Big bore/cam/ starting/running issue? Help! - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Big bore/cam/ starting/running issue? Help!

This is a discussion on Big bore/cam/ starting/running issue? Help! within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Glad to hear you got the idle/stalling problem figured out. 1100 rpm is def too low. My bike smoked for a while after my big ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Big bore/cam/ starting/running issue? Help!

is wishing I could keep all the
    bikes I've owned.

Member #
    Glad to hear you got the idle/stalling problem figured out. 1100 rpm is def too low.

My bike smoked for a while after my big bore kit install. It also took a while for it to stop smoking after start up. I'd say about one tank of gas before it cleared up. I probably coated the cylinder, piston, and valve stem with way too much motor oil during assembly.

Not sure if you still have the crankcase vent hose connected to your intake. Its possible to get some oil pumped into the intake from there when you're running at high rpm for a long time, but it shouldn't be enough to see smoke out of your tailpipe (I think). I doubt this is the cause for you. I think its very normal to see oil everywhere when you remove the head, so don't worry about that.
    Last edited by solidjohnny; 03-11-2019 at 03:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    It seems like there is always one more thing to buy, THEN I’ll really notice a difference in performance.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    ALRIGHT GUYS, coming at you with another update, I think my issue is RESOLVED THANK GOD. Lets start off with what I did. I replaced all the piston rings with the other piston rings that came in the kit, I installed new base and head gaskets that just arrived today. I positioned the rings as I did last time and installed the gaskets, rotated the engine over a bunch of times, torqued the head nuts down to 18 ft lbs, put everything back together, replaced the oil filter in my kitaco clutch cover, threw a quart of 10w30 honda GN4 oil in, and it fired right up (it ran great last time too, just smoked right away). But this time, no smoke! I was actually amazed because the muffler is saturated with oil still, and it didnt smoke at all. I let the bike idle for about 20 minutes and took it for a short ride to the gas station. Got gas, started it back up, rode it back home, not a single bit of smoke! It's a night and day difference. Last time I rode it before taking it apart smoked worse than my YZ250 two stroke, but now you cant even tell it's running. Im so pumped. So all in all, the possibilities of what could have been wrong is either the piston rings were the wrong ones or size, or the head gasket was leaking, those were the only parts I changed. Thank you everyone for your help in trying to figure out what could have been wrong, but fortunately everything seems to be working great. Now to change my chain/sprockets hahaha

This user has no status.

Member #
    Is it possible that the ring Gap on the piston rings somewhere is too large...? This could cause scraping of the side walls and the tendency to have too much friction, it could also let oil pass by too much causing the bike to smoke a little bit... I'm not sure if that is the problem, but it sounds like it possibly could be...

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    1500 km
    Not for a quality brand new piston.. Rings are included with pistons.. If mechanic is an idiot everything's possible

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1A utilizzando Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaalskinner View Post
    ALRIGHT GUYS, coming at you with another update, I think my issue is RESOLVED THANK GOD. Lets start off with what I did. I replaced all the piston rings with the other piston rings that came in the kit, I installed new base and head gaskets that just arrived today. I positioned the rings as I did last time and installed the gaskets, rotated the engine over a bunch of times, torqued the head nuts down to 18 ft lbs, put everything back together, replaced the oil filter in my kitaco clutch cover, threw a quart of 10w30 honda GN4 oil in, and it fired right up (it ran great last time too, just smoked right away). But this time, no smoke! I was actually amazed because the muffler is saturated with oil still, and it didnt smoke at all. I let the bike idle for about 20 minutes and took it for a short ride to the gas station. Got gas, started it back up, rode it back home, not a single bit of smoke! It's a night and day difference. Last time I rode it before taking it apart smoked worse than my YZ250 two stroke, but now you cant even tell it's running. Im so pumped. So all in all, the possibilities of what could have been wrong is either the piston rings were the wrong ones or size, or the head gasket was leaking, those were the only parts I changed. Thank you everyone for your help in trying to figure out what could have been wrong, but fortunately everything seems to be working great. Now to change my chain/sprockets hahaha

Hey man I may be in the same boat as you or was - I've ordered new Piston Rings and a new Piston - hope to get it working the same as you. I also have the Neo Kit / Power commander & wideband 2. Maybe I can bother you with some questions?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links