Fuel Consumption - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Fuel Consumption

This is a discussion on Fuel Consumption within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Originally Posted by dubSolo I hear ya, for what its worth when running exhaust, intake, Pcv with afr value of 13.3 wot and mild timing ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Fuel Consumption

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by dubSolo View Post
    I hear ya, for what its worth when running exhaust, intake, Pcv with afr value of 13.3 wot and mild timing bump on my stock bore grom I averaged 120miles per tank... But im in Florida, environment might have something to do with the differences.
    Wow! That's great! Thanks for you info man.

Havent sat in Cali traffic in over 20yrs,
    You are a very wise man! I want to move out of California, this is the worse state of the union. Lots of corruption, lots of taxes to pay for the illegal aliens and politicians luxurious living, traffic is horrible, lots of crime, drugs, crazy Hollywood people, you name it.

I personally PROBLY wouldnt get on the freeway with a mostly stock grom,
    Yeah, one needs a 150 cc legally to get on the FWY so they say but I have seen many 125cc and even scooters on the FWYs.
    Once I learn more ridding this bike, because I'm a new biker, I'm planning to get on the 10 FWY since the top speed at 3pm is like 20mph or less.

I thought lane splitting was Legal in Cali you shouldnt be sitting in any traffic.
    Yes, this is the only good thing in California, you can split lanes of course in a motorcycle. But I'm taking the streets since I'm afraid still to go on the FWYs.

Unless you were pertaining to sitting in traffic in your Vehicle that definitly sucks ass and thats everyday for Cali
    Yes, this is horrible, no way to go in a car about 4pm, just idling. This is exactly why I got the Grom in the first place, even on the Grom still takes me like 45 minutes to get home in the afternoon. I appreciate your info. Keep ridding safely.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:
    Yoshimura RS-2, Vagabond Cargo Rack & Fender Eliminator, GIVI Top Box.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by john2018 View Post
    Interesting no one tells exactly how many mpg they get in their bike.
    I'm the only one here who keeps gas mileage logs.
    My Grom is averaging 139.0 mpg and my 12 year old DRZ400 is averaging 69.4 mpg.
    2018 GROM: Modified for reliability longevity gas mileage... and fun.

is hiding the credit card from
    the Grom!!

Member #
    Odometer
    Tank wise, I don't know what I get, all I know is when my gauge starts to flash I'm looking for a gas station. Most fuel I've put in at one stop is about 0.92 gallons. I don't remember what the MPG worked out to be on that but it was around 70-80mpg (181cc rich tune). All I know is I took a sharp turn right after gauge started to flash an I starved the engine of fuel. So regardless of 1.5 gallons of fuel or not, less than 1 gallon is useable for how I ride my Grom. I'll take some notes and see what I'm getting at the next fuel stop. I was running a rich tune but just leaned it out about a week ago so we will see.
    2017 Grom
    Koso 4V GF Ported / Drowsports 181 piston / Takegawa Oil Pump, Cam Chain Tensioner, Crank Support Kit & Catch Can
    Koso 34mm TB GF Ported / DynoJet PCV, WB2 & AFR / GF Manual Cam Chain Adjuster
    Drow Sports CF Intake & Oil Cooler / Hindle Exhaust / OPMID 2 Temp Gauge
    Kitaco Clutch Cover / SMR 6 Disc Clutch & 60% Springs / Chimera Clutch Plate
    RacingBros Adj Fork Kit and Shicane HLR Shock / Vagabond Fender Eliminator
    Seat Concepts

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is hiding the credit card from
    the Grom!!

Member #
    Odometer
    I bought the Grom for daily commute only not to do wheelies. I don't want to keep paying $300 a month on gasoline and sitting 4 hrs in traffic daily.
    I bought my Grom for the exact same reason, my HD Street Glide can't move though the traffic as easily. Question is why are you sitting in traffic with a Grom? If it takes me 15 minutes to get to work in the morning, I know for a fact it takes 15 minutes to get home in the afternoon heavy traffic if I'm on my Grom. Reason why my Glide doesn't get any love from me during the weekdays now, lol.
    2017 Grom
    Koso 4V GF Ported / Drowsports 181 piston / Takegawa Oil Pump, Cam Chain Tensioner, Crank Support Kit & Catch Can
    Koso 34mm TB GF Ported / DynoJet PCV, WB2 & AFR / GF Manual Cam Chain Adjuster
    Drow Sports CF Intake & Oil Cooler / Hindle Exhaust / OPMID 2 Temp Gauge
    Kitaco Clutch Cover / SMR 6 Disc Clutch & 60% Springs / Chimera Clutch Plate
    RacingBros Adj Fork Kit and Shicane HLR Shock / Vagabond Fender Eliminator
    Seat Concepts

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    I bought the Grom for daily commute only not to do wheelies. I don't want to keep paying $300 a month on gasoline and sitting 4 hrs in traffic daily. Have you driven at 7am or 4pm in the 405, 10, 5, 710, 105, 110 fwys lately?
    I'm the same, John. I ride my Grom for cheap daily practical useful transportation, not to perform circus clown tricks on it. When there's traffic I lane split... but ONLY through vehicles that are standing still waiting for red lights... NEVER when they're moving. That's suicide. Way too many sudden lane changers. Even at today's gas prices my fuel cost is only 2.5 cents a mile.

Fuel Consumption-pwexqvx.jpg
    Last edited by tooter; 04-04-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    2018 GROM: Modified for reliability longevity gas mileage... and fun.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tooter View Post
    I'm the same, John. I ride my Grom for cheap daily practical useful transportation, not to perform circus clown tricks on it. When there's traffic I lane split... but ONLY through vehicles that are standing still waiting for red lights... NEVER when they're moving. That's suicide. Way too many sudden lane changers. Even at today's gas prices my fuel cost is only 2.5 cents a mile.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PWEXqVX.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	794.4 KB 
ID:	79352
    I ride my groms like I stole it in Santa Clara Silicon valley where every other car seems to be a Tesla electric or some fancy BMW, etc. But they are stuck in traffic while I zip on thru on the grom and move out of the way of bigger faster MC that also split lanes.

The grom is great in the City of San Francisco esp down at fishman's wharf area or crossing any of the bridges in the Bay area.

The only down side in the Bay area with the grom is that it sometimes can't trigger the Left turn lane lights so I wait till it is clear and make a left turn when it is safe. Usually if I have to wait for a second change of light for a left hand turn and the light does not change to a left arrow that is when I do the hooligan left turn.
    tooter likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by tooter View Post
    I'm the only one here who keeps gas mileage logs.
    My Grom is averaging 139.0 mpg and my 12 year old DRZ400 is averaging 69.4 mpg.
    Thanks for you info. You are a very meticulous person! 139.0 mpg is awesome!
    tooter likes this.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Djezspin View Post
    I bought my Grom for the exact same reason, my HD Street Glide can't move though the traffic as easily. Question is why are you sitting in traffic with a Grom? If it takes me 15 minutes to get to work in the morning, I know for a fact it takes 15 minutes to get home in the afternoon heavy traffic if I'm on my Grom. Reason why my Glide doesn't get any love from me during the weekdays now, lol.
    Wow! that's great! you must be a very experienced and professional bike rider, I'm just a new rider, still a little afraid of the wind when I'm going at 50mph, afraid of left turns, I try to do left hand green arrows only
    When I see another rider, I try to go behind him or at least I feel better knowing that I'm not alone.
    Last edited by john2018; 04-04-2019 at 11:06 AM.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:

This user has no status.

Member #
    Yes, I know, but still for me is good to know how many miles per gallon this motorcycle makes and what is the full range with a full tank of gas.
    I know if I go with a bigger bike like a 650cc ~ 750cc the fuel consumption is almost as a corolla or civic or worse.

For example, the CBR300R makes 71 mpg, so they say, real life driving I'm guessing 50 ~ 60 mpg. So judging from these figures a 750cc I'd be getting like 30 mpg less than a corolla. Interesting no one tells exactly how many mpg they get in their bike. Even in Honda's site, they don't put that info. What a tabue!

my big ole 2004 honda 919 (919cc's) with rather antiquated and simple fuel injection gets ~ 50mpg if im nice, 40 if im blasting the canyons. CC isnt everything... my WR450 dirtbike gets ~30mpg with half the ccs of the big street bike. But i see what you are getting at.

That stated, cost difference of buying a high mpg motorcycle like the grom and a car you already own take FOREVER to recoop

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    I ride my groms like I stole it in Santa Clara Silicon valley where every other car seems to be a Tesla electric or some fancy BMW, etc. But they are stuck in traffic while I zip on thru on the grom and move out of the way of bigger faster MC that also split lanes.
    Yes, that is the great benefit of ridding a bike vs. driving the most expensive car
    This is so much fun!

The grom is great in the City of San Francisco esp down at fishman's wharf area or crossing any of the bridges in the Bay area.
    I hear you.

The only down side in the Bay area with the grom is that it sometimes can't trigger the Left turn lane lights so I wait till it is clear and make a left turn when it is safe. Usually if I have to wait for a second change of light for a left hand turn and the light does not change to a left arrow that is when I do the hooligan left turn.
    In my situation there are always cars waiting (stopped) to make the left hand turn, so I just go in front of the first car and I raise my left hand to ask their permission and they are always OK for me to proceed ahead. If they are already moving I stay behind the cars and act as normal car. If I'm the first one to make a left hand turn I wait until all opposite traffic is completely stopped and watch for pedestrians crossing before I proceed. Never assume that your way is clear to go.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links