Question Regarding "Screeching Noise" - High Speeds
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Question Regarding "Screeching Noise" - High Speeds within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Hello all! I have a 2015 Grom with about 1800 miles. For the past 200 miles or so, when I am in 4th gear at ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Question Regarding "Screeching Noise" - High Speeds

This user has no status.

Member #

Hello all! I have a 2015 Grom with about 1800 miles. For the past 200 miles or so, when I am in 4th gear at around 55 mph (typically WOT), I hear a high pitched "screeching" noise. It almost sounds like wind through my helmet but it is coming from the bike. If I loosen up on the throttle, it changes pitch and comes to a stop. I recently adjusted the chain thinking it might be too loose but the sound hasn't stopped. Any thoughts?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Could be the squealer on your brake pads. But with that low of miles brakes should still be good. I'm just guessing here. Could also be that the cam bearings is not getting enough oil at WOT again just a guess. Let us know what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tortie View Post
    Hello all! I have a 2015 Grom with about 1800 miles. For the past 200 miles or so, when I am in 4th gear at around 55 mph (typically WOT), I hear a high pitched "screeching" noise. It almost sounds like wind through my helmet but it is coming from the bike. If I loosen up on the throttle, it changes pitch and comes to a stop. I recently adjusted the chain thinking it might be too loose but the sound hasn't stopped. Any thoughts?
    When adj drive chain slack make sure you have at lease 1/2 slack/play when pressing the chain from the center of the length of the chain when the grom is on the ground, also when the rear wheel is up in the air rotate the tire and check the alignment of the rear sprocket teeth to the center of the chain. By rotating the tire you can see if the sprocket teeth is off center by looking at the sprocket/chain.

make sure your chain is cleaned often and also use chain lube.

Good luck

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #

Thank you both for your quick replies! The noise occurs without use of the brakes (and typically only in 4th) but I will check. Now that you both mentioned it (cam bearings or chain), it sounds like something could use oiling/lube. I will clean/lube the chain again and see if that helps. It's probably something as simple as that!

This user has no status.

Member #
    That screeching noise is actually relatively common. no one to date has figured out exactly what does it since nothing ever seems to break from it. My guess is the starter one way sprag clutch but that's all it is, a guess.
    m in sc likes this.

is This user has a status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox85 View Post
    That screeching noise is actually relatively common. no one to date has figured out exactly what does it since nothing ever seems to break from it. My guess is the starter one way sprag clutch but that's all it is, a guess.
    I think I found the cause to the screech!

I had this a few months back, turned out to be the clutch collar. Part number is below. The stock collar had some sort of film over it, I think the noise was from the collar not getting lubricated enough when spinning on the clutch guide. The part is only a couple bucks too, and since I replaced it I've gone WOT for miles and no noise!

22116-KPG-T00 COLLAR, CLUTCH (OUTER)
    Ridem32 and S1930 like this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    #7 is the part

This user has no status.

Member #

This user has no status.

Member #
    Clutch collar. Huh. Makes sense. Glad to hear it's common (that makes me feel a lot better). Thank you for the replies! I love this forum. I will look into it.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I know this thread is old but has anyone else confirmed that the noise stopped after replacing that collar? because mine is doing it and it is driving me absolutely nuts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links