Cylinder Head Temperature -- How Hot Should It Be, Anyway? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Cylinder Head Temperature -- How Hot Should It Be, Anyway?

This is a discussion on Cylinder Head Temperature -- How Hot Should It Be, Anyway? within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Originally Posted by Paultergeist It uses the stock sensor......the Koso temperature gauge comes with a wiring harness which connects into the stock wiring. The sensor ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Cylinder Head Temperature -- How Hot Should It Be, Anyway?

is smaller the cc, bigger the pp.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    It uses the stock sensor......the Koso temperature gauge comes with a wiring harness which connects into the stock wiring. The sensor used IS the STOCK sensor already in place on the lower left-side of the cylinder. I assumed that this was a "cylinder temperature" sensor, but someone else suggested that this is actually the oil temperature.
    You're going to get both sides of the argument. Unfortunately, it's not an accurate reading for either oil or head temps. It DOES get oil temps from the passage inside, but you're also getting a ton of residual heat from being so close to the head. If you were to rely on it like you would a head temp sensor, you'll burn up the oil before average head temps show any issue. In either case, using the stock sensor location, you're going to get really skewed temperature readings.

For it to be an accurate oil temp sensor, the sensor should really be located in or around the sump of the oil. For most accurate head temps, put the sensor beneath the spark plug.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Farkas,

Thank you for the additional information. I agree that the numbers provided by the LCD read-out don't quite make sense (based on what I have now read about engine operating temperatures). I believe the engine itself is operating normally.

I am probably being overly-cautious, given that this bike is pretty close to stock, but at least I can get a sense of the operating temperature of the engine. I may then have a sense of comparison if I add an oil-cooler.

Thanks again.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by chaddington View Post
    I only know because I made the same error. You want to keep it under 240F.
    And......you were right. I just drove to work with the gauge set to "t-2." The displayed temperatures were considerably lower than yesterday. I found that it took the bike a long time to warm-up; the highest temperature displayed was 205 F; but it took over 30 minutes of hard riding to see that number displayed. I thought this was weird......would the temps keep on increasing if I kept on riding? I do not think that reading shown is very accurate -- I am mainly going to use this gauge as a point of comparison.......oil-cooler is in my future.

Thanks again.
    chaddington likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    as mentioned, in a way, it does combine overall head/oil temps as it's the oil return passage from the head to the case. in theory, the oil would be near it's hottest temp at this point.

what i did, take measurements at idle, right after a casual ride, right after a hard ride and right after a hard ride with elevation at various points at the head and cylinder. take note of the difference to the koso gauge and you'll have a general idea when you are riding. if you have access to a thermal camera, that is the easiest way to do it as you'll see an overall picture and can pinpoint the hot spots.

regarding temps, the exhaust is the hottest on the head while the right side of the cylinder is the hottest on the jug.
    Paultergeist likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    And......you were right. I just drove to work with the gauge set to "t-2." The displayed temperatures were considerably lower than yesterday. I found that it took the bike a long time to warm-up; the highest temperature displayed was 205 F; but it took over 30 minutes of hard riding to see that number displayed. I thought this was weird......would the temps keep on increasing if I kept on riding? I do not think that reading shown is very accurate -- I am mainly going to use this gauge as a point of comparison.......oil-cooler is in my future.

Thanks again.
    Glad to hear it! 205 after hard riding sounds about right. I top out about 215 with a 170 kit and oil cooler except on the hottest of days when I'm stopping frequently.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Thanks for the continued support and feedback. I think the bike is running normally, but that engine is giving off some heat. I plan on switching to fully synthetic oil ( most likely Amsoil metric) this weekend -- seems like that oil is well-regarded for hot engines. I also see an external oil cooler in my not-too-distant future (gotta choose an air filter intake first to make the space on the frame). Hopefully, those measures will help keep heat build-up in check.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Are you running a big bore or other set-up that would require a cooler? From what you've described here, everything is working as expected and a cooler is not necessary.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    The bike is pretty close to stock -- the only engine mod thus far is the Kitaco clutch cover -- done mainly because I like the idea of the replaceable oil filter (and it provides ports for an external oil-cooler). Many would argue that I really don't NEED an oil cooler.....and they would be correct. For my own peace of mind, however, I LIKE the idea of having an oil cooler. I tend to ride on some roads which are 45-55 MPH posted -- this means the bike is running WOT for extended periods of time; I live in San Diego County, and sometimes ride in areas where daytime temperatures can hit triple-digits, plus I am full-sized adult (185 pound-ish).......all of this makes for that engine working pretty dang hard. I would thus like to give it a little extra *love* by adding an oil-cooler, and I really don't see much of a down-side to the addition.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Cool. Definitely not necessary, but it won't hurt anything. Make sure you get a larger capacity oil pump as well.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by chaddington View Post
    Cool. Definitely not necessary, but it won't hurt anything. Make sure you get a larger capacity oil pump as well.
    Thanks. I forgot to mention that I already put in the Takegawa higher-flow oil pump when I installed he clutch cover, so I should be good-to-go on this.
    chaddington likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links