Nor Cal / Bay Area - Page 41
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Nor Cal / Bay Area

This is a discussion on Nor Cal / Bay Area within the West / West Coast Grom Owners forums, part of the Honda Grom Regional Forums category; wtf i know the guy in the hat holding the beer looking @ the camera he doesnt have a mini size bike lol please bump ...

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Nor Cal / Bay Area

is bacon bacon bacon!!!!!!!!!
    almost

Member #
    Odometer
    87mpg
    wtf i know the guy in the hat holding the beer looking @ the camera

he doesnt have a mini size bike lol

please bump this when it gets closer, i dont have one of those smart app calendars where I can post up shit weeks ahead and get reminders all the time for it

This user has no status.

Member #
    lol ..... small bike or big bike, it's all good. Typically, all bikes are welcome
    2014 Grom (Red)

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
    Heads Up for those who don't do FB (Bay Area Mini Moto [BAMM], BaG [Bay area Grom], RidEasy - Bay Area Scooter and Mini Bike Community)
    Thanks Manimal!
    Manimal likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Mines Road question -

Manimal/anyone else familiar with riding Mines Rd from Livermore side...I was thinking of riding this, but after a few youtube videos of people riding through there, it seems it's a popular motorcycling route with lots of fast riders zooming through. Since I'm a new rider (150 miles ridden to date), is this road going to have too much fast traffic for me to ride safely on a Grom? I suppose part of that depends on my skill level. I've done twisty backroads around the area already, keeping close to the speed limit +/- 10 mph and feel comfortable at that pace. What are some riding strategies to avoid being run over by the fast bikers, and how do I give them plenty of room to pass without jeopardizing myself? Or maybe I should just stay off there until I have more experience and a bigger bike...thoughts?
    2019 Grom ​w/ABS

This user has no status.

Member #
    Mines is long and twisty, with a mix of divided and single lane sections, tight and wide turns, with various elevation changes. It is a bit wider than Palomares Rd, but narrower than Niles Canyon, and similar to Redwood Rd (in most ways), to put it into perspective. Again, for new riders, like any other twisty road, it can be a bit intimidating.

The Grom (or any small displacement), will seem a bit slow, especially on hill climbs. For the most part, it will keep you within the posted speed limit (45 and 25mph). On the flat straights, or down hills, is where you are able to go a bit faster.

There's a saying, "ride your own ride". In other words, ride at a pace / speed YOU are most comfortable riding and in total control, and listen to your inner gut feeling. If / when you're coming up on a corner, and your gut is telling you to slow down, then slow down! Better to come into any corner slow(er) (regardless of the posted speed), then throttle out at or after the apex (mid corner). As a new rider, keep your speed down - don't go fast! As stated before, new riders have a hard time judging speed entering a corner. Some corners are wide, some are tight, some start out wide, then tighten up in the middle, or towards the end of it (these are the ones that get most riders in trouble, new and experienced). Remember to always look and navigate all the way through every turn.

As for faster riders, don't worry about them. They'll find a way to get around you. However, if / when you wave a rider to pass, ALWAYS! do it on a straight away that has room (good distance) for a safe passing. NEVER before, or within a turn / corner. This goes for drivers too!!!! As for cars, if you find yourself holding up traffic, again, same rule follows, or pull over when there is a safe turn-out to do so. Oh! if you wave a car or bike to pass, move over to the right side of your lane (not the shoulder, but near the white line), to provide them more room for a safe passing. Once faster traffic has passed, then move back into the center of your lane.

Single Lane roads - once again, on a motorcycle (or car), ALWAYS stay right of center (on your side of the road). On any blind corner (especially left handers), you just never know when a car (or motorcycle) is coming around the bend. Staying right of center, if you have to adjust your lane position, it's slight and safer for you. If you stay center, left of center, or cut the corner, that's very dangerous for you, and any on-coming traffic, if any. Just don't do it.

As for "are you ready" to ride this road, or anything similar, it's entirely up to you. If you feel comfortable enough, then I say why not? Just continue to use good judgment. If you feel you are "white knuckling", body is stiff, or the road scares the hell out of you, you can always turn around. Then, return when you feel you are up to the challenge, and or feel more comfortable riding these types of roads. Again, these twisty roads aren't for everyone. Me personally, I fell in love with them from my first experience. OTOH, I grew up driving on roads like these. So it was never a big deal. You just need to be more focused and mindful on a motorcycle vs a car.

Another point to add, as your continually ride this road, or any road, that each time out you'll get more familiar, and gain more experience. Getting familiar, means that there is / are turn(s) that stand out most to you, that you pay a bit more attention to than others, and becomes a bit easier each time you frequent the road, or any road you frequent often.
    For me, Calaveras and Mt Hamilton I ride most than others, due to only being within minutes. From time to time, I do venture out. But, depends on the window of riding time. That maybe is the same for you of the roads that you frequent within your area, or that you like to ride. That said, again, each time out, it gets a bit easier, and more fun, due to being more relaxed, and enjoying your ride - and that's how it should be every time you go for a ride.
    Last edited by Manimal; 06-21-2019 at 07:34 AM.
    EBDan, Djezspin, oldchub and 1 others like this.
    2014 Grom (Red)

This user has no status.

Member #
    Manimal, your post is worthy of being printed out and studied! That is exactly the type of advice I am looking for. I really appreciate the tip on when to/not to wave riders past, and the lane positioning advice. I will take a drive through there first and evaluate after that. Thank you for knowledge and wisdom sharing.

BTW, I just saw that the Amgen Tour of California bike race stage 3 will be running through Mines on May 14th so riders beware...it may be closed down for part of the day:
    https://www.amgentourofcalifornia.co...-3-may-14-2019
    Last edited by EBDan; 05-01-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    Manimal likes this.
    2019 Grom ​w/ABS

This user has no status.

Member #
    awwww, Thanks! There's more to share. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask or PM me. Like I said, I'm only a hill away. If / when time permits, maybe we can catch a ride together, or a group. I have pondered taking my Grom up Mines to The Junction (restaurant - a popular rest stop out in the middle of nowhere), or even Mt Hamilton, for that matter.

Meanwhile, get as much seat time on your local roads, as time permits.

See you on the road, soon

Oh! s for that cycle race, they typically close the road(s) to thru traffic. Thanks for the heads up
    2014 Grom (Red)

This user has no status.

Member #
    I’ll definitely take you up on the group ride at some point over the summer. This month is pretty much quick rides around the block or parking lot practice when I have a bit of free time. tons of family/kid activities on the weekends leading up to end of school year. I’ll check in as things free up. It’ll be cool to have someone to follow/get tips from on those routes.
    2019 Grom ​w/ABS

This user has no status.

Member #
    Posting for those not on FB group (BAMM / Bay Area Mini Moto's), Napa Ride is this Saturday the 22nd @9am

Pic 2. The route we will be taking. 90 miles. Lunch at a popular spot by demand. Lunch announcement the day of the ride

Pic 1. The area in the target parking lot where we will be meeting. You can also park your vehicles here as well.

205 Soscol Ave
    Napa, CA 94559
    United States

Weather looks to be perfect. Not to hot but not to cold. All you need is a light jacket....

Nor Cal / Bay Area-64225852_10215719009950789_1213414409574023168_n.jpg Nor Cal / Bay Area-64774179_10215719009710783_6795771656896774144_n.jpg
    GromMuleCa likes this.
    2014 Grom (Red)

This user has no status.

Member #
    I'm in the middle of San Francisco!

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41

Sponsored Links