Best Race Tires - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Best Race Tires

This is a discussion on Best Race Tires within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; I don't think the pressure was too high. I lowered it considerably and that's when i started to get slightly more grip but I had ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Best Race Tires

This user has no status.

Member #
    I don't think the pressure was too high. I lowered it considerably and that's when i started to get slightly more grip but I had no confidence in the stock tires on a cold track with it being 55 degrees outside. I mounted the michilen PP 2ct's so hopefully they will be better. They look to at least have a better profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
    #1 PMT slicks 100f / 120r
    #2 Mitas 100f / 120r
    #3 Dunlop TT93's or Bridgestone Battlax 100f / 120r
    #4 Kendas KD1 (for those on a tight budget) 100f / 120r
    #5 Michelin PP's

"Felt like I was riding on ice" - be sure to run proper tire psi. Sounds like your psi was too high. I've seen guys run a decent pace on stock tires. Otherwise, see my tire list above

This user has no status.

Member #
    I will definitely try these next. They look to be more of what I was looking for.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I took my grom to the track for the first time last weekend and had a blast. Im looking to upgrade the stock tires and i cant make up my mind between the TT93's and the Mitas. A lot of the guys at my local even were running the mitas, and they seem to work really well but they are dedicated track groms.

So for my questions, has anyone ever ran either tire for dual tack and street use (yes i know they will wear faster) and it seems like you can run them with out warmers? My second question (well question 2.5 i guess lol) if i was to pick the Mitas, i see people running different compounds on the front and rear. Whats the best combo to pic or should i keep the compounds the same front and rear.

thanks
    Keith

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Due to my background of having YSR's and NSR, I had used Dunlop TT's for both street and track. I have only used Mitas on the track, on a KX65. I can say, I rode the KX65 a lot harder than the YSR or NSR. Therefore, really hard to say whether the Mitas would go the distance (a long time), as I had with Dunlop TT's. Difference with the Mitas, are compound options (soft, med, hard), vs Dunlops. Regardless, you can't go wrong with either, and both have similar tread patterns., not that it really matters. OTOH, until you start beating or keeping pace with the really fast guys, you probably won't tell the difference with grip. Having the proper psi for your riding style and preference is key to having optimal grip and confidence, regardless what tire you use

I have one track day on the Kenda KD1's. A work in progress of dialing in the psi for ideal grip. So far, I like them...... until I decide to switch up to Mitas. Again, I prefer PMT slicks. But, the bike is being used for street and track. Slicks on the street are illegal, and not worth taking a chance with.
    Last edited by Manimal; 04-11-2019 at 10:00 AM.
    2014 Grom (Red)

This user has no status.

Member #
    I'm actually runny Mita soft right now on the street and I'm surprised how long they have lasted

For the price I would rather have the confidence with the mitas, ran Dunlops for years but since trying the mitas I haven't looked back
    TMGP Sprint #78
    Endurance Team "I Just Wanna Ride" #104

http://texasminigp.com/index.html
    Half the Size Twice the Fun

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links