Grom on the FWY - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Grom on the FWY

This is a discussion on Grom on the FWY within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Originally Posted by john2018 When I drive my car on the 10 & 60 FWYs I see lots of big bikes (Harley Davidson big & ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Grom on the FWY

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by john2018 View Post
    When I drive my car on the 10 & 60 FWYs I see lots of big bikes (Harley Davidson big & wide, big ninjas, big 1000cc Yamahas, etc) splitting lanes very easy, these lanes are very wide, a very small car may fit in between the two lanes. Why driving a motorcycle if you cannot split lanes? That's the whole idea of driving a motorcycle so all the traffic is left behind you. May as well drive a car if you are going to be behind a truck.
    That's fine. Go for it.
    You don't even need to try to convince me. I was only describing what I do which is to split lanes while vehicles are stopped. Everyone has a different style of riding and I'm ok with that because I get the consequences of how I ride just like every other biker does.
    2018 GROM: Modified for reliability and gas mileage.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Djezspin View Post
    My ride to work is on bike 10 minutes and to home is 10 minutes. On 4 wheels the ride to work is 25 minutes and home is 45-55 minutes. You better believe it, I'm splitting lanes with stopped and moving traffic, but I'm smart about it and won't split as long as they are within about 10mph to the speed limit.
    My ride to work in the morning 5:30 am is 30 min (streets only). From work to home is 40 min for 17 miles
    In my car going to work takes me 30 min (FWY only). From work to home 1hr. 30 min. for 17 miles.
    My Gopro is always on, with spare cards and batteries in my jacket. I won't ride unless I will have a video witness by my side. I've learned my lesson on that one.
    If all comes to worse you always have indisputable evidence that the car hit you and the car driver can be sued and take everything he/she owns. I have friends that are great motorcycle lawyers. Just make sure the law is on your side. Nobody owns the road, we all pay taxes and licenses, we all must share the road and WATCH the road. You hit some one, you are fully liable for it.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:
    Yoshimura RS-2, Vagabond Cargo Rack & Fender Eliminator, GIVI Top Box.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by tooter View Post
    That's fine. Go for it.
    Thanks for your suggestion, I'll try it.
    You don't even need to try to convince me. I was only describing what I do which is to split lanes while vehicles are stopped. Everyone has a different style of riding and I'm ok with that because I get the consequences of how I ride just like every other biker does.
    I'm sorry tooter, I did not want to be critical about your ridding style, you are right we all have our own way of ridding and feel safe.
    I do splitting lane when cars are stopped and there is room for me to pass, when traffic is already at the legal street speed limit I just follow the cars, but I'd do split lane if the cars go down to like 15 ~ 20 mph and if there is room for me to pass and with high beam light and throttle running high for letting cars know that I'm there. My goal is always to get to the red light and be the first one to go as the green light, pedestrians and cars in other directions let me go. Always checking for pedestrians, dogs, cats, rats, car crossing in the middle of slow traffic, etc.
    tooter likes this.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Thanks for your suggestion, I'll try it.

I'm sorry tooter, I did not want to be critical about your ridding style, you are right we all have our own way of ridding and feel safe.
    I do splitting lane when cars are stopped and there is room for me to pass, when traffic is already at the legal street speed limit I just follow the cars, but I'd do split lane if the cars go down to like 15 ~ 20 mph and if there is room for me to pass and with high beam light and throttle running high for letting cars know that I'm there. My goal is always to get to the red light and be the first one to go as the green light, pedestrians and cars in other directions let me go. Always checking for pedestrians, dogs, cats, rats, car crossing in the middle of slow traffic, etc.
    Don't worry, you can't offend me.

I can share with you the reason why I don't split moving vehicles.
    I've been riding for 54 years and have seen just about everything.
    I saw a guy get creamed by a lane changer, so I just don't ever want to be that guy.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    If all comes to worse you always have indisputable evidence that the car hit you and the car driver can be sued and take everything he/she owns. I have friends that are great motorcycle lawyers. Just make sure the law is on your side. Nobody owns the road, we all pay taxes and licenses, we all must share the road and WATCH the road. You hit some one, you are fully liable for it.
    Thanks for your advice.
    My approach is to avoid exposing myself to potential lane splitting consequences rather than to figure out ways to deal with them.

It's far easier to stay out of trouble than it is to get out of trouble. Name:  hNtEB6l.gif
Views: 46
Size:  903 Bytes

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    My approach is to avoid exposing myself to potential lane splitting consequences rather than to figure out ways to deal with them.

It's far easier to stay out of trouble than it is to get out of trouble. Name:  hNtEB6l.gif
    If you don't split lanes while cars are moving, what do you do when you see an Escalade SUV or a Ford F150 tailgating you and the driver is distracted texting or talking in the phone? Or even worse you get a bike hater behind you and you can see that his/her intentions are to stamp you in the rear bumper of the car in front of you?
    Grom 2018 Modifications:

is gearing up for winter

Member #
    This^^ Just as a general statement.

Anyway, dont live in an area traffic is ever too bad to even consider lane splitting, but if i did, i probably just wouldnt live there. It really just comes down to location/need and what youre used to. In winter we drive full sized cars and trucks out on frozen lakes, for some thats a very foreign concept and something theyre super hesitant about (or just wont do), but its just normal to me. As long as you understand and are willing to accept the risks, its easy to do.
    As far as vehicles on the road and defensive driving... If im on a bike, im looking everywhere. I know how inattentive those 4 wheelers can be... Im definitely less attentive when in my car then on the bike.
    tooter likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Ridding a motorcycle is dangerous always, anything can happen to you while ridding the bike, so technically since the moment you get on the bike you are already in a possible trouble. In California lane splitting is legal and car drivers share the road not a problem, most of the time they even move of the way so the biker can pass freely in between the lanes. I guess is just matter of knowing the rules.

Just this afternoon, a car driver even retracted his left mirror so I could pass freely in between the lanes. I thanked him for that action, it's great.

Just like we have a buffet on my building that no one gets on a line to get their food, everyone gets their empty plate and goes directly to the food the he/she wants to get, but then everybody gets on a line to pay for their food. Everybody is on a rush so we all understand. Have you noticed some people take for ever to get a piece of meat? They see it for a million times then they put it back then they finally take it again and if you are waiting for them it becomes so frustrating and you only have 10 min to eat, ha, ha, ha.
    Last edited by john2018; 05-15-2019 at 10:26 PM.
    tooter likes this.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by turpinator View Post
    This^^ Just as a general statement.

Anyway, dont live in an area traffic is ever too bad to even consider lane splitting, but if i did, i probably just wouldnt live there.
    This is good advice.
    We live in a rural canyon about 10 miles outside of town, so most of my riding is winding two lane roads. Population is about 8,000. Lane splitting situations are basically in town traffic so I rarely do it.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Ridding a motorcycle is dangerous always, anything can happen to you while riding the bike, so technically since the moment you get on the bike you are already in a possible trouble.
    Yes.

Since riding itself is already an assumed risk... I do my best to avoid adding any other risks on top of it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links