Retarding the timing by moving the pickup?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Retarding the timing by moving the pickup? within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Alright all hear me out. Back in my day of pit bikes and honda horizontal carbed motors, you could get a couple of degrees of ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Retarding the timing by moving the pickup?

This user has no status.

Member #

Alright all hear me out.

Back in my day of pit bikes and honda horizontal carbed motors, you could get a couple of degrees of advance by moving the CDI pickup forward (opposite) on the rotation of the flywheel.

On my grom i would like to RETARD timing a couple degrees to see if it helps pinging issue i get under a small window of load / rpm. From what i can tell if there is room i could move the pickup a bit with the rotation to retard the timing a bit. Do yall think that would work?

assuming a 6in diameter flywheel (which i think is probably too big) an 1/8th of an inch move of the pickup would net 2.3* of timing change. So it might very be possible to do it.

I do have to take off my stator cover to replace my cam chain tensioner so when im in there i will see if its going to be possible to move the pickup. What i really wanna know is if its going to change the ignition timing at all.

This user has no status.

Member #
    It should... ha I have moved the pickup on my old crf50 engines too. I've not looked closely at the pickup on the Grom to see if it can be moved easily. Keep in mind it will also affect the timing of the fuel injection.

is bTuUsNaAnSuUtB

Member #
    Idk if it makes a difference but note the Groms fly doesn't have one big pickup, it has multiple small ones.. do the other marks provide information to the ecu for other things? Does it determine when the injector fires? If so then by regarding the pickup you would essentially retard the injector timing?

icould be way off, just thinking out loud since the only angle position sensor the engine has is the ignition pickup

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is Never thought stock bore could
    be so good

Member #
    From Texas. Lived in Southern California for a bit. Currently in Central Florida.
    Odometer
    ^^ TIL

So, nd4spbh, what range do your hear the pinging, out of curiosity?
    Takegawa 12.5:1 Piston
    Ported Head w/ TB valves
    2" Intake w/UNI filter
    DanMoto conical exhaust (no kidding)

This user has no status.

Member #
    According to Finbro, there ecu is already about 3 degrees retarded timing from what stock would be. You really still have knock?

is gearing up for winter

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Strokd_GE View Post
    Idk if it makes a difference but note the Groms fly doesn't have one big pickup, it has multiple small ones.. do the other marks provide information to the ecu for other things? Does it determine when the injector fires? If so then by regarding the pickup you would essentially retard the injector timing?

icould be way off, just thinking out loud since the only angle position sensor the engine has is the ignition pickup
    ^^^

Being EFI its a little diffrent than mag pickups/whatever. While I cant speak for the grom, as I have never examined it closely... Going off of Kohler EFI engines, Their blower/flywheel was toothed, and used a missing tooth (and hall sensor) to determine TDC (i think). Additionally if it was a 2 cylinder, could tell which stroke it was on when coupled with a MAP sensor.
    Im making a metal idler gear setup, with some hardware coming in today, so maybe ill pull the cover off early and take a look at the flywheel to see how it actually is.

But basically, since its EFI, rotating it probably wont work, unless you were to move rotate the entire flywheel.
    estallings15 likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    the grom has the same sensor as like a CRF50 but yes it does have some extra little spots on the flywheel for more sensing of whatever.

But yes that would affect injector timing as well hmmmmmm.

It pings (or possibly piston slap) around 7k rpms under high load (going up a hill in 3rd or 4th) at 90+% throttle. Reason why i think its pinging is if i flip my cold start switch which alters injector opening it goes away.

It does not ping if i am on flat ground running through the rpms / gears.

Well when i get the stator off to do my cam chain tensioner ill have a look and see if its possible to move the pickup.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
    the grom has the same sensor as like a CRF50 but yes it does have some extra little spots on the flywheel for more sensing of whatever.

But yes that would affect injector timing as well hmmmmmm.

It pings (or possibly piston slap) around 7k rpms under high load (going up a hill in 3rd or 4th) at 90+% throttle. Reason why i think its pinging is if i flip my cold start switch which alters injector opening it goes away.

It does not ping if i am on flat ground running through the rpms / gears.

Well when i get the stator off to do my cam chain tensioner ill have a look and see if its possible to move the pickup.
    Do you have an AFR gauge on it? Maybe it is going lean.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by keit29 View Post
    Do you have an AFR gauge on it? Maybe it is going lean.

ehhh...too cheap for one haha.

is gearing up for winter

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
    ehhh...too cheap for one haha.
    dmm on the O2 sensor wire!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links