Chain adjusting and alignment
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Chain adjusting and alignment within the Honda MSX125 UK forums, part of the Honda MSX125 Forums category; Hello all, I finally adjusted my chain after a lot of frustration. So I found that I had the chain slack and the alignment pretty ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CiscoSanJose

Thread: Chain adjusting and alignment

This user has no status.

Member #

Hello all,

I finally adjusted my chain after a lot of frustration. So I found that I had the chain slack and the alignment pretty much perfect, however when I tried to fully tighten the rear axel the right side chain adjuster markings would move and completely misalign my wheel. I finally figured out that in order to prevent this you must push your knee against the bike whilst tightening the axel to prevent it moving backwards and becoming misaligned . I am curious to see if anyone else had this problem or whether it's just me? Bear in mind this was my first time adjusting it myself.

is fiddling with RZ350's now!

Member #
    Odometer
    Put a 10mm wrench between the chain & rear sprocket at the top. Rotate backwards. This tightens up the chain and moves it forward. Tighten nut.

Easy peasy...
    2018 Grom
    Koso 170 4V/34mm TB/Koso injector/ DIY intake/ aRacer Mini5 + AF1 + DG1
    Koso pump & chain tensioner/ Stock clutch ring / 60% stiffer springs
    Takegawa Crank Support Bearing / Takegawa Catch Can / Kitaco Clutch cover
    Clear cam sprocket cover/ Egay oil Cooler
    Ohlins F&R / Hindle exhaust w DB killer / Galfer brake line w EBC HH Pads
    Pro Taper grips, G2 throttle tube / Gromfatherz axle spacers
    Kepspeed alum. swingarm / Bar end mirror, RAM mount, USB Port
    Seat Concepts / Opmid V2

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Check out my old posting on how to torque down your rear axle after you do your chain slack adjustment.

Hint use the left side axle bolt to torque down the axle to 40-44ft/lbs, if you try to torque down using the right side which is the nut side the axle will creep forward throwing your alignment off, after doing that re-check your alignment lines to make sure both sides are on the same line than tighten the 12 nut to the plate and hold the 12mm nut while torquing down the 10mm nut, that's it. you might want to put some type of blue lockite on the tips of the expose thread or something to catch the 10-12mm nut if they come loose due to vibration. Nothing like losing your nuts when riding.
    BuenosNoches likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is Gromtrulescent

Member #
    Odometer
    Just lost my 10mm yesterday on the right side.
    I have been able to do a lot of the work on my Grom by myself without a ton of experience...but this rear wheel alignment and chain tension has me flustered at a whole new level.

From 1 day to the next my bike started shaking/wobbling ever so slightly..but enough that i noticed. This coming after a new chain, and maybe 1000 miles on the new chain with no complaints, no more weird pulling from overstretched chain etc...
    Thought i had this issue fixed until after 2 days of riding i couldn't take it anymore...whipped out the sockets and wrenches and proceeded to eff up my bike more apparently.

1st attempt- Tried to do a little micro-adjustment with the tension-er screws on back ends of the swing-arm...eh, result = no change - smallest degree of improvement.

2nd try- fully loosened axle, full re-adjustment...or so i thought. result = even worse than before

3rd try- eye-balled it, knee against the tire to keep it in place. result = right side of axle moved backwards somehow...10mm nut loosened and fell off...very noticeable wobbliness and i could also feel the miss-alignment in the chain through my pegs...coasting to a stop with clutch in I can feel the chain wrapping around the front sprocket, and the tight/loose/tight grind of the chain

I am so frustrated with my rear axle and alignment and chain tension I cant take it anymore.
    I thought I was a decent enough mechanic at this point to fix such a simple aspect of my Grom's maintenance, but again, like back in High school when i thought the pretty girl was flirting with me...I am wrong

I have watched many youtube videos, and they are all very good at explaining the process. But every time i have tried to adjust my rear axle/chain (with the exception of the time i replaced the chain entirely) it never seems to be perfectly aligned and I end up with a rougher ride than I expect. I want to believe its fixable, and that some day I will pull out onto that asphalt playground, and get that smooth as silk feeling as I weave back and forth, line to line...but alas it has not happened yet.

I have contemplated splurging on a new rear swingarm that has easier to use chain tension-ers

Any suggestions?

is Gromtrulescent

Member #
    Odometer
    Realizing there are many posts about this now...I will do more research and see if any of those suggestions over the past 5 years can help me

is between rain storms :-)

Member #
    Odometer
    The counter shaft/drive sprocket can get dry, have you tried lubricating the small drive sprocket where it sits on the counter shaft splines?
    2018 Matte Gray Metallic
    Koso TT Mirrors - Carbon
    Vagabond Motorsports Fender Eliminator
    JT 35t Rear Sprocket
    RK 420 Gold Chain

is between rain storms :-)

Member #
    Odometer
    How did you make out, have you found the problem?

I just changed rear sprocket and chain today, no issues, stock 15t drive to a 35t rear.

Was thinking about your post while I was changing over. Are your drive sprockets all stock? Are the spacers seated at the rear wheel?

Lets us know :-)

Ride safe
    2018 Matte Gray Metallic
    Koso TT Mirrors - Carbon
    Vagabond Motorsports Fender Eliminator
    JT 35t Rear Sprocket
    RK 420 Gold Chain

Sponsored Links