How much oil do you guys run?? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

How much oil do you guys run??

This is a discussion on How much oil do you guys run?? within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Originally Posted by Paultergeist I have the Kitaco clutch cover -- no oil cooler. My engine is otherwise stock. I just pour an entire quart ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How much oil do you guys run??

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    1500 km
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    I have the Kitaco clutch cover -- no oil cooler. My engine is otherwise stock. I just pour an entire quart (.946 liters) bottle into the crankcase at every oil change. Based on the little glass window on the Kitaco clutch cover, that amount of oil appears to be a little bit high, but I surmise that I am still within tolerances. I have had no issues with just dumping the entire quart in with every oil change.

oil change with or w/o filter ?

I'm confused, I put 1.2 to have a decent level.. especially for cold starts.... (0° c)
    seriously.. at cold starts I saw oil disappear from oil level window.. even with right inclined bike.. maybe I'm too much apprehensive

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    Well then, hold on to that warm fuzzy feeling, because unless you flush and drain the crankcase (which would be totally un- necessary), there is always a little bit of the “old” oil left in the engine during an oil change. This volume of residual oil is diluted with each oil change, and is generally considered to be of no significance.

but if you are using an external oil cooler and you were really worried about it, you can always just disconnect one hose from the lower fitting on the oil cooler, and just let the oil drain out. No biggie either way.
    I didn’t realize how little capacity they had, the Kitaco cooler is 75cc which is about 0.08 quarts, which means that less than 10 percent is retained. But still, that’s more substantial than oil clinging to my crank case. You bet I’ll hold on to my warm fuzzy feeling because I don’t have a cooler to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by MSX UD ITA View Post
    at cold starts I saw oil disappear from oil level window.. even with right inclined bike.. maybe I'm too much apprehensive
    With the bikes I’ve owned, the sight glass becomes relatively worthless after it’s cranked and the pump runs, draining the sump.
    Last edited by makg; 12-19-2017 at 10:40 AM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by MSX UD ITA View Post
    oil change with or w/o filter ?
    Either way....but most of the time, I replace the small cartridge oil filter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by makg View Post
    With the bikes I’ve owned, the sight glass becomes relatively worthless after it’s cranked and the pump runs, draining the sump.
    This has been my experience as well; the sight glass window is ~accurate with the bike engine not running, the engine turned off long enough for the oil to settle in the sump, and the bike being held level. The same is true for using the (stock) dipstick.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Correct. Dipstick / sightglass readings are rather useless with the bike running or shortly there after unless specified in the manual (IE a dry sump system)

I think the grom manual states idle the bike for a few minutes, shut it off wait 1 or 2 minutes then take a reading.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links