom life!

Member #
    Odometer
    I checked the R&G frame sliders on my SF Grom - to the right the exhaust is the first thing to hit by far. To the left, it should be much better but I realize now I forgot to check...

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    I don't understand why nobody has made a slider/spool combo for the rear.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    I don't understand why nobody has made a slider/spool combo for the rear.
    I've seen some stunt Groms have things that stick out towards the back of the bike (I think they're meant for standing on during wheelies) but aside from that I don't think there's much out there aside from axle sliders. T-REX Racing does make some spools for the swingarm and the spools are made of delrin, but I had to remove those to make room for my womet tech axle sliders.
    Last edited by Gromdoe; 05-20-2019 at 10:29 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by FuriousD View Post
    I checked the R&G frame sliders on my SF Grom - to the right the exhaust is the first thing to hit by far. To the left, it should be much better but I realize now I forgot to check...
    Can you make sure to update when/if you do check?

R&G sliders were the ones I'm interested in.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromdoe View Post
    I've seen some stunt Groms have things that stick out towards the back of the bike (I think they're meant for standing on during wheelies) but aside from that I don't think there's much out there aside from axle sliders. T-REX Racing does make some spools for the swingarm and the spools are made of delrin, but I had to remove those to make room for my womet tech axle sliders.
    Delrin is about as easy to machine as it gets. An aspiring person could easily make an axle slider with the Delrin part shaped into a spool.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I put 4.25" bmx pegs on the back of my 50 but I don't think they would be long enough to protect the pipe on a grom.

is loving Grom life!

Member #
    Odometer
    I guess what you need is going to depend on what exactly it is you're trying to protect. On my bike (pics below), it looks like the various sliders should do a decent job of protecting the frame, but some of the other components are probably going to get damaged in the process. The footpegs and pedals look like they will all hit before the R&G frame slider. Likewise, those fairing pieces that jut out to the right and left of the gas tank are also probably going to take an impact.

Are there any frame sliders that make contact with the ground when tipped over?-20190521_163620.jpgAre there any frame sliders that make contact with the ground when tipped over?-20190521_163852.jpg
    Are there any frame sliders that make contact with the ground when tipped over?-20190521_163609.jpgAre there any frame sliders that make contact with the ground when tipped over?-20190521_163830.jpg

To get any more protection, you'd probably have to go with crash bars or something really heavy duty. I decided for myself on a commuting/fun bike that sliders would be sufficient.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by FuriousD; 05-21-2019 at 06:47 PM.

is wishing I could keep all the
    bikes I've owned.

Member #
    The stock muffler is a perfect crash slider for the right side of the bike.

I suggest getting the SATO steering stops and running wide MX handle bars if you're going to stunt. The bar ends can serve as crash protection. The steering stopper will save your stock super weak steering stop tabs, and keep your handlebars from smashing your gas tank cover.

You're gonna want to keep a supply of foot controls and hand controls.
    Last edited by solidjohnny; 05-21-2019 at 05:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    It seems like there is always one more thing to buy, THEN I’ll really notice a difference in performance.

Sponsored Links