Kenda KD1 Kwik Tire Inquiry
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Kenda KD1 Kwik Tire Inquiry within the Grom Wheels & Tires forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; Who has moved on from the Michelin PP tires to the Kenda KD1 tires? I am very tempted of doing the same (OEM tire sizes). ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Kenda KD1 Kwik Tire Inquiry

This user has no status.

Member #

Who has moved on from the Michelin PP tires to the Kenda KD1 tires? I am very tempted of doing the same (OEM tire sizes). Would like to read of who has, glad to have made the switch, or not, and or any other opinions.

<edit clarification> I have heard these are similar to the Dunlop TT93's, which are a well known and used to be preferred race tire on 12" wheels, prior to PMT's and Mitas hitting the race scene. I'm looking for a stickier (better grip) tire, than what the PP's offer for back road twisty roads.
    Last edited by Manimal; 01-02-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    2014 Grom (Red)

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Me myself for the price I like the Shinko SR007 which I bought 140/70-12 for the replacement of my Michelin rear tires, rated at 93mph, haven't bought the front ones yet since I was going to mix match it with the michelin front tire.

This user has no status.

Member #
    i'm currently running the kwik's. i've only used them on the street/canyons so far so i can't make a fair comparison to the the tt93's and mc35's that i've ran on the street/track. however, for the street, they are definitely a good tire and a step above the pp's. they look to have better longevity than than the tt93 and mc35. however, i may give the edge to the mc35 for the better street tire. still looking forward to trying the kwiks on the track.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    is Wishing I was riding....

Member #
    The Kwik is certainly a stickier, more performance reliable tire than the Michelin PP. The Michelin is a great street tire, but pales when compared to several others when pushed hard.
    Top Shelf parts & accessories WWW.MNNTHBX.COM

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Rising
    Got my KD1s in the other day but haven't mounted them up yet - will use it on track and street - replacing TT92s

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MNNTHBX View Post
    The Kwik is certainly a stickier, more performance reliable tire than the Michelin PP. The Michelin is a great street tire, but pales when compared to several others when pushed hard.
    Thanks for the reply. Yup, found out the PP's aren't quite cut out for my riding style = rear let go with no warning, and lowsided
    2014 Grom (Red)

This user has no status.

Member #
    On my third set and luv them have them on my 150r also. Been looking for reviews on this tire with no luck

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

is smaller the cc, bigger the pp.

Member #
    Since I’m local to the awesome folks at Kenda Tires USA, they were nice enough to hook me up with a few sets of tires looking for feedback in return, and I wanted to share what I’ve learned.

Kenda Kwicks are a semi-soft compound which, right away, was a difference from the soft/medium compound I’ve been used to with Dunlops. They’re cheaper by a long shot, lighter, and offered in many more sizes than the TT93s. On the track they are comparable in grip to the Dunlops, which have been the go-to tire for many 12” mini racers for a decade or more. I will say, the Kendas are more predictable at the limit before they slide. My preferred sizes are 100/90 front and 120/80 rear to keep the same bike geometry to stock sizes. I personally didn’t care for the 130/70 tire profile on the rear.

Because of the softer compound the longevity is shorter, but I’m working with the Kenda Director of Powersports in hopes to produce a Medium compound for the warmer climates and heavier riders. Power Pures will be a much better tire suited for touring, if that's what you're looking for.

Consider me sold on Kendas- They’re workin hard to bring us what we want at a fraction of the cost of their competitors.
    BUCKNUT, MNNTHBX, mikochu and 5 others like this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks for the added input, guys!

To date, I had recently mounted a set of the KK KD1's, in the stock tire size (120 - F, 130 -R) on my Grom. Due to a much colder and wet winter season, and lack of free time, I have not had the chance to break in the tires, or practice some lot drills. I will certainly post an update when that happens.

To note, I am very familiar with Dunlop TT's. I have used them for both street and mini-moto racing, since the early 90's. Up until the last 6 years (here in Cali), they were the preferred race tires for 12" wheels.
    Last edited by Manimal; 02-13-2019 at 10:50 AM.
    2014 Grom (Red)

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Rising
    Quote Originally Posted by farkas View Post
    Since I’m local to the awesome folks at Kenda Tires USA, they were nice enough to hook me up with a few sets of tires looking for feedback in return, and I wanted to share what I’ve learned.

Consider me sold on Kendas- They’re workin hard to bring us what we want at a fraction of the cost of their competitors.
    Since you are local, can you get a real set of specs for their line up. Actual widths and OD in mm. Their spec listing for sizing is only to the nearest inch which isn't accurate enough really for setup.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links