Correct product needed to keep the running light "DRL" on aftermarket LED signal?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Correct product needed to keep the running light "DRL" on aftermarket LED signal?

This is a discussion on Correct product needed to keep the running light "DRL" on aftermarket LED signal? within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Please bare with me as I am nowhere near mechanically inclined. I am interested in purchasing a set of these https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ra-turn-signal or something similar. These ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Correct product needed to keep the running light "DRL" on aftermarket LED signal?

This user has no status.

Member #

Please bare with me as I am nowhere near mechanically inclined. I am interested in purchasing a set of these https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ra-turn-signal or something similar. These signals have a white LED running light, and switch to an amber LED when signaling. Rizoma offers harness converters but nothing comes up when you select "Grom".

I would like to accomplish this task without having to do any splicing or soldering, therefore, I believe I need some sort of harness adapter. Now, here is where the problem is. Every harness converter I can find for the Grom is always a 3-2 converter, meaning it will NOT retain the running light. I tried looking for a 3-3 converter, but they only seem to make them for select Honda motorcycles and the Grom isn't one of them as far as I know. Is there a simple plug and play solution to my problem, or is soldering the only option?

This is driving me insane LOL.

This user has no status.

Member #
    There is no such thing as a 3-3 converter for obvious reasons. There's nothing to convert now is there

The Grom has a run light in the front from stock. Just install them.

Green is ground, solid orange and solid blue is the signal light positive. Orange white and blue white is the run light positive. Green is ground

It couldn't be simpler.

If you can't handle the idea of connecting wires, buy the oem connectors from cycleterminal.com
    Last edited by Wibbly; 04-14-2019 at 04:34 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibbly View Post
    There is no such thing as a 3-3 converter for obvious reasons. There's nothing to convert now is there

The Grom has a run light in the front from stock. Just install them.

Green is ground, solid orange and solid blue is the signal light positive. Orange white and blue white is the run light positive. Green is ground

It couldn't be simpler.
    But did you look at the Rizoma signals I linked? I don't think they just plug into the stock harness. I think they are some sort of bullet connecters at the ends. Hopefully this makes sense, I can try to explain better if it doesn't.

Edit: So you're saying I can just purchase those Rizoma signals and plug them directly into the OEM harness on the Grom?
    Last edited by Gromdoe; 04-14-2019 at 04:42 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    No of course not

Did you see where I showed you where to buy the connectors?

is gearing up for winter

Member #
    I dont think anyone makes any harnesses that breakout the honda connector into 3 wires.

Your options:
    1. Cut up the stock light harness, crimp it into the new lights, plug it in like normal.
    2. Cut off the stock connector on the bike, and use mating bullet/whatever connectors.
    3. Buy a new connector (i think its this style from memory Ducati - KTM turn signal connectors), and wire it into your new lights (see #1).
    4. Wire it directly into the bike, cutting off the stock connector and permanently installing the light (not suggested)

Crimping bullet/spade terminals at the ends of wires is easy, minimal knowledge required. Take your lights into a local hardware store and ask someone to help you find the right terminals and tool. (should be <20$ total)

This user has no status.

Member #
    No of course not

Did you see where I showed you where to buy the connectors?
    I did but I'm still too stupid too understand what I need

Somebody suggested this product https://www.customled.com/products/h...ctWidgetPhotos

but I still need to turn the ends to fit bullet connectors

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by turpinator View Post
    I dont think anyone makes any harnesses that breakout the honda connector into 3 wires.

Your options:
    1. Cut up the stock light harness, crimp it into the new lights, plug it in like normal.
    2. Cut off the stock connector on the bike, and use mating bullet/whatever connectors.
    3. Buy a new connector (i think its this style from memory Ducati - KTM turn signal connectors), and wire it into your new lights (see #1).
    4. Wire it directly into the bike, cutting off the stock connector and permanently installing the light (not suggested)

Crimping bullet/spade terminals at the ends of wires is easy, minimal knowledge required. Take your lights into a local hardware store and ask someone to help you find the right terminals and tool. (should be <20$ total)
    Somebody suggest this. https://www.customled.com/products/h...ctWidgetPhotos

Would that work?

This user has no status.

Member #
    look man. you need to open up your bike and actually SEE what's in there. you obviously haven't at this point.

This user has no status.

Member #
    look man. you need to open up your bike and actually SEE what's in there. you obviously haven't at this point.
    I actually have been inside the headlight assembly because I initially installed flush mount signals from TST but I didn't like them because of the fact that you lose the running light. But that setup was very simple and straightforward. 100% plug and play since the bullet connectors just plugged into the 3-2 harness adapters, which plug right into the stock harness.

But anyway, I'm trying to gain an understanding on what to do exactly, so please forgive my ignorance. Should I remove the harness on my OEM signals and find a way to connect them to the ends of my new signals? Then just plug it straight into the OEM harness? Is that the most viable option? I shouldn't have to do anything to the OEM harness connector on my bike right?
    Last edited by Gromdoe; 04-15-2019 at 02:08 AM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by turpinator View Post

Your options:

I think I am finally gaining an understanding of what I need to do.

So let me get this straight. In option 1, I should take the harnesses from my STOCK signals, then REMOVE them from my stock signals. Then get my new signals, remove the "bullet connector" ends on both of them, then connect the stock harnesses into the new signals? Then at that point I can plug it directly into my bike and keep the running light? This is most viable option right, since it's not advised to make changes to your OEM harness connector?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links