4th bearing flywheel support and modified oil hole question
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on 4th bearing flywheel support and modified oil hole question within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; This question is for those BBK kit engine builders that have installed the 4th support bearing in your flywheel case cover, did you do the ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 4th bearing flywheel support and modified oil hole question

is Living the Dream

Member #

This question is for those BBK kit engine builders that have installed the 4th support bearing in your flywheel case cover, did you do the mod where you drilled a hole in the case near where the bearings mount so that the bearings will get oil dripping on it or you just mounted the bearing and the hold down plate and be done?

I have both the old and new 4th bearing support since I up graded one of my 2014 grom engine with 2017 stator and rectifier. I did noticed that on the old grom 4th bearing support kit the hold down plate had zero spacing so I assume that oil will not drip down into the bearing for lube and the 2017 newer 4th bearing hold down plate seems to have a little spacer style design that looks like oil can slip down into the bearings.

Talking to a few BBK kit grom owners in San Jose that have done the 4th bearing support upgrade they did noticed that the bearing esp on the 2014 style support unit seems to wear out a little faster and that is why the modified drill hole is needed to lube the bearing.

Anyone noticed any difference if they drilled their flywheel case to help the 4th bearing support lubing or you just mounted the unit and let it be.

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #
    drilled mine up top, as far towards the outside of the cover as i could. just had the cover off, bearing looks great. i also countersunk the hole a bit to act as an oil well.
    Too many toys? nah. 09 Ducati sport classic, 74 rd350 LC hybrid, 73 RD350, 73 Kawasaki S2a, 67 Kawasaki C2TR 120 Roadrunner, 71 Kawasaki G3SS powered by a CR85 liquid cooled lump, 74 Moto-Morini 3 1/2 strada, 84 Yamaha RZ350, 1962 Ford falcon, 76 Ford maverick, very early 1970 non-us Spec Yamaha R5, 89 Yamaha DT50 bought NEW in 2015, 2015 KTM 390 Duke, 72 yamaha CS5.. . oh.. and 2014 Honda Grom with lots of mods.. (some useful, most not)

is wishing I could keep all the
    bikes I've owned.

Member #
    I drilled and countersunk mine just like m in sc. When I open the center access plug on the cover, there's always a good amount of oil there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    It seems like there is always one more thing to buy, THEN I’ll really notice a difference in performance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is hiding the credit card from
    the Grom!!

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by m in sc View Post
    drilled mine up top, as far towards the outside of the cover as i could. just had the cover off, bearing looks great. i also countersunk the hole a bit to act as an oil well.
    Same, always oil in the bearing when I remove the inspection plug.
    2017 Grom
    Koso 4V GF Ported / Drowsports 181 piston / Takegawa Oil Pump, Cam Chain Tensioner, Crank Support Kit & Catch Can
    Koso 34mm TB GF Ported / DynoJet PCV, WB2 & AFR / GF Manual Cam Chain Adjuster
    Drow Sports CF Intake & Oil Cooler / Hindle Exhaust / OPMID 2 Temp Gauge
    Kitaco Clutch Cover / SMR 6 Disc Clutch & 60% Springs / Chimera Clutch Plate
    RacingBros Adj Fork Kit and Shicane HLR Shock / Vagabond Fender Eliminator
    Seat Concepts

is 8.5.Zer0's Fastest!Grom

Member #
    Florida, Respect the Locals and our Beach!
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by m in sc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by solidjohnny View Post
    I drilled and countersunk mine just like m in sc. When I open the center access plug on the cover, there's always a good amount of oil there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djezspin View Post
    Same, always oil in the bearing when I remove the inspection plug.
    What size drill bit and did anybody take pictures??? The bearing kit came in today, might do this weekend.

is hiding the credit card from
    the Grom!!

Member #
    Odometer
    https://www.hondagrom.net/forums/27-...m-build-5.html

I know I started out with a 1/16" bit, then worked my way up to 1/4". It's big but I have lots of oil. I started small and worked up to 3/32" on the lower hole. My bike has been sitting for almost an hour and you can see there is still oil on the bearing and in the cover so seems to be working perfectly.

4th bearing flywheel support and modified oil hole question-7bgcozxirh-ccaijmkthwa.jpg4th bearing flywheel support and modified oil hole question-tlymp4vxrxcrsz3avimg3a.jpg4th bearing flywheel support and modified oil hole question-n1gvxdqbtdmddoz5imfltg.jpg

Damn photos got rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise. Obviously the bigger hole is at 12 o'clock and little hole is at 6 o'clock

I originally tried to drill from inside the inspection cover as you can see by the little nub next to the 1/4" hole. It didn't work out so I drilled both holes from the backside to the cover in towards the inspection port.

Top hole is countersunk on topside, bottom hole is just a hole, no countersink as I'm not concerned with trying to get the oil out of there and back into the sump.

lol, last edit...bottom hole works great because I don't ever get oil leaking out all over the place when I remove the inspection hole plug, as long as I let it sit for about an hour first.
    Last edited by Djezspin; 03-13-2019 at 06:48 PM.
    dubSolo and MSX UD ITA like this.
    2017 Grom
    Koso 4V GF Ported / Drowsports 181 piston / Takegawa Oil Pump, Cam Chain Tensioner, Crank Support Kit & Catch Can
    Koso 34mm TB GF Ported / DynoJet PCV, WB2 & AFR / GF Manual Cam Chain Adjuster
    Drow Sports CF Intake & Oil Cooler / Hindle Exhaust / OPMID 2 Temp Gauge
    Kitaco Clutch Cover / SMR 6 Disc Clutch & 60% Springs / Chimera Clutch Plate
    RacingBros Adj Fork Kit and Shicane HLR Shock / Vagabond Fender Eliminator
    Seat Concepts

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #
    i think i used a 6mm. ? honestly don't remember.
    Too many toys? nah. 09 Ducati sport classic, 74 rd350 LC hybrid, 73 RD350, 73 Kawasaki S2a, 67 Kawasaki C2TR 120 Roadrunner, 71 Kawasaki G3SS powered by a CR85 liquid cooled lump, 74 Moto-Morini 3 1/2 strada, 84 Yamaha RZ350, 1962 Ford falcon, 76 Ford maverick, very early 1970 non-us Spec Yamaha R5, 89 Yamaha DT50 bought NEW in 2015, 2015 KTM 390 Duke, 72 yamaha CS5.. . oh.. and 2014 Honda Grom with lots of mods.. (some useful, most not)

is wishing I could keep all the
    bikes I've owned.

Member #
    wow....you guys went big. I think I only went up to about 1/8"
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    It seems like there is always one more thing to buy, THEN I’ll really notice a difference in performance.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Thanks for all the info and pic, are most of these pre-2017 groms 2013-16 with the old stator unit or any with the newer stator unit which needs the newer 4th bearing support bearing plate.

Ride safe all

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    1500 km
    Yesterday I received my kit. I will definitively copy OPs drilling setup

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1A utilizzando Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links