No clutch after installing koso lifter plate.. - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

No clutch after installing koso lifter plate..

This is a discussion on No clutch after installing koso lifter plate.. within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Ok so I just put the cover on without oil and it feels like the clutch is grabbing again. Guess it could have been on ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: No clutch after installing koso lifter plate..

This user has no status.

Member #
    Ok so I just put the cover on without oil and it feels like the clutch is grabbing again. Guess it could have been on too tightly

This user has no status.

Member #
    What was on too tightly?

I've got the same problem and the inside of my clutch looks the same as yours.

However, your clutch adjustment is all the way out while mine is all the way in. Have you tried adjusting that?
    mikochu

2018 Honda Grom (Matte Gray)
    Engine: DHM 186 | 2x ECU: DHM 186 & Stock+PV3 Dank Tuned | Koso DB-03R w/ RaceDash | UEGO | MTake | DHM Header+Cheap Slip-on | Kitaco 60% Springs+Stock Plate | Superlite 16/32
    Suspension:
    RacingBros Front (7.5N/mm) / Rear (100N/mm)
    Chassis: Chimera Race Bolt | Speed Spacers | Womet-Tech Sliders | NDC Adjusters | TST Fender Eliminator | ProTaper SE Honda Mini | Neverlandback Mirrors | Corbin Saddle | Driven TT Rearsets

is 8.5.Zer0's Fastest!Grom

Member #
    Florida, Respect the Locals and our Beach!
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by mikochu View Post
    What was on too tightly?
    I believe he is referring to the 3 spring bolts,,, If to tight clutch will feel like its engaged and barely grabbing

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Ok so it grabbed a little not enough to stall the bike,just threw the stock back on . All is well

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dubSolo View Post
    I believe he is referring to the 3 spring bolts,,, If to tight clutch will feel like its engaged and barely grabbing

The only thing that tightening the 3 stock clutch bolts too tightly will do is either strip the threads or crack the basket. You cant compress the springs too far by tightening those bolts.

What you can do is have miss aligned springs that are not in their seats which could cause coil bind, Miss aligned clutch disks so things dont go together properly, a non fully seated throwout bearing, or a plunger thats not properly in the side case that will all cause these issues.

Take your time when putting things back together and you wont have any issues.

is 8.5.Zer0's Fastest!Grom

Member #
    Florida, Respect the Locals and our Beach!
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
    The only thing that tightening the 3 stock clutch bolts too tightly will do is either strip the threads or crack the basket. You cant compress the springs too far by tightening those bolts.
    This is not entirely true,,, thru my own experience when doing my clutch plate and springs I watched Z garage Video (that was a mistake) instead of referring to manuel. They suggested 12ftlbs of torque which i did and clutch did not feel or engage properly.

Went back re-checked EVERYTHING then I consulted manuel... Torqe spec is 9ftlbs adjusted accordingly and clutch has been fine ever since. I dont have the problematic koso plate, have a Kevtec the throwout bearing seats in there perfect.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dubSolo View Post
    This is not entirely true,,, thru my own experience when doing my clutch plate and springs I watched Z garage Video (that was a mistake) instead of referring to manuel. They suggested 12ftlbs of torque which i did and clutch did not feel or engage properly.

Went back re-checked EVERYTHING then I consulted manuel... Torqe spec is 9ftlbs adjusted accordingly and clutch has been fine ever since. I dont have the problematic koso plate, have a Kevtec the throwout bearing seats in there perfect.

The inner basket and clutch lifter plate mate together positively, there is no gap between them at all if things are installed properly, as such there is no difference in how the clutch works as far as tightness of those bolts. Yes spec torque should be used but going over spec isnt going to make the clutch pack smaller by compressing it more.

This user has no status.

Member #
    After cracking open the clutch cover and double checking the clutch basket, I went for a ride and there was no change. With the bearing in place, the Koso plate is . 65mm thicker at the center ring, on the backside. Not sure if that's interfering with the basket. However, after letting the bike cool down, I swapped the stock plate back in and now my clutch cable adjustments at the cover are in the middle of the range versus all the way in. Huh! Time to email Koso.

Edit: Holy shit, what a night and day difference. The clutch bites so much better now.
    Last edited by mikochu; 04-05-2019 at 04:56 PM.
    mikochu

2018 Honda Grom (Matte Gray)
    Engine: DHM 186 | 2x ECU: DHM 186 & Stock+PV3 Dank Tuned | Koso DB-03R w/ RaceDash | UEGO | MTake | DHM Header+Cheap Slip-on | Kitaco 60% Springs+Stock Plate | Superlite 16/32
    Suspension:
    RacingBros Front (7.5N/mm) / Rear (100N/mm)
    Chassis: Chimera Race Bolt | Speed Spacers | Womet-Tech Sliders | NDC Adjusters | TST Fender Eliminator | ProTaper SE Honda Mini | Neverlandback Mirrors | Corbin Saddle | Driven TT Rearsets

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    I just installed a Koso clutch kit with the koso lifter plate and have been having the same issues. I have disassembled and reassembled my clutch about 10 times. I had to totally adjust the cables just to get the bike rolling but clutch slips under power and doesn’t feel right.
    I have 2 groms so eventually disassembled the second to see what could have gone wrong. Not seeing any issues now except for what I’m reading now the suspect Koso plate.
    Going to install the stock plate this weekend and let you guys know the results.

Thanks for posting this as I thought i was going crazy.
    mikochu likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Yes I also reinstalled my stock lifter plate and now clutch grabs 100%. Anyone have any luck reaching out to Koso for replacement or refund? I bought mine on ebay or amazon well over 30 days ago so not going to bother with the distributor.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links