Tire Mounting Direction?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Tire Mounting Direction?

This is a discussion on Tire Mounting Direction? within the Grom Wheels & Tires forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; I'm in the process of replacing the original tires that came with my Grom with some Michelins I bought. These are the arrows shown on ...

Thread: Tire Mounting Direction?

This user has no status.

Member #

Tire Mounting Direction?

I'm in the process of replacing the original tires that came with my Grom with some Michelins I bought.

These are the arrows shown on the sidewalls on the front and rear tires.

I've already reinstalled the front wheel with the arrow next to the the word "Front" facing the forward direction of the bike but how should I mount the rear tire which only has the one word, "rear", and corresponding arrow as shown in the pic?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tire Mounting Direction?-dfdko45.jpg  
    2019 Honda Grom Gayety Red
    Anodizing Racing “Amazon Special” Exhaust
    Michelin Power Pure Tires
    Neverlandback Stealth Style Mirrors
    Vagabond Motorsports Fender Eliminator and Cargo Rack
    Givi B29 Monoblock Trunk

is gearing up for winter

Member #
    IIRC the arrow is the direction of travel. (well, direction of rotation.) If your arrow is on the top, it should be facing forwards.

For tires that can be used on both front and rear, the front is reversed because its used for braking (pushing the bike backwards-ish) rather than pushing the bike forward.

Why do motorcycle front and rear tires have opposite tread patterns? ? Ramblings of a Singapore Biker Boy
    Last edited by turpinator; 06-10-2019 at 10:35 PM.

is just riding.

Member #
    Odometer
    Nailed it ^^

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is hiding the credit card from
    the Grom!!

Member #
    Odometer
    above posters are correct, arrow dictates the direction of rotation depending on where it is mounted. The reason for the two different arrows on the front is because its designed for both front and rear.

Motorcycle tires experiences different forces at each end, braking on the front and acceleration on the rear. That's why when you see matching tread tires on a bike it looks like one tire was mounted on the rim in the wrong direction, but it is correctly mounted.
    2017 Grom
    Koso 4V GF Ported / Drowsports 181 piston / Takegawa Oil Pump, Cam Chain Tensioner, Crank Support Kit & Catch Can
    Koso 34mm TB GF Ported / DynoJet PCV, WB2 & AFR / GF Manual Cam Chain Adjuster
    Drow Sports CF Intake & Oil Cooler / Hindle Exhaust / OPMID 2 Temp Gauge
    Kitaco Clutch Cover / SMR 6 Disc Clutch & 60% Springs / Chimera Clutch Plate
    RacingBros Adj Fork Kit and Shicane HLR Shock / Vagabond Fender Eliminator
    Seat Concepts

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks for the replies. I wanted to be absolutely sure about how to mount the rear tire before I went ahead because it's bit of a wrestling match to get the buggers on the wheels.
    2019 Honda Grom Gayety Red
    Anodizing Racing “Amazon Special” Exhaust
    Michelin Power Pure Tires
    Neverlandback Stealth Style Mirrors
    Vagabond Motorsports Fender Eliminator and Cargo Rack
    Givi B29 Monoblock Trunk

is hiding the credit card from
    the Grom!!

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine1.0 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I wanted to be absolutely sure about how to mount the rear tire before I went ahead because it's bit of a wrestling match to get the buggers on the wheels.
    Yeah for some reason these 12" wheels have been the biggest PITA for me as well.
    2017 Grom
    Koso 4V GF Ported / Drowsports 181 piston / Takegawa Oil Pump, Cam Chain Tensioner, Crank Support Kit & Catch Can
    Koso 34mm TB GF Ported / DynoJet PCV, WB2 & AFR / GF Manual Cam Chain Adjuster
    Drow Sports CF Intake & Oil Cooler / Hindle Exhaust / OPMID 2 Temp Gauge
    Kitaco Clutch Cover / SMR 6 Disc Clutch & 60% Springs / Chimera Clutch Plate
    RacingBros Adj Fork Kit and Shicane HLR Shock / Vagabond Fender Eliminator
    Seat Concepts

Sponsored Links