ND4's Bulletproof clutch mod
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on ND4's Bulletproof clutch mod within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Not sure if anyone else has done something like this but i figured id post up my new clutch setup and mod. In classic ND4 ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ND4's Bulletproof clutch mod

This user has no status.

Member #

Not sure if anyone else has done something like this but i figured id post up my new clutch setup and mod. In classic ND4 fashion i like to make things reliable so here we go. (you can skip below the second === to get the mod)

================================================== ===================
    Backstory: I finally rounded out my bbk with a finbro superhead that i ported n polished up myself. Things are running amazingly good. The other day i missed a shift between first n second at WOT, wound it out to 12.5k and dumped it back into 2nd and was appalled at how much clutch slip there was, probably around 1.5-2 seconds before it fully grabbed (this was with EBC "10% stiffer" springs and the stock clutch plate). So i set out to get ye ole standard billet clutch plate and much stiffer springs.

I ended up with this

Honda Grom/MSX125 Billet CNC Clutch Plate Kit [WCR] - $49.99 : The Sic Shop, Stunt Parts Store

with 6 finbro springs. 67ish shipped for a nice billet piece and 6 MUUUUUCH stiffer springs.

So the other night i popped it in and took her out for a spin. Clutch grab was INSANELY better, lever pull not any worse than my other motorcycles, but you can actually clutch up a 2nd gear wheelie with ease now and full rev limit clutch dumps have almost zero slip.

Then i took a shit, and a shower, which allowed me to think (this is never any good).

This billet plate has identical tabs for all 6 spots which include a hole for one of the 3 stock bolts. I never liked how 3 of the springs were not captured by a bolt on either a stock or aftermarket clutch plate especially considering how much stiffer these new springs were. So i decided to change this.
    ================================================== ===================

The stock pressure plate has 3 of its 6 spring standoffs threaded for 3 M6x1.00 x 20mm flange bolts. The other 3 standoffs just so happened to be already drilled with the right sized hole (a smidge under 5mm) to be tapped for M6x1.00 threads. In combo with my new billet plate that had each spring tab with a hole in it, things could work out well for a 6 bolt clutch. So i pulled the side cover back off. Pulled the clutch out of the bike so I could tap the predrilled unthreaded holes with an M6x1.00 tap i borrowed from a buddy. Went to the hardware store n picked up 3 M6x1.00 x 20mm flange bolts and then bolted everything back together. Now every spring is properly captured. There is no extra stress on the ears of the clutch lifter plate caused by springs not being properly captured and i feel much better now.

I did not take any pics of the disassembly or tapping process, but any clutch disassembly video will show you how to get to be able to pull the pressure plate out. But here is the final product. 3 OEM bolts and 3 new bolts properly holding the clutch all together in one big happy grippy family.

ND4's Bulletproof clutch mod-6boltclutch.jpg

This user has no status.

Member #
    I run the same plate and springs. Love it. Really takes the mush out of it

is doing grom things
    Member #
    Good to know they won't have to be drilled out anymore before running a tap through it. Seems like a common sense mod that anyone with an aftermarket plate should be doing.

Thanks for doing this before I bought mine... think I'll be doing the same thing considering how often I drop the clutch!

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by phillybuilt View Post
    Good to know they won't have to be drilled out anymore before running a tap through it. Seems like a common sense mod that anyone with an aftermarket plate should be doing.

Thanks for doing this before I bought mine... think I'll be doing the same thing considering how often I drop the clutch!

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    Only some of the aftermarket plates have 6 identical ears that will allow this. Lots only have 3 holes drilled through them and 3 spots to recess the bolt heads. That stated, when considering a clutch lifter plate, getting one with 6 holes like i did has its benefits.

This user has no status.
    Member #
    Iíve been considering doing this quite some time now. Just havenít had a real need to do it. Though Iíve got my hands on 6 of the busa springs and from what I heard(well, seen tests on Facebook), theyíre by far the stiffest thatíll fit in a Grom. Also have my RSC on order. When it comes in I plan to do this mod.

is wishing I could keep all the
    bikes I've owned.
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMajekalBum View Post
    Iíve been considering doing this quite some time now. Just havenít had a real need to do it. Though Iíve got my hands on 6 of the busa springs and from what I heard(well, seen tests on Facebook), theyíre by far the stiffest thatíll fit in a Grom. Also have my RSC on order. When it comes in I plan to do this mod.
    If the Hayabusa Springs are a lot taller than the stock springs, its not going to work because they'll bind before the clutch is fully disengaged. When you lock the three clutch plate bolts down, you'll hardly see a gap between the coils of the spring. Once you put the clutch cover back on, you'll know immediately when you go to test it out. Your clutch lever will have a bit of "play" then feel very stiff...don't try to force it.

HOWEVER....If it works, let us know! Share the part number.

This user has no status.

Member #
    ^ yup what solidjohnny says. I actually ordered a set of the busa springs and they are too long, They are almost at coil bind just sitting in the clutch with the plate tightened, let alone when them further compress to disengage the clutch.

This user has no status.
    Member #
    I got them off a guy on Facebook (Pistol Pete I think was the name) that has been using them in his Grom. Even had them on a spring scale comparing them to stock and ebc springs. Spring height looks same as stock. Iíll post the part number when I get home later this evening.

is wishing I could keep all the
    bikes I've owned.
    Member #
    I got them off a guy on Facebook (Pistol Pete I think was the name) that has been using them in his Grom. Even had them on a spring scale comparing them to stock and ebc springs. Spring height looks same as stock. I’ll post the part number when I get home later this evening.
    It would probably work great if they are cut down to the right height. I thought about it, but it would've been too much effort for me to make the cut end look nice.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I got them off a guy on Facebook (Pistol Pete I think was the name) that has been using them in his Grom. Even had them on a spring scale comparing them to stock and ebc springs. Spring height looks same as stock. I’ll post the part number when I get home later this evening.

while they might be same or similar height their wire diameter is MUCH bigger which creates the coil bind

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links