Fuel Consumption
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Fuel Consumption

This is a discussion on Fuel Consumption within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Have you guys noticed an increase of fuel consumption just by replacing the stock exhaust? The Grom is supposed to make 134mpg but I'm afraid ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Fuel Consumption

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer

Fuel Consumption

Have you guys noticed an increase of fuel consumption just by replacing the stock exhaust?
    The Grom is supposed to make 134mpg but I'm afraid I'm just getting around 80mpg.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:
    Yoshimura RS-2, Vagabond Cargo Rack & Fender Eliminator, GIVI Top Box.

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    is Wishing I was riding....

Member #
    Bikes in higher states of tune, and bikes ridden harder, will always return less fuel economy, however I'd consider 80mpg the be far better than the alternatives.....
    Top Shelf parts & accessories WWW.MNNTHBX.COM

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Did you do a base test first when you got your grom and do at lease 5 gas refill to see what your baseline mpg is for your style of riding than do the mod and see how much your mpg goes down. That is what I did I first wrote down all the baseline performance of my stock grom and as I slowly added performance parts I documented any changes in performance or mileage.

Even my 181-4v, 34mm throttle body 10 hole F/I will get close to 100mpg if I ride it normal and not do a speed freak thing but if I ride it like I stole it I get 80mpg.

Hopefully you did a ECM reset when you installed the aftermarket exhaust system, make sure your air adjustment needle on your throttle body is adjusted for good performance and make sure your air filter is clean or new.

Try various grade of gas, 87-89-93 octane and see which one gives you the best performance and mileage.

Good Luck and ride safe
    Last edited by CiscoSanJose; 04-03-2019 at 08:12 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    I ride my Grom for daily utility transportation so I use gas mileage as an indicator of how efficiently the engine is running. My average is 138.8 mpg.
    2018 GROM: Modified for reliability longevity gas mileage... and fun.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    Did you do a base test first when you got your grom and do at lease 5 gas refill to see what your baseline mpg is for your style of riding than do the mod and see how much your mpg goes down. That is what I did I first wrote down all the baseline performance of my stock grom and as I slowly added performance parts I documented any changes in performance or mileage.

Even my 181-4v, 34mm throttle body 10 hole F/I will get close to 100mpg if I ride it normal and not do a speed freak thing but if I ride it like I stole it I get 80mph.

Hopefully you did a ECM reset when you installed the aftermarket exhaust system, make sure your air adjustment needle on your throttle body is adjusted for good performance and make sure your air filter is clean or new.

Try various grade of gas, 87-89-93 octane and see which one gives you the best performance and mileage.

Good Luck and ride safe
    Well, when I just got it, I rode like a grandma because it was in the breaking in period, I did not know how to drive that much and I did not have a driver license but now I drive it like I stole it. I'm cruising at 7k rpm constantly, 50mph ~ 55mph. I use 91 octane only, I drive about 34 miles round trip every day. I'm refilling every 2 days, tank is almost empty after 68 miles or 2 days.

By the way, I'm 5'5" and 145 lbs before lunch
    Last edited by john2018; 04-02-2019 at 11:31 AM.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by john2018 View Post
    Well, when I just got it, I rode like a grandma because it was in the breaking in period, I did not know how to drive that much and I did not have a driver license but now I drive it like I stole it. I'm cruising at 7k rpm constantly, 50mph ~ 55mph. I use 91 octane only, I drive about 34 miles round trip every day. I'm refilling every 2 days, tank is almost empty after 68 miles or 2 days.

By the way, I'm 5'5" and 145 lbs before lunch
    wasting money at 91 octane, just use 87 until you do a BBK kit 170cc or larger.

We use to fill up our 99 Hayabusa with 91-93 octane back in 1999 until someone from our Hayabusa group did a test and said 87 octane works just as good for the busa and that is what I've been using for my 99 hayabusa.

at your wt you should be hitting 60-65mph if your break in engine has over 2K on the speedo. My 2014 grom hit 60-65mph after 2-3k miles of break in and back then I wt 225 lbs, now that I'm dieting down to a goal of 195 lbs I'm seating at 207-211.

So I assume there is something wrong with your grom, check your tire pressure, check and clean your drive chain and I would go back to stock setup and see if your mileage goes up, also recheck your spark plug color to see if it is normal dull brown, or black or ash white.

Good luck

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post

Even my 181-4v, 34mm throttle body 10 hole F/I will get close to 100mpg if I ride it normal and not do a speed freak thing but if I ride it like I stole it I get 80mph.

Good Luck and ride safe
    Thanks, I'll try 87 octane. By the way, do you know if the reserve works after the tank is fully empty? How does the reserve works? Thanks.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:

is hiding the credit card from
    the Grom!!

Member #
    Odometer
    no reserve on a Grom, my fuel gauges starts to flash (last bar) with roughly half a gallon of fuel left. I wouldn't be taking sharp extended turns with the gauge flashing as you'll probably starve the engine of fuel. Hell, just sitting on the side stand and my gauge is one bar lower than with the bike standing upright.
    2017 Grom
    Koso 4V GF Ported / Drowsports 181 piston / Takegawa Oil Pump, Cam Chain Tensioner, Crank Support Kit & Catch Can
    Koso 34mm TB GF Ported / DynoJet PCV, WB2 & AFR / GF Manual Cam Chain Adjuster
    Drow Sports CF Intake & Oil Cooler / Hindle Exhaust / OPMID 2 Temp Gauge
    Kitaco Clutch Cover / SMR 6 Disc Clutch & 60% Springs / Chimera Clutch Plate
    RacingBros Adj Fork Kit and Shicane HLR Shock / Vagabond Fender Eliminator
    Seat Concepts

is Living the Dream

Member #
    ^^^^^^^what he said^^^^^^

is just riding.

Member #
    Odometer
    I couldn't hit 80mpg's if I tried, mine has always been triple digits. '15 with Chimera intake, Tyga exhaust, EJK fuel controller and I'm 220lbs (give or take). I think the worst I've gotten was 112mpg and that's riding it hard. And always use 87 Octane.
    tooter likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links