Cylinder Head Temperature -- How Hot Should It Be, Anyway? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Cylinder Head Temperature -- How Hot Should It Be, Anyway?

This is a discussion on Cylinder Head Temperature -- How Hot Should It Be, Anyway? within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Measuring from the base of the spark plug: What should be the optimum and maximum cylinder head temperatures?...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Cylinder Head Temperature -- How Hot Should It Be, Anyway?

is wishing I could keep all the
    bikes I've owned.

Member #
    Measuring from the base of the spark plug: What should be the optimum and maximum cylinder head temperatures?

is Never thought stock bore could
    be so good

Member #
    From Texas. Lived in Southern California for a bit. Currently in Central Florida.
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by solidjohnny View Post
    Measuring from the base of the spark plug: What should be the optimum and maximum cylinder head temperatures?
    I just try to keep mine below 375°F. Not sure about optimum.
    Takegawa 12.5:1 Piston
    Ported Head w/ TB valves
    2" Intake w/UNI filter
    DanMoto conical exhaust (no kidding)

is KOSO170BBK4v

Member #
    As others have posted. In my area summer time temps can be anywhere between 80-100.. on normal days anywhere around 70-85ish I usually see my koso digital cluster go up to around 180-200deg on normal back road riding. If i'm really romping on it and get stopped at a few lights i'll normally see around 206-215ish... Different riding styles will make it vary. On the hot hot days and stuck in traffic it'll come up to 220-230, and I usually will pull off someplace once I hit 230 and let the bike cool off some, or find a side road to take a nice stroll and let temps come dow. (rarely happens that I have to shut it off, but I like to er- on the side of caution). I also use the stock temp sensor and the koso digital speedo cluster w/ temp monitoring. To note: I have koso 170 bbk 4v head.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is Never thought stock bore could
    be so good

Member #
    From Texas. Lived in Southern California for a bit. Currently in Central Florida.
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by nema741 View Post
    As others have posted. In my area summer time temps can be anywhere between 80-100.. on normal days anywhere around 70-85ish I usually see my koso digital cluster go up to around 180-200deg on normal back road riding. If i'm really romping on it and get stopped at a few lights i'll normally see around 206-215ish... Different riding styles will make it vary. On the hot hot days and stuck in traffic it'll come up to 220-230, and I usually will pull off someplace once I hit 230 and let the bike cool off some, or find a side road to take a nice stroll and let temps come dow. (rarely happens that I have to shut it off, but I like to er- on the side of caution). I also use the stock temp sensor and the koso digital speedo cluster w/ temp monitoring. To note: I have koso 170 bbk 4v head.
    It's noteworthy that the stock temp sensor reading and the reading you get at the plug are WILDLY different. It might say 235 at the stock temp sensor location and 355 at the other AT THE SAME TIME.
    Takegawa 12.5:1 Piston
    Ported Head w/ TB valves
    2" Intake w/UNI filter
    DanMoto conical exhaust (no kidding)

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    4k+....
    I'll add that temperature sensors only measure the temperature of the sensor. Unless the system has reached thermal stasis, the thermal resistance will cause compression in the reported temperature, both in intensity and rise and fall time. The actual temperature is guaranteed to be higher than the temperature of the sensor.
    estallings15 likes this.

Supporting Member
    This user has no status.

Member #
    After a 10-mile, mostly WOT ride, I shot the cylinder head of my week-old Grom with my IR thermometer and read nearly 300ºF. The crankcase read about 100ºF cooler.

I'm used to water-cooled engines running about 200ºF, so it makes me uneasy seeing such high temperatures on an air-cooled engine even though it's normal.
    2019 Honda Grom 125 (MSX125), 2019 Honda PCX150, 2014 Interceptor (VFR800F)

is pew pew pew

Member #
    I maxed out at 340F on my way home today.

This was uphill at WOT.

AFR was a steady 12.5

Stock bore with exhaust and intake.

Seems a little high...

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

is dialing in the bike for my
    wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    Just installed a Koso temp gauge.

Living in Canada, I'm used to weather and air temperature readings in Celsius. But the bulk of engine/oil temp references are in Fahrenheit... I need to figure out which scale to use for the gauge.

2015 OG Grom in Yellow - AODRacing loop exhaust, ContiScoot tires, EBC HH front pads, RideItMoto levers, Renthal kevlar grips, Road low bars, CJR ECU, TB cam, Mtake, Outerwears, short shift linkage, TST sliders, Aliexpress tail tidy, Aliexpress axle sliders

Pending - Temp gauge, oil cooler, CoreMoto braided lines, high mount exhaust, rearsets and GP shift conversion

is Living the Dream

Member #
    I'm seeing 220F on cylinder 185-200F on the head and 169-200F on the oil depending what RPM I'm riding at or if I'm stuck at a long ass stop light and this is a 181-4v BBK kit engine with all the go fast options.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links