Rear License plate LED light bulb
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Rear License plate LED light bulb within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; I replaced my rear license plate bulb with LED bulb due to the fact that with the on off road and jumping on and off ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rear License plate LED light bulb

is Living the Dream

Member #

I replaced my rear license plate bulb with LED bulb due to the fact that with the on off road and jumping on and off the sidewalk and the BBK kit the OEM bulb filament will vibrate enough to cause it to break and when I replaced this OEM bulb with a aftermarket LED bulb I notice the current or the voltage on the bulb circuit too much it causes the solder joint or circuit trace to melt on the LED connection causing the rear light to fail. I soldered a heavier gauge wire as the replacement trace and it melted that off and caused rear tail light failure. I assume adding a resistor of some value will reduce the voltage/current load on the after market LED.

is "Working"

Member #
    Odometer
    Cheap Bulb or you have a wiring issue. Also never heard of a stock bulb having those issues with a bbk on off road etc..
    2017 Honda Grom SF
    [ Koso 170bbk | Koso 34mm TB | Koso Cam | Koso Cam Chain Tensioner | PCX150 Injector | Aracer MiniPlus2 W/ Wideband | Drow Carbon Intake | Brembo P32s w/ VEE Rotors | Ohlins Suspension | GromFatherz Manual Tensioner, Headstuds, Speed Spacers | Carbon Fiber Everything | ]

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked_VFR View Post
    Cheap Bulb or you have a wiring issue. Also never heard of a stock bulb having those issues with a bbk on off road etc..
    remember I do a lot DIY with both of my 2014 groms from BBK kits and such and with both groms combined mileage over 20,000+ miles I put those groms thru the paces, riding all over Northern Calif Bay area from San Jose to San Francisco, Hollister, Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay, etc takes a lot of beating when I ride it like a stole it.

The bulbs I used are Honda OEM grom license plate bulb and the LED bulb are the ones off ebay chinese made. I have ebay LED bulbs on my front head light, my blinkers, my rear tail/break light and the only one giving me problem is the rear license plate bulb light.

I guess since no one knows the answer I will put some load resistor inline with the rear license plate bulb + wire.
    Last edited by CiscoSanJose; 04-15-2019 at 09:21 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is "Working"

Member #
    Odometer
    If its melting you have a wiring issue or cheap bulbs. Buy a known brand? lol Dont know what DIY stuff have anything to do with that though lol doesnt everyone ride there grom like they stole it? I know my 170 is abused daily.
    2017 Honda Grom SF
    [ Koso 170bbk | Koso 34mm TB | Koso Cam | Koso Cam Chain Tensioner | PCX150 Injector | Aracer MiniPlus2 W/ Wideband | Drow Carbon Intake | Brembo P32s w/ VEE Rotors | Ohlins Suspension | GromFatherz Manual Tensioner, Headstuds, Speed Spacers | Carbon Fiber Everything | ]

is is a centrifugal oil filter
    fetishist

Member #
    Agreed, you either have an electrical issue or a bad bulb. The off road DIY BBK 20K miles should have nothing to do with it if done right.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked_VFR View Post
    If its melting you have a wiring issue or cheap bulbs. Buy a known brand? lol Dont know what DIY stuff have anything to do with that though lol doesnt everyone ride there grom like they stole it? I know my 170 is abused daily.
    Stock wire harness since 2014 so it is not the wire since if I use OEM honda bulbs the filament will just vibrate and snap, the stock 2014 stator and rectifier has been upgraded to 2017 stator and rectifier.

here is the update info off the net using load resistor
    Mount it on metal surface, NOT plastic; It can work on any vehicle and can be connected across the turn signal bulbs or License Plate Lights to simulate the load of a regular filament bulb(2 Amp load). One LED resistor is required for each turn signal bulb or each license plate light bulb

This info is for people who are going to do the complete LED bulb change on your older grom.

Last edited by CiscoSanJose; 04-15-2019 at 10:20 AM.

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #
    you don't need a load resistor for a static led bulb. you need a decent bulb.
    Too many toys? nah. 09 Ducati sport classic, 74 rd350 LC hybrid, 73 RD350, 73 Kawasaki S2a, 67 Kawasaki C2TR 120 Roadrunner, 71 Kawasaki G3SS powered by a CR85 liquid cooled lump, 74 Moto-Morini 3 1/2 strada, 84 Yamaha RZ350, 1962 Ford falcon, 76 Ford maverick, very early 1970 non-us Spec Yamaha R5, 89 Yamaha DT50 bought NEW in 2015, 2015 KTM 390 Duke, 72 yamaha CS5.. . oh.. and 2014 Honda Grom with lots of mods.. (some useful, most not)

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by m in sc View Post
    you don't need a load resistor for a static led bulb. you need a decent bulb.
    so what is the part number of your LED license plate bulb, seems there is so many nan's but no proof of a P/N to solve the problem I'm having so load resistor goes in.

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehi...1949&year=2015

i dont run one, use my tail light, but 20 seconds found one on the web. 194s are super common.
    Too many toys? nah. 09 Ducati sport classic, 74 rd350 LC hybrid, 73 RD350, 73 Kawasaki S2a, 67 Kawasaki C2TR 120 Roadrunner, 71 Kawasaki G3SS powered by a CR85 liquid cooled lump, 74 Moto-Morini 3 1/2 strada, 84 Yamaha RZ350, 1962 Ford falcon, 76 Ford maverick, very early 1970 non-us Spec Yamaha R5, 89 Yamaha DT50 bought NEW in 2015, 2015 KTM 390 Duke, 72 yamaha CS5.. . oh.. and 2014 Honda Grom with lots of mods.. (some useful, most not)

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by m in sc View Post
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehi...1949&year=2015

i dont run one, use my tail light, but 20 seconds found one on the web. 194s are super common.
    I used that bulb, see those two tin wire that connects to the wire connector does vibrate loose, I tried three of those bulbs so I went to three other LED bulbs and the ones in the package worked for 1/2 day than burn out the wire trace.

I even tried these and the one in the package lasted the longest 1/2 till the solder melted the end LED unit off, the other two melted the connecting wire on the bulbs so I think it's current/voltage drain that needs to be addressed that is why the load resistor might work.
    Rear License plate LED light bulb-gorm-led-lic-bulb-copy.jpg
    Last edited by CiscoSanJose; 04-15-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links