How to: ND4's fork upgrade mod.... 15 bucks, worlds better! - Page 36
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

How to: ND4's fork upgrade mod.... 15 bucks, worlds better!

This is a discussion on How to: ND4's fork upgrade mod.... 15 bucks, worlds better! within the Grom How-To's and Guides forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Originally Posted by ia02 I saw that! Much appreciated. The mechanics of it make sense. So why do you think it ends up "firmer? feeling? ...

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: How to: ND4's fork upgrade mod.... 15 bucks, worlds better!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ia02 View Post
    I saw that! Much appreciated. The mechanics of it make sense.

So why do you think it ends up "firmer? feeling? If it's not preload or spring rate, is it additional compression dampening being caused by the longer stroke?
    Firmer because you are compressing the main spring more at the end of the stroke + the addition of thicker oil to make the shim stack create more dampening.

Similar in concept to preload, but in this form, its actually more proper because like stated, you increase fork travel (on the OG grom forks) by 25% which puts the stock sag with a normal 150-160lb rider in a more adequate zone (the fork sags just as much but you have another inch of travel before bottoming out).

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
    Firmer because you are compressing the main spring more at the end of the stroke + the addition of thicker oil to make the shim stack create more dampening.

Similar in concept to preload, but in this form, its actually more proper because like stated, you increase fork travel (on the OG grom forks) by 25% which puts the stock sag with a normal 150-160lb rider in a more adequate zone (the fork sags just as much but you have another inch of travel before bottoming out).
    I see. The spring is "firmer" feeling at the bottom of the stroke because we hit the bump stop and inch of travel later. The stock setup bottoms out on the bump stop way before the spring can provide that support, especially for a heavy rider. This makes way more sense.

With all this in mind I do think this is worth trying to cobble together something more legit than the current proposed solution for the SF grom. I am going to see what I can come up with.

THANK YOU for the explanation.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ia02 View Post
    I see. The spring is "firmer" feeling at the bottom of the stroke because we hit the bump stop and inch of travel later. The stock setup bottoms out on the bump stop way before the spring can provide that support, especially for a heavy rider. This makes way more sense.

With all this in mind I do think this is worth trying to cobble together something more legit than the current proposed solution for the SF grom. I am going to see what I can come up with.

THANK YOU for the explanation.
    No problems! glad my explanation helped!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.
    Member #
    Just got a e-mail to come check out your ND4 mod because i just did one for the Z125 and posted it on our forum.
    I read all 36 pages and now know what I'm in for ... Lol
    Nice thinkin man ...

This user has no status.

Member #
    Hello Do you know if this mod will work on the 2019 groms?

is Monkey water skiing, so much
    rain here!
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by superdappa View Post
    Hello Do you know if this mod will work on the 2019 groms?
    Please read the very first post in this thread. If you do a search there is a thread for the second generation Grom.
    2014 Black Grom
    2019 Red Monkey

is MKEthunderknuckle

Member #
    @nd4spdbh thanks for this tutorial. Just did this mod on my 15 OG, and it made a nice improvement to both ride quality and handling. I like how itís a bit less twitchy with the added trail.

I didnít change the fork oil and itís still plenty firm for me. On a side note, itís quite spectacular the amount of stiction in these forks. LOL It felt like it got worse after this mod, but thatís probably because I have a lot more usable stroke and Iím no longer sagged through 60% of it.

Quick tip for anyone attempting this: I suspended the front by hanging from the lower triples until the tire was barely above the floor. Once the 36mm fork caps are completely loose, I lifted the front wheel slightly (by hand) and slid a 2x4 under the tire. This exposed just enough of the damper rod out of the top of the forks to get some vice grips on for loosening the screws. Do what you need to create the new stack up top, retorque the little screws, and carefully remove 2x4 and lower the wheel back down to thread fork caps back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    50-50 likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by BUCKNUT View Post
    Please read the very first post in this thread. If you do a search there is a thread for the second generation Grom.
    Which one are you talking about? I've seen a couple of different ones.

is MKEthunderknuckle

Member #

How to: ND4's fork upgrade mod.... 15 bucks, worlds better!

Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    Which one are you talking about? I've seen a couple of different ones.
    I think bucknutís reply was in response to the inquiry from @superdappa in regards to this mod on 2019 models.

The first post in this thread states:

Quote Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
    NOTE: This does not work on the 2nd gen groms as they have different fork caps.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by MKE GROMLIN View Post
    I think bucknutís reply was in response to the inquiry from @superdappa in regards to this mod on 2019 models.

The first post in this thread states:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Which SF mod was he talking about? I've seen at least two - changing oil and the other is a preload mod.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36

Sponsored Links