Grom on the FWY
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Grom on the FWY

This is a discussion on Grom on the FWY within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Have you guys ridden your Grom on the Fwy, specially when the FWY is super busy and the top speed is about 20mph ~ 30mph? ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Grom on the FWY

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer

Grom on the FWY

Have you guys ridden your Grom on the Fwy, specially when the FWY is super busy and the top speed is about 20mph ~ 30mph? If you have ridden in the FWY how did you feel about it, did you get a ticket?
    Grom 2018 Modifications:
    Yoshimura RS-2, Vagabond Cargo Rack & Fender Eliminator, GIVI Top Box.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    splitting lanes up here in Northern Calif is EZ, Hwy 101, 237, 880, across the Bay Bridge, Golden Gate bridge, etc. If you are new at riding esp freeway riding then use the back roads.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    If it's a traffic jam and you're doing 20 to 30 MPH I don't see how you could get in trouble.

I've ridden mine on a 2 lane highway where the speed is 45 and 55 MPH without any issues.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    splitting lanes up here in Northern Calif is EZ, Hwy 101, 237, 880, across the Bay Bridge, Golden Gate bridge, etc. If you are new at riding esp freeway riding then use the back roads.
    Great! My route would be going from the Beverly Hills area taking the 10 East FWY to the 60 East FWY getting off on the East LA area. AT 3:00pm the top speed on the 10E FWY is like 20 ~ 30mph and the 60 E FWY like 55 mph. I feel very comfortable splitting lanes already.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    If it's a traffic jam and you're doing 20 to 30 MPH I don't see how you could get in trouble.

I've ridden mine on a 2 lane highway where the speed is 45 and 55 MPH without any issues.
    Yes, the 10 & 60 FWYs are always very jammed about the time a leave work (3:00pm). I guess I have to give it a try see how it goes.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by john2018 View Post
    Great! My route would be going from the Beverly Hills area taking the 10 East FWY to the 60 East FWY getting off on the East LA area.
    You sound like The Californians on SNL.

AT 3:00pm the top speed on the 10E FWY is like 20 ~ 30mph and the 60 E FWY like 55 mph. I feel very comfortable splitting lanes already.
    I split lanes when vehicles are stopped, but it creeps me out to ride between moving vehicles. I've been on the freeway a few times and keep to the slow lane at 55-60 mph. I don't believe I'd get a ticket unless I was going too slow and impeding the traffic flow. With traffic congestion most of the time it's impossible to do that.
    Paultergeist, 50-50 and casio like this.
    2018 GROM:
    TOCE Dual Exhaust
    Yuminashi ECU
    TST Rear Fender Eliminator
    TST Taillight +Signal Lights
    TST Front Signal Lights
    Dinger Built Extra Long Intake
    Honda Monkey Rear Sets
    Honda Monkey Front Fender
    Honda Monkey Fork Guards
    Honda Black Plastics
    G Craft Rear Rack
    Cargo Crate

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by tooter View Post
    You sound like The Californians on SNL.

I split lanes when vehicles are stopped, but it creeps me out to ride between moving vehicles. I've been on the freeway a few times and keep to the slow lane at 55-60 mph. I don't believe I'd get a ticket unless I was going too slow and impeding the traffic flow. With traffic congestion most of the time it's impossible to do that.
    When I drive my car on the 10 & 60 FWYs I see lots of big bikes (Harley Davidson big & wide, big ninjas, big 1000cc Yamahas, etc) splitting lanes very easy, these lanes are very wide, a very small car may fit in between the two lanes. Why driving a motorcycle if you cannot split lanes? That's the whole idea of driving a motorcycle so all the traffic is left behind you. May as well drive a car if you are going to be behind a truck.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Hint when riding on the Freeway or any roads in Calif. Mount yourself a action camera such as a go pro with lots of batteries, you need a video witness just in case some ass hole decides to change lanes with out signaling or is on a cellphone being distracted. I have my action camera GoProHero 7 mounted on my helmet.

Groms have low light visibility so all my lights on my grom are LED including the head light and I have the head light on Hi-beam when doing my lane splitting. My front running yellow lights are LED and is 3x the brightness of the stock ones so they see me coming down the road.
    I also have a helmet that is shape like a CHP-Police helmet and those cars see that and open up the lanes to let you thru.

Lucky for us we live in Calif where lane splitting is legal and if someone dicks with you it is a vehicle in fraction if they are caught, that is why action camera is your video witness.

I've been to court for a couple of motorcycle related accident and a video camera tells it like it is, just make sure your date and time stamp is correct. I won a $180,000 lawsuit on one accident where the guy in a cargo van changed lane into my Hayabusa while he was on a cellphone not paying attention or signaling.

Ride safe splitting.
    Last edited by CiscoSanJose; 05-14-2019 at 07:29 PM.

is hiding the credit card from
    the Grom!!

Member #
    Odometer
    My ride to work is on bike 10 minutes and to home is 10 minutes. On 4 wheels the ride to work is 25 minutes and home is 45-55 minutes. You better believe it, I'm splitting lanes with stopped and moving traffic, but I'm smart about it and won't split as long as they are within about 10mph to the speed limit.

My Gopro is always on, with spare cards and batteries in my jacket. I won't ride unless I will have a video witness by my side. I've learned my lesson on that one.
    2017 Grom
    Koso 4V GF Ported / Drowsports 181 piston / Takegawa Oil Pump, Cam Chain Tensioner, Crank Support Kit & Catch Can
    Koso 34mm TB GF Ported / DynoJet PCV, WB2 & AFR / GF Manual Cam Chain Adjuster
    Drow Sports CF Intake & Oil Cooler / Hindle Exhaust / OPMID 2 Temp Gauge
    Kitaco Clutch Cover / SMR 6 Disc Clutch & 60% Springs / Chimera Clutch Plate
    RacingBros Adj Fork Kit and Shicane HLR Shock / Vagabond Fender Eliminator
    Seat Concepts

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    Hint when riding on the Freeway or any roads in Calif. Mount yourself a action camera such as a go pro with lots of batteries, you need a video witness just in case some ass hole decides to change lanes with out signaling or is on a cellphone being distracted. I have my action camera GoProHero 7 mounted on my helmet.
    Yes, you are right! Cameras were the first things that I bought as part of my gear. I have two, one mounted facing the front and a 2nd mounted facing the rear, so I can have 360 view. Both cameras record in 1080P for 2 hrs with stamp date, in 10 min each video for easy access. I also have a Shoei all white helmet that looks like a police officer helmet, the cars slow down when they see me coming and move away for me to pass and I thank them with a "yes" head move.
    Groms have low light visibility so all my lights on my grom are LED including the head light and I have the head light on Hi-beam when doing my lane splitting. My front running yellow lights are LED and is 3x the brightness of the stock ones so they see me coming down the road.
    My Grom has LED lights, I always drive with high beam lights on during the day.
    I also have a helmet that is shape like a CHP-Police helmet and those cars see that and open up the lanes to let you thru.
    Lucky for us we live in Calif where lane splitting is legal and if someone dicks with you it is a vehicle in fraction if they are caught, that is why action camera is your video witness.
    I've been to court for a couple of motorcycle related accident and a video camera tells it like it is, just make sure your date and time stamp is correct. I won a $180,000 lawsuit on one accident where the guy in a cargo van changed lane into my Hayabusa while he was on a cellphone not paying attention or signaling.
    Ride safe splitting.
    Thanks a million for your advice and for telling your story though. I think sharing these kind of experiences help greatly the motorcycle community.
    Also, it is very good to report those car offenders to the local police station.

I have reported several already and the LAPD has been great sending police officers to the places where has been reported from. Just this morning they caught a guy who I already know every morning about 5:30 am drives his car about 80 mph in a 35 mph zone. I guess he will have to pay for it because those police officers are watching now. Also, I drive almost every morning along the way for a while with 2 motorcycle police officers and I feel very protected since I am just behind them.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links