How-To: How to detune and limit
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

How to detune and limit

This is a discussion on How to detune and limit within the Grom How-To's and Guides forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Hello I am new to the Honda Groms and have an odd question. I bought a 2015 grom for my daughters, in Oklahoma children are ...

Thread: How to detune and limit

This user has no status.

Member #

How to detune and limit

Hello I am new to the Honda Groms and have an odd question.

I bought a 2015 grom for my daughters, in Oklahoma children are allowed to get motorcycle license at 14.

I would like to detune it and limit the top RPM until they get comfortable with it. Is it possible to restrict the rpm or throttle stops with an ECU flash or other means?

This is a first bike for my daughters and want them to not have to worry about it unintentionally taking off on them while I am teaching them clutch and gears...

is dialing in the bike for my
    wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    @jonesn may be able to help? He can raise rev limit, so don't see why he couldn't lower...
    2015 OG Grom in Yellow - CJR ECU, TB cam, MNNTHBX Mtake, Outerwears, AODRacing high mount exhaust, FXCNC rearsets with GP shift, Koso temp gauge, TST sliders, ContiScoot tires, EBC HH front pads, RideItMoto levers, Renthal Road low bars and kevlar grips, Aliexpress tail tidy, Aliexpress 'Rizoma' axle sliders,

Pending - oil cooler, CoreMoto braided lines, kepspeed swingarm

is Living the Dream

Member #
    just adjust the throttle cable length so that it will not go full throttle.

The real best bet is to have a teenager go to a motorcycle driving school or even a motorcycle off road school to learn how to use the throttle and brakes. To me the best motorcycles riders I met came from off road mc racing circuit.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    A child can get a motorcycle license at 14 in Oklahoma?

I think you'd be much better off buying a used Honda CRF50 or Honda or Kawasaki 110 to teach them, but that's my opinion.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I think the Grom is a good choice for this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    A child can get a motorcycle license at 14 in Oklahoma?

I think you'd be much better off buying a used Honda CRF50 or Honda or Kawasaki 110 to teach them, but that's my opinion.

My daughter wants to drag race. and if I know her she will be running wide open on my 14r as soon as I let her. I want her to learn to crawl before she tries to fly.

Actually the Grom is a good choice. Both bikes you are posting are strictly for off road use. It is not legal to ride on the street with bikes that do not have at least a head light and tail/brake light. Not sure about signals.

Most mopeds in the 80's had between 3 to 5 horsepower, scooters and groms are about 8 to 10 horsepower. Between its size, HP rating and that it has all lights and is 100% street legal. It is perfect for a 14 year old 130 lbs girl to learn on. Scooters are fine if you like high dollar mopeds that don't require you to learn to shift and clutch. But she needs a real bike that builds the full skill-set for riding a motorcycle.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by starride View Post
    My daughter wants to drag race. and if I know her she will be running wide open on my 14r as soon as I let her. I want her to learn to crawl before she tries to fly.

Actually the Grom is a good choice. Both bikes you are posting are strictly for off road use. It is not legal to ride on the street with bikes that do not have at least a head light and tail/brake light. Not sure about signals.

Most mopeds in the 80's had between 3 to 5 horsepower, scooters and groms are about 8 to 10 horsepower. Between its size, HP rating and that it has all lights and is 100% street legal. It is perfect for a 14 year old 130 lbs girl to learn on. Scooters are fine if you like high dollar mopeds that don't require you to learn to shift and clutch. But she needs a real bike that builds the full skill-set for riding a motorcycle.
    It's better to learn on dirt. Nobody will convince me otherwise.

Outside of that, how is it legal for her to ride on the street?

is dialing in the bike for my
    wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    It's better to learn on dirt. Nobody will convince me otherwise.

Outside of that, how is it legal for her to ride on the street?
    In California, it was 15 iirc, maybe 15 1/2...

Looks like you need to be accompanied initially at least in OK.
    2015 OG Grom in Yellow - CJR ECU, TB cam, MNNTHBX Mtake, Outerwears, AODRacing high mount exhaust, FXCNC rearsets with GP shift, Koso temp gauge, TST sliders, ContiScoot tires, EBC HH front pads, RideItMoto levers, Renthal Road low bars and kevlar grips, Aliexpress tail tidy, Aliexpress 'Rizoma' axle sliders,

Pending - oil cooler, CoreMoto braided lines, kepspeed swingarm

Sponsored Links