Engine seized after 2200km
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Engine seized after 2200km within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Any advice people can give me: I've only just hit 2200km on my 2017 Honda Grom and the bike has seized. I took it to ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Engine seized after 2200km

This user has no status.

Member #

Any advice people can give me:

I've only just hit 2200km on my 2017 Honda Grom and the bike has seized.
    I took it to the Peter Stevens service centre this morning and it appears the bike has run out of oil.
    This is my first bike and I missed the 1000km service so it looks like Peter Stevens is going to try and get out of the warranty because of this.
    Does the Grom generally chew through oil this quickly? Based on the service schedule you'd expect the bike to go 5000km without replacing oil?
    Do people think the warranty should be honoured or am I in trouble? Keep in mind I wasn't advised by P.S that the bike chews through oil and they didn't show me the oil gauge where you can easily check how much oil is in the tank. As a first time bike owner I think I shouldn't be liable.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbeamo View Post
    Any advice people can give me:

I've only just hit 2200km on my 2017 Honda Grom and the bike has seized.
    I took it to the Peter Stevens service centre this morning and it appears the bike has run out of oil.
    This is my first bike and I missed the 1000km service so it looks like Peter Stevens is going to try and get out of the warranty because of this.
    Does the Grom generally chew through oil this quickly? Based on the service schedule you'd expect the bike to go 5000km without replacing oil?
    Do people think the warranty should be honoured or am I in trouble? Keep in mind I wasn't advised by P.S that the bike chews through oil and they didn't show me the oil gauge where you can easily check how much oil is in the tank. As a first time bike owner I think I shouldn't be liable.
    You didn't perform basic maintenance or check your oil level, how is that Honda's fault?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Could be a problem with the engine if it's going through 1 litre of oil and I've only owned the bike 4 months?
    Not saying it's Honda's fault but I'm a new bike owner, so I should at least be advised by the store I'm buying from about known issues?
    A new bike/car should be able to travel more than 2000km without basic maintenance. If not I'd choose a different bike.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Unfortunately it sounds like you voided the warranty by not proving that you did the required maintenance. Also, the owner's manual covers what should be checked regularly like oil level and tire pressure. You can try escalating it to Honda. Hope it turns out well for you.
    David likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks yeah I pumped the tires but seem to have been caught out on the oil. I just expected a better return from the oil than 2000km. It's a pretty expensive lesson and something I wouldn't have to worry about if I'd been given all the info.

This user has no status.

Member #
    2000km, for 1 measily quart of oil at 9k rpms.... yeah its gonna chew some oil. ALWAYS check your oil it literally takes 15 seconds.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Sorry to say it sounds like that is on you, oil should have been changed 1200km ago or at least checked and topped off. I got my this winter and when I changed the oil at 700mi (1100km) there was a layer of grime in the spinner and break in debris in the screen, and I think it had 3/4 qt or so. Per the manual on my KLR650 it req'd the first oil change at 600 miles, though I did it sooner as the first oil change likely had the dirtiest oil the bike will ever see. Stretching the first interval to twice of the recommended would probably have voided warranty from Kawasaki as well.

Single lung bikes seem to burn oil when ran at high rpm for extended periods of time and it's considered normal.
    There are PDF Grom owners/shop manuals floating around with about everything you need to know.
    Last edited by makg; 01-14-2018 at 09:00 PM.
    Jimbeamo likes this.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    time for a BBK, either the super head 125cc or the NEO 181-2v kit or if you want to really go fast the Koso 170-4v kit.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    1500 km
    and they didn't show me the oil gauge where you can easily check how much oil is in the tank
    aha! surely not your fault

gogo max rev

is a centrifugal oil filter
    fetishist

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalGrom View Post
    Unfortunately it sounds like you voided the warranty by not proving that you did the required maintenance. Also, the owner's manual covers what should be checked regularly like oil level and tire pressure. You can try escalating it to Honda. Hope it turns out well for you.
    What he said. It's your job to check the oil level (Honda's recommended ''Pre-ride inspection'' in the owner's manual) and it's your job to take in for maintenance.
    And obviously it's your job to read your owners manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbeamo View Post
    Do people think the warranty should be honoured or am I in trouble?
    - The Grom doesn't chew through oil but like all internal combustion engines there is always some oil consumption, that's the reason they all have a dipstick. Plus the difference between MAX and MIN on the Groms dipstick is very small, extra reason for checking regularly.
    - Yes it can go 5000km without replacing the oil (after first service), that doesn't mean it does not have to be checked and eventually toped up. Replacing and checking fluid levels are different things.
    - I guess you're in trouble. My advice: be nice with your dealer, it's not their fault. Be polite and patient and try to find a solution with them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links