Many mods, no difference ??
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Many mods, no difference ?? within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; So i bought in july my 2018 grom . Since buying i have put a zoom exhaust, koso hurricane air filter and airbox mod, EJK ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Many mods, no difference ??

This user has no status.

Member #

So i bought in july my 2018 grom . Since buying i have put a zoom exhaust, koso hurricane air filter and airbox mod, EJK 3.5, tb cam, iridium plug. Valves adjusted .003 and ejk adj to stage 1 mods with cam. Here's the thing, my grom doesn't wanna go over 55 mph. It was kinda like that without all that money put into it. Im 5'7 and weight 180lbs, downhill tuck i get 59 - 60 but its mostly flat out here. Soooo what can be going on. Mecanically its great, timing is on point, valves rechecked and they are good. Same results with stock and iridium plug. Has Amsoil metric 10w30 sintetic oil. I see many vids people hitting 65 like it's nothing without most of my stuff. Im not asking to go over 70 i just want a steady 65.

is fiddling with RZ350's now!

Member #
    Odometer
    Ahhhh, the money pit does not give the desired results. I do not think you are alone with this feeling.

Granted the mods that you have chosen should net out more HP. Should IS the operative word here.

One question though, Do you have a way to monitor your AFR's in real time? Ok I lied, how many miles do you have on your machine and what is the compression PSI?
    2018 Grom
    Koso 170 4V/34mm TB/Koso injector/ DIY intake/ aRacer Mini5 + AF1 + DG1
    Koso pump & chain tensioner/ Stock clutch ring / 60% stiffer springs
    Takegawa Crank Support Bearing / Takegawa Catch Can / Kitaco Clutch cover
    Clear cam sprocket cover/ Egay oil Cooler
    Ohlins F&R / Hindle exhaust w DB killer / Galfer brake line w EBC HH Pads
    Pro Taper grips, G2 throttle tube / Gromfatherz axle spacers
    Kepspeed alum. swingarm / Bar end mirror, RAM mount, USB Port
    Seat Concepts / Opmid V2

is dialing in the bike for my
    wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    The spark plug won't make a discernible difference.

Are you running with the airbox lid off? From what I understand, unless the lid is off, you're not gaining a significant amount of flow. An aftermarket intake will make a bigger difference.

I would suggest you would benefit from a tune in the form of a flashed ECU. Sell the EJK and get a tuned ECU from DHM or CJR. I recently got my cam and flashed ECU from CJR and would recommend them. Since you have cam already, ECU flash alone is only $105... Good bang for the buck.
    2015 OG Grom in Yellow - AODRacing loop exhaust, ContiScoot tires, EBC HH front pads, RideItMoto levers, Renthal kevlar grips, Road low bars, CJR ECU, TB cam, MNNTHBX Mtake, Outerwears, Koso temp gauge, short shift linkage, TST sliders, Aliexpress tail tidy, Aliexpress axle sliders

Pending - oil cooler, CoreMoto braided lines, high mount exhaust, rearsets and GP shift conversion

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Well......I’m 5’10” and probably about 195 # these days. Stock, my Grom hit about 55 MPH on the flats. I then added a tubular intake, after-market exhaust, and a high-end fuel controller (ECU), along with some other minor bits and pieces. I might have gained maybe 2 MPH, but I’m not even sure of that......the bike was much louder — that was for certain.

i ended going back pretty much to stock — at least for right now.

From my reading of it, real power increases come from increases in displacement, increases in compression, and increases in getting fuel/air into and exhaust gases out-of the combustion chamber. Those are not bolt-on mods.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Grom View Post

Are you running with the airbox lid off? From what I understand, unless the lid is off, you're not gaining a significant amount of flow. An aftermarket intake will make a bigger difference.

I would suggest you would benefit from a tune in the form of a flashed ECU. Sell the EJK and get a tuned ECU from DHM or CJR. I recently got my cam and flashed ECU from CJR and would recommend them. Since you have cam already, ECU flash alone is only $105... Good bang for the buck.
    The filter had 2 different filter media, i put the one that was less restrictive

This user has no status.

Member #

Yeah deff thinking about taking this route

is Living the Dream

Member #
    you can buy and throw all the crap race stuff into a new Honda grom and it will not go as fast if you do not

First break in your grom at lease a 800-1000 miles, have to get the new engine to loosen up.

Second with out a good monitoring system such as A/F gauge, WB02 sensor unit you are not going to see any changes unless you can see the mixture is correct at all RPM range.

If you are running stock 125cc engine, get yourself a used PCV-WB02 or do a reflash of your stock ECU to fit the build you have, such as airbox mod, full aftermarket exhaust system, cam, upgraded F/I.

Want more HP open up the tiny inlet tube and plastic spacer to 26-27mm and port match your intake port to match that.

Once you get a reflash ECU or some type of good aftermarket ECU that is programmable and have a way to monitor your tune you will be wasting your money and spinning your wheels.

Speed or HP cost money.

Do yourself a favor and read and re-read some of the old posting from 2014 to 2019 on tuning, updating a grom to BBK and write down all the do's and don't s others have done to get their groms running correctly.

Good Luck
    Bonafyd likes this.

is just riding.

Member #
    Odometer
    Agreed. Lose the EJK, I ran one for several years and since getting my ECU reflashed by DHM, I'd never go back.
    asume likes this.

is wishing I could keep all the
    bikes I've owned.

Member #
    I was in the same boat doing all the bolt-ons trying not to crack open the motor. I think if you're like, 130lbs you'd be super happy lol. Not sure if you added a 14T smaller sprocket? It seems counter-intuitive, but it'll let your engine rev higher in 4th gear, and get you a bit more top speed.

If you get a reflashed ECU or a standalone ECU, most time there will be ignition advance added which will give you more power. Just be careful if you decide to do a big bore kit later. The added spark timing is going to make the big bore kit run hot.

Anyways, I was able to get right under 65mph comfortably @ about 200lbs by doing all the bolt-ons (did have the Kitaco clutch cover), and not cracking the motor open.
    Last edited by solidjohnny; 09-03-2019 at 08:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    It seems like there is always one more thing to buy, THEN I’ll really notice a difference in performance.

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    is Wishing I was riding....

Member #
    A few quick thoughts (typing via phone). A LOT of people run the Zoom exhaust, for the temping price point. We’ve seen more poorly running bikes with that exhaust than any other component by FAR. That is simply not a good system. I love some DYI, but the airbox mods don’t compare to a proper intake. We’ve tested that until we were blue in the face. Lastly, regardless of the combo of parts you run, your bike is only as good as the mapping you run in it, so use good equipment, and good tunes. Making a stock internal Grom hit 70 isn’t a hard thing to do, but you have to utilize good components, and good know-how.
    Top Shelf parts & accessories WWW.MNNTHBX.COM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links