New clutch issues
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

New clutch issues

This is a discussion on New clutch issues within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Hey! I am having some issues with my girlfriends new clutch and was hoping someone could shed some light. Her 2019 (non-abs) grom is still ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: New clutch issues

is praying not to loop
    Member #

New clutch issues

Hey! I am having some issues with my girlfriends new clutch and was hoping someone could shed some light.

Her 2019 (non-abs) grom is still basically new- as am I to the grom fam- and letís just say after attempting to learn god forsaken wheelies, the stock clutch said bye bye after 2 months lol. So I went ahead and ordered the EBC SRK122 clutch kit and kitaco 50% stiffer springs. I also went ahead and had the shorty levers put on and.. Iím at a loss as to whatís going on. First off, after adjusting the cable every which way, it seems impossible to get it to the perfect spot. It either lets out way too close or hardly at all. It seems to have lost quite a bit of bite- where with the stock clutch, she was popping decent baby wheelies every single time. Now it just seems kinda bogged down. Not only that but thereís a concerning noise. I only seem to notice it when slowing down/breaking & downshifting with the clutch pulled in. Like to stop at a light. It sounds like knocking to me (though she describes it differently. She says it sounds like her cbr when it has trouble catching 1st last neutral and makes that grinding type sound) and i can even feel it in the gear shift lever. It almost vibrates or knocks with the sound. It only happens when the clutch is disengaged and itíll do it in any gear. So say Iím in 3rd, if Iím braking and i downshift to 2nd, it may do it. But it doesnít do this every single time which is whatís throwing me. And if I let the clutch lever go to engage it, it stops and seems to accelerate normally.. although I will say Iíve felt what feels like slight slippage here and there. I donít know- Iím not very knowledgeable on mechanics and I get my friend to do the work whoís been riding and working on bikes majority of his life but heís never worked on such a small engine bike before. I definitely trust him and he swears he got it in right and double checked everything but even he is confused and doesnít know what to do to solve these issues. The now much more difficult wheelies with lost bite in the clutch itself, difficult cable adjustment and this ďta ta ta taĒ noise Iím hearing. Any ideas?

I might add we changed the oil to Lucas 10w40 (itís very warm here) and I think it was semi-synthetic. 1Qt. If that makes a difference.

is doing grom things
    Member #
    The teeth in the plate closest to the engine are not engaging the center hub, springs misaligned, or possibly the hub that the spring bolts screw into is cracked.

I have seen a few people, myself included, install billet clutch plates and have one of the springs not sit correctly. You will see the lip poking out of the plate a little bit. A member of this forum had someone put a clutch plate in his bike, he came to me with similar issues, once I popped the cover off it was right there, spring not seated.

The first time I totally took my clutch apart to do the extra plate mod, I messed up and didn't engage the steel to the inner hub right. Couldn't tell you what it sounded like, my clutch lever felt all out of whack and when I took it back apart that's what I figured out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Halie201 likes this.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    first of I tried synthetic oil in my grom and my clutch started slipping like crazy so I dumped out that oil and replaced it with the regular Dino 10/40 honda oil and I had to do about two oil changes before the clutch started working properly.

When replacing clutch parts esp the disc and plates the those parts need to be soaked in a oil bath first for about a hour or so just to get all those parts nice and oily.

When installing the disc and plate onto the basket it should fit nice and perfect down those little slots and the bottom of the basket it has little teeth or sprocket like gears that should mate with the disc assembly unit and when looking at the basket with all the plate/disc in it should be flush with the top of the basket and not higher than the basket.

the hold down nut should be torqued down to about 47 ft/lbs and the six bolts for the clutch springs should be torqued down to about 9ft/lb

there is a drip plate bath unit that is mounted on the bottom of the clutch unit which is held in with two bolts that needs to be checked to make sure it is nice and snug and tight. the drip plate goes in with the clutch assembly unit as one whole unit since the basket has to fit in the plate bath metal curve.

If the basket is installed wrong and is torqued down the base of the basket will crack and cause all sorts of problem.
    New clutch issues-img_4422.jpg

New clutch issues-img_4423.jpg

Good luck
    Last edited by CiscoSanJose; 05-10-2019 at 07:33 AM.
    Vinnie13 and Halie201 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is praying not to loop
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by phillybuilt View Post
    The teeth in the plate closest to the engine are not engaging the center hub, springs misaligned, or possibly the hub that the spring bolts screw into is cracked.

I have seen a few people, myself included, install billet clutch plates and have one of the springs not sit correctly. You will see the lip poking out of the plate a little bit. A member of this forum had someone put a clutch plate in his bike, he came to me with similar issues, once I popped the cover off it was right there, spring not seated.

The first time I totally took my clutch apart to do the extra plate mod, I messed up and didn't engage the steel to the inner hub right. Couldn't tell you what it sounded like, my clutch lever felt all out of whack and when I took it back apart that's what I figured out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

That spring plate may very well be the problem. I forgot to say we got the billet spring plate (aftermarket one) from Hard Racing to replace the stock one. My friend said the springs were so tough that he had to use a C clamp and the slightest movement made everything shift. He said it definitely wasnít an ďeasyĒ job for him and the flywheel holding tool that was suggest by the site for the job that I ordered was simply not deep enough to make things easy. He said it only gave him about an eighth of an inch to grab and engage when trying to disassemble and reassemble the clutch so Iím wondering is there another tool, possibly made by Honda? better fit for the job.

It is quite hard to describe sounds with only words 🤦🏼*♀️ I guess thatís why myself and my gf describe the ďknockingĒ sound differently. Jason (friend who works on it) said he thought it was simply the stiffer springs trying to engage making that noise. Either that or he was worried that, that sound combined with loss of bite making wheelies and rolling burnouts feel nearly impossible, that metal shavings had gotten into the cylinder. He sent me a picture of the screen when he changed the oil and there were definitely some small shavings on it. So Iím sure there could be/ have been pieces small enough to pass thru that screen which worries me. I feel like the whole oil situation on the bike is such a design flaw but again- I donít know much about mechanics as a whole. So Iím thinking about ordering the Kitaco clutch cover kit soon to make oil changes easier and to have that filter.

But I will definitely mention all this to him when I take it back to him to try and fix it. Thanks so much for the reply 🖤

is praying not to loop
    Member #
    @CiscoSanJose Okay, Iíll drain that oil and change it out to total non-synthetic. How long did you go between changes out of curiosity?

Also, I had to read all that information 3 times to fully understand it all! lol. He did soak the clutch plates and such in oil before hand. But as far as the rest, I cannot speak on simply bc I wasnít there to see or comment on seating or fitment. So I will pass all of this good information on to him and come back with updates ASAP. Thanks SO much for that info and included pics! 🖤

is Living the Dream

Member #
    here is a trick that I use to keep the clutch and flywheel unit from not spinning while taking off the clutch unit hold down nut or the flywheel nut, I stick a USA quarter between the gear of the crank and the clutch gear, the quarter metal is soft enough that it won't harm the teeth and yet strong enough to let you get those nuts off or on.

good luck
    Halie201 likes this.

is a squirrel
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    here is a trick that I use to keep the clutch and flywheel unit from not spinning while taking off the clutch unit hold down nut or the flywheel nut, I stick a USA quarter between the gear of the crank and the clutch gear, the quarter metal is soft enough that it won't harm the teeth and yet strong enough to let you get those nuts off or on.

good luck
    +1 on the quarter trick. I've done it a couple times with no problems.
    Halie201 likes this.

is praying not to loop
    Member #
    Awesome. I passed this info on to my friend and Iíll keep it in my mind for myself if/when I attempt to change my own 😊 thanks so much guys

is fiddling with RZ350's now!
    Member #
    Odometer
    Good grief! A quarter?

You Cali people must be rich! I only use a penny...
    skipr, Djezspin, Halie201 and 2 others like this.
    2018 Grom
    Koso 170 4V/34mm TB/Koso injector/ DIY intake/ aRacer Mini5 + AF1 + DG1
    Koso pump & chain tensioner/ Stock clutch ring / 60% stiffer springs
    Takegawa Crank Support Bearing / Takegawa Catch Can / Kitaco Clutch cover
    Clear cam sprocket cover/ Egay oil Cooler
    Ohlins F&R / Hindle exhaust w DB killer / Galfer brake line w EBC HH Pads
    Pro Taper grips, G2 throttle tube / Gromfatherz axle spacers
    Kepspeed alum. swingarm / Bar end mirror, RAM mount, USB Port
    Seat Concepts / Opmid V2

is enjoying the riding conditions
    Member #
    Odometer
    I used a quarter today in my work. I heard some horror stories of losing pennies in the depths of motor. Also, laid bike over on a bunch of lounge cushions to keep clutch springs in place while swapping out to heavier springs & billet clutch plate.
    Halie201 likes this.
    2018 Grom White, Yoshimura pipe, Kitaco clutch cover kit, Takegawa Super oil pump, Kitaco clutch springs, HR billet clutch plate, Vagabond rack w/fender eliminator, K&N filter, Pro-taper Mini Hon bar, OPmid 2 temp/volt meter, PV3 flash tool, Koso TT mirrors, OTB Gen 2 billet chain adjuster w/spools

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links