Stock shock disassembled pics?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Stock shock disassembled pics? within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Does anyone have any pics of the stock shock disassembled? (Spring taken off of the shock body?) Preferably im trying to see how the connection ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By x-reaper
  • 1 Post By a_morti

Thread: Stock shock disassembled pics?

This user has no status.

Member #

Does anyone have any pics of the stock shock disassembled? (Spring taken off of the shock body?)

Preferably im trying to see how the connection of the top eye is to the actual shock rod, is it welded on or does it thread on?

This user has no status.

Member #
    No one?!?!? someone has to of taken the stock shock apart!

is smaller the cc, bigger the pp.

Member #
    From what I was reading, you have to compress the spring and the top hat is slotted to be removed from the shock rod. I couldn't find any pictures of the stock shock disassembled for myself, though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Stock shock disassembled pics?-imageuploadedbyhondagrom.net1469637827.274610.jpg
    This is the best I have- the top eye itself is welded, but you may be able to unthread it from the rod. I believe the shock itself is sealed from the factory, so out of curiosity- why? Were you looking to add to the overall length or preload the spring with a spacer?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox85 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByHondaGrom.net1469637827.274610.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	29401
    This is the best I have- the top eye itself is welded, but you may be able to unthread it from the rod. I believe the shock itself is sealed from the factory, so out of curiosity- why? Were you looking to add to the overall length or preload the spring with a spacer?
    My guess is adding spacer for pre-load.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Both. A lil extra length for some extra ride height for my dual sport grom. And a smidge more preload to help with extra weight. I know the spring can be removed easy just didn't know how the rod is attached to the top eyelet.

This user has no status.

Member #
    The stock spring is hard as hell, imho, and adding preload will make it even crazy harder. And the stock absorber valving is very poor, this is the OE Honda setup, cheap but feels sporty. I bought YSS shock for $82 in Thailand and its night and day difference from stock. Now it doesn't try to kick me and let me fly over the handlebar, now I just open full throttle on any obstacles ahead and it covers them pretty smooth and firm. Same shock is selling $150-200 is US and EU, I can recommend to buy it in thailand, their prices for locals are way different, shops like KD project racing in Bangkok, they have tons of grom parts for right prices and they do ship worldwide.

You could try to compress the spring, block the 22mm nut under the top eye part with a wrench, and using a think screwdriver thru the topeye unscrew the top part from the shock. Like here : Tear it up, fix it, repeat: CT70 Rear shock rebuild May be these Honda shocks construction is the same.
    MV Agusta F3 800 likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    3200km
    Quote Originally Posted by x-reaper View Post
    The stock spring is hard as hell, imho, and adding preload will make it even crazy harder. And the stock absorber valving is very poor, this is the OE Honda setup, cheap but feels sporty. I bought YSS shock for $82 in Thailand and its night and day difference from stock. Now it doesn't try to kick me and let me fly over the handlebar, now I just open full throttle on any obstacles ahead and it covers them pretty smooth and firm. Same shock is selling $150-200 is US and EU, I can recommend to buy it in thailand, their prices for locals are way different, shops like KD project racing in Bangkok, they have tons of grom parts for right prices and they do ship worldwide.

You could try to compress the spring, block the 22mm nut under the top eye part with a wrench, and using a think screwdriver thru the topeye unscrew the top part from the shock. Like here : Tear it up, fix it, repeat: CT70 Rear shock rebuild May be these Honda shocks construction is the same.
    I'm with this guy.

Stock shock is oversprung and underdamped, the YSS gas bottle shock is better in every way, plus it's a little longer like you wanted and has preload adjust.

I know you love a project, but I believe the stock shock is just too crappy to be worth the effort.
    MV Agusta F3 800 likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Anyone have a link to the yss shock at a good price?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
    Anyone have a link to the yss shock at a good price?
    I bought the YSS DTG for under $100 if I remember correctly off SteadGarage's website.

Sponsored Links