Retarding the timing by moving the pickup? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Retarding the timing by moving the pickup?

This is a discussion on Retarding the timing by moving the pickup? within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Originally Posted by Mike_H You say 9 but there are two types of 9s boss. I run a non-projected tip because of this exact scenario ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Retarding the timing by moving the pickup?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_H View Post
    You say 9 but there are two types of 9s boss. I run a non-projected tip because of this exact scenario and my aggressive timing curves. Projected tips will
    Act is flame throwers and duplicate this scenario more times than not. CR9E is my current plug in a stock bore setup and many degrees advanced timing. I do watch the plug often and replace it frequently in heavy weather swings here in TX and time my bike accordingly. Colder drier air gets a few degrees retard to keep the piston happy.
    Thats the low reach spark plug yes? Dont you have issues then with exposed threads of the head?

is Never thought stock bore could
    be so good

Member #
    From Texas. Lived in Southern California for a bit. Currently in Central Florida.
    Odometer
    No he's talking about the other iridium plug. The one that's actually the right length. I use that plug with advanced timing without issue.

Edit: CR9EIX
    Last edited by estallings15; 12-09-2016 at 12:55 PM.
    Takegawa 12.5:1 Piston
    Ported Head w/ TB valves
    2" Intake w/UNI filter
    DanMoto conical exhaust (no kidding)

This user has no status.

Member #
    CR9EIX and CR9E are the same plugs. One is iridium, one is copper. Both are non projected tip. CPR9E and EIX would be the projected tip and let's face it...these are air cooled engines. Extracting heat from the chamber is what makes power. That's the plugs biggest job outside of providing spark which is a given. I don't use iridium plugs at all. They're not good indicators of what's going on inside the chamber because iridium will show signs that will send you chasing your tail when reading them. I always use cooper plugs for that reason. And if it's a NA application I may stick one in for long term use. Copper
    Plugs are $2 and yield the best results for my tuning ability.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    excuse the ignorance but what is the difference between the projected tip and non projected tip? Pics would be great!

FYI, i am running a CPR9EA-9 in my grom currently. Stock is CPR6EA-9

This user has no status.

Member #
    If you look at the plug from the side, you can see lots more porcelain/inner electrode length on the projected tip plug. The inner/outer electrode protrudes further out into the combustion chamber.
    estallings15 likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Is this true spark knock? The plug will show signs of detonation/pre-ignition for sure if thats the case. Has any octane booster been dumped in the gas tank to see if it is a fuel octane issue?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Honestly not sure. Ill pull the plug and take a look. Grom ran like a god damn champ tonight in the cold evening around town.

I was honestly seeing if it was feesable to retard the timing via the pickup... but after doing the cam chain tensioner last night.... its pretty much not possible to slide the pickup forward or back in rotation due to how the casing is done on it and the side case.

This user has no status.

Member #
    The air when cold is much more dense and dryer. If the bike is richer in the summertime and timing is kept the same...you can burn a piston up. I see it all the time in the automotive world when water grains aka humidity dries up and folks forget to retard the timing a few degrees. More humid air can benefit from increased timing to burn similar mixtures.

This user has no status.

Member #
    And for gods sake please put a fresh plug in the bike and make a long 4th gear pull on it before pulling it out. Idle time Will
    Skew the results we are trying to look for in the top ring of the thread face.
    Last edited by Mike_H; 12-12-2016 at 04:24 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links