ND4's Bulletproof clutch mod - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

ND4's Bulletproof clutch mod

This is a discussion on ND4's Bulletproof clutch mod within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Originally Posted by nd4spdbh I actually tapped mine on the bike as it holds the pressure plate very well (had to take it off to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ND4's Bulletproof clutch mod

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
    I actually tapped mine on the bike as it holds the pressure plate very well (had to take it off to clean the tapping flakes) You gotta be slow and methodic with a tap. 1/4 turn of cutting, back off a full turn. fully pulled the tap out of the holes probably 4x per hole to clean the tap and re lube with some oil.
    If i had something to keep the clutch from spinning it probably would have been fine. Oh well, a new one was only $17 so not too bad of a mistake.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Np214 View Post
    If i had something to keep the clutch from spinning it probably would have been fine. Oh well, a new one was only $17 so not too bad of a mistake.

I forget what side the pressure plate was on. But you can either pop a quarter in the primary gear to hold things from spinning, or put the trans in gear (4th) and use the rear break

is doing grom things

Member #
    Placed my order for the clutch plate and 6 finbro springs today. Left a note asking for the 6 hole version, they sent me back an email saying that the 6 hole ones are on back order... still waiting for a reply on timeframe.

Good thing it's winter... and riding is temporarily on hold.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by phillybuilt View Post
    Placed my order for the clutch plate and 6 finbro springs today. Left a note asking for the 6 hole version, they sent me back an email saying that the 6 hole ones are on back order... still waiting for a reply on timeframe.

Good thing it's winter... and riding is temporarily on hold.

I feel bad for you guys and winter..... I was out on "The Snake" on my grom xmas day, then on the big bike (honda 919) a few days later in beautiful 75* weather

is doing grom things

Member #
    I just got an email back, West Coast Raceworks is who makes the 6 hole version, they do not know when they are making more. So I'm just going to take the 3 hole version and put it on a drill press and make it a 6 hole.

The sic shop is always good to deal with. They had the best price on this and the customer service was great.

This was the weather last week...

This user has no status.

Member #
    those temperatures are missing digits. FML THATS COOOLLLLLD!

is doing grom things

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
    those temperatures are missing digits. FML THATS COOOLLLLLD!
    We were in single digits for a few days, overnight negative temperatures. It's rough.

Anyways, I took my Grom apart today, to tap the other 3 holes. I found that after fully tapping them (normal tap not a bottom tap) and I am going to need slightly shorter bolts. Only 3-4 mm difference, haven't measured exactly. They all stopped at the same spot.

They did tap very easily on the bike. Held the brake and left it in gear, worked fine. The clutch plate and springs shipped out today. Quick date with the drill press and we'll be all set.

Every time I look at the oil spinner, I remember that I really need a Kitaco cover...

This user has no status.

Member #
    I just got an email back, West Coast Raceworks is who makes the 6 hole version, they do not know when they are making more. So I'm just going to take the 3 hole version and put it on a drill press and make it a 6 hole.

I'm going to do this as well, seems simple enough.

This user has no status.

Member #
    We were in single digits for a few days, overnight negative temperatures. It's rough.

Anyways, I took my Grom apart today, to tap the other 3 holes. I found that after fully tapping them (normal tap not a bottom tap) and I am going to need slightly shorter bolts. Only 3-4 mm difference, haven't measured exactly. They all stopped at the same spot.

They did tap very easily on the bike. Held the brake and left it in gear, worked fine. The clutch plate and springs shipped out today. Quick date with the drill press and we'll be all set.

Every time I look at the oil spinner, I remember that I really need a Kitaco cover...

I tapped all the way through the holes without issue. And grabbed a metric bolt the same length as the stockers n didnt have an issue.

As far as the kitaco cover, just take the stock spinner to a buddy and have him turn it down for a 6 pack of beer. I had a buddy owe me a favor and he has a lathe at his place. 10 min later and 1.2Lbs off the outer part of the spinner! cost = free

is adventuring one bike at a
    time.

Member #
    Yes, it is easy to cut the oil spinner reducing the mass. The chips do carry quite a bit of heat with a decent cut.
    2015 Grom (track/training bike)
    2016 BMW R1200GS (Daddy Bike)
    2018 BMW G310R (Daughter's new ride)
    "Six bikes are our limit." -Unicorn Wife

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links