Grom rain riding
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Grom rain riding

This is a discussion on Grom rain riding within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; 18 Grom "shorts" out in the rain? Will sputter and die coming to a stop. Sometimes it will start back up. But when you try ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Grom rain riding

This user has no status.

Member #

Grom rain riding

18 Grom "shorts" out in the rain? Will sputter and die coming to a stop. Sometimes it will start back up. But when you try to give it throttle it shorts/ arcs somewhere. Can slightly hear a clicking sound around the coil when it trys to start but wont. Any ideas?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Don't drive the Grom in the rain. You can kill yourself very easy that way, forget about electrical malfunctions. I have never driven my Grom in the rain, just as it its in a dry road is already very unstable say about 45 ~ 50 mph cannot do a sudden stop safe. I was going about 50 mph when suddenly a light turned red I could not stop, the bike started skidding, I almost fall. It was a horrible feeling. It has happened to me a few times already; that's why I'm looking into a bigger bike that make have more stability when going about 50 ~ 60 mph and I need to stop quickly in an emergency.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:
    Yoshimura RS-2

is Living the Dream

Member #
    I own two original groms from 2014 and I ride in full down pour with Zero issues with the grom even when I did the BBK kit and open mouth airbox mod.

I ride my groms like I stole it and I use it like a jeep.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    I own two original groms from 2014 and I ride in full down pour with Zero issues with the grom even when I did the BBK kit and open mouth airbox mod.

I ride my groms like I stole it and I use it like a jeep.
    How exactly do you stop quickly going at 45 ~ 50 mph when an emergency occurs without skidding or not stopping straight?
    Grom 2018 Modifications:
    Yoshimura RS-2

is hiding the credit card from
    the Grom!!

Member #
    Odometer

Grom rain riding

I ride rain or shine on the Grom. I bought it as my commuter and I’m not going to pull the big dually out to fight San Diego traffic just because it calls for rain.

I was getting the sputtering as well in rain. I had to keep the rpms up around 3.5/4K to keep it from dying and to take back off from a light. It was water getting into the spark plug boot. Pack it full of dielectric grease and it’ll take care of your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paultergeist and David like this.
    2017 Grom
    Kitaco NEO 181 2V / Takegawa Oil Pump, Cam Chain Tensioner, Crank Support Kit & Catch Can
    DynoJet PCV, WB2 & AFR / OPMID 2 Temp / RPM Dual Gauge Mount
    Koso 34mm TB / Drow Sports CF Intake & Oil Cooler / Hindle Exhaust / Port Matched Head
    Kitaco Clutch Cover / SMR 6 Disc Clutch & 60% Springs / Chimera Clutch Plate
    Michelin PP SC2's / EBC Vee-Rotors & HH Pads / 15/32t & 420NZ3 Chain / SpeedoDRD
    RacingBros Adj Fork Kit and Shicane HLR Shock / Vagabond Fender Eliminator
    Seat Concepts

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by john2018 View Post
    How exactly do you stop quickly going at 45 ~ 50 mph when an emergency occurs without skidding or not stopping straight?
    Same as I did with my 99 Hayabusa or 99 Kawi ZX6R or both of my HD fatboy or Heritage, I ride with in reason and care, things will happen even if you ride a motorcycle or car or truck.

Just ride with in your means, just for your information I use to ride my hayabusa to work in full down pour going 80-100+mph, I rode that Busa like I stole it.
    Costco shopping in the Rain
    Grom rain riding-img_0282.jpg

The rain runners
    Grom rain riding-img_2279-copy.jpg
    Paultergeist likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Djezspin View Post
    I ride rain or shine on the Grom. I bought it as my commuter and I’m not going to pull the big dually out to fight San Diego traffic just because it calls for rain.
    Good for you! I'm too chicken to drive in the rain yet.

I was getting the sputtering as well in rain. I had to keep the rpms up around 3.5/4K to keep it from dying and to take back off from a light. It was water getting into the spark plug boot. Pack it full of dielectric grease and it’ll take care of your issue.

Yes, you guys have to cover very well those electronics from getting wet.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:
    Yoshimura RS-2

is hiding the credit card from
    the Grom!!

Member #
    Odometer
    Lol, bro you are doing things right by being a new rider. Take your time and don’t push yourself be you d you comfort zone. I know guys that have been riding 40+ years and will pull over if it starts to rain. Not a damn thing wrong that that. If it traffic gets heavy then I myself will pull into somewhere and wait for it to settle down.

2017 Grom
    Kitaco NEO 181 2V / Takegawa Oil Pump, Cam Chain Tensioner, Crank Support Kit & Catch Can
    DynoJet PCV, WB2 & AFR / OPMID 2 Temp / RPM Dual Gauge Mount
    Koso 34mm TB / Drow Sports CF Intake & Oil Cooler / Hindle Exhaust / Port Matched Head
    Kitaco Clutch Cover / SMR 6 Disc Clutch & 60% Springs / Chimera Clutch Plate
    Michelin PP SC2's / EBC Vee-Rotors & HH Pads / 15/32t & 420NZ3 Chain / SpeedoDRD
    RacingBros Adj Fork Kit and Shicane HLR Shock / Vagabond Fender Eliminator
    Seat Concepts

is Living the Dream

Member #

Yes, you guys have to cover very well those electronics from getting wet.
    just setup your grom engine and wire harness and exposed electronics like I did when I had my 66 VW baja bug I used Hair spray on all the coil wires and plug wires and I could drive in full down pour or snow when I used my baja bug to go skiing at Tahoe. Yes my 66 VW baja bug was not stock everything was gone thru, Porsche S90 cam, line bore and balance crank, 1600 cylinder/piston, cadrons duel carb system, converted from 6v to 12v system and more.

If people forgot what a baja bug is
    Last edited by CiscoSanJose; 04-15-2019 at 10:35 AM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    Same as I did with my 99 Hayabusa or 99 Kawi ZX6R or both of my HD fatboy or Heritage, I ride with in reason and care, things will happen even if you ride a motorcycle or car or truck.
    Yes, you are right, we always have surprises in our daily commuting.

Just ride with in your means, just for your information I use to ride my hayabusa to work in full down pour going 80-100+mph, I rode that Busa like I stole it.
    Costco shopping in the Rain
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0282.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	79558

The rain runners
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2279 copy.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	79560
    Wow! beautiful bikes! Thanks for showing them. I don't have that kind of skill yet. Not even 3 months ridding the Grom
    Grom 2018 Modifications:
    Yoshimura RS-2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links