My 2018 ABS build
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

My 2018 ABS build

This is a discussion on My 2018 ABS build within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Hello, First off, thank you to everyone on this forum, as I've learned so much on here already. This is my first bike. Thanks to ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My 2018 ABS build

This user has no status.

Member #

My 2018 ABS build

Hello,

First off, thank you to everyone on this forum, as I've learned so much on here already. This is my first bike. Thanks to HardRacing for selling me so much stuff.

So I did a bunch of mods in the last couple of days, so figured I'd post about it here. I bought a used 2018 ABS Grom about a month ago. As far as I can tell, the previous owner didn't modify anything other than an AR exhaust and the Yoshimura fender eliminator kit. It looked like this.

My 2018 ABS build-img_6255.jpg

Today I installed kitaco springs, chimera intake, Takegawa S type cam, dynoject PCV, kitaco clutch cover, and takegawa oil pump. Tomorrow I'll put on the 14T front sprocket and the Koso DB-03R dash so I can fix the speedo after the sprocket change.

I also put on TST flush front blinkers and the CustomLED integrated taillight. And lastly, (but most importantly to me because I can't stand the gold forks), wrapped the forks with matte black (actually my daughter did ).

My 2018 ABS build-img_6516.jpg
    My 2018 ABS build-img_6517.jpg
    My 2018 ABS build-img_6324.jpg

In terms of installation.... I don't know the first thing about bikes or working on them. But I did everything myself. YouTube was my friend. I didn't have any issues really. However I'm not sure about valve lash. I have no idea if I did it right. I'd love for someone who knows what they're doing to double check it for me. Anyone in the Phoenix area? HardRacing recommended I go with 005 for both valves, and I tried my best to do that. I also flashed the ECU with the map HardRacing gave me.

Some observations after just firing up the bike and going for a ride...

• The bike is MUCH louder now. It's actually kind of disturbing as I was not expecting that. Makes me wonder if I put everything together right. Any ideas why the bike would be so much louder now? I mean it is MUCH louder now... geez. It's got to be too large of a valve lash gap or something....
    • The clutch springs are awesome. I wasn't sure whether to go with 30% or 60%, but decided on 60%. That was a great decision, because the shifts are so quick and smooth now. However there is a lot of "chatter" in the clutch when I slowly let it out. Is this normal?
    • In a quick top speed test, I gained 1-2 mph. Stock I was only ever to go 54. I hit 56 on the way home just now. Honestly, I'll give those gains back after I install the 14T sprocket, but that's ok I guess. The BBK will fix that.

Lastly, I have a set of TST flush mount blinkers if someone is interested in buying them. They are essentially new. I installed them on the rear and did not like that look, so I took them off and went with an integrated light.

Thanks for listening, ride safe.
    Last edited by Farmboy90; 07-25-2019 at 11:02 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Ok. I used a tappet tool and tried to reset the valve gaps. I ended up widening both of them a bit. Still not sure if they're set correctly as I'm not sure what the feeler gauge should "feel" like when it's in the gap. It lightly scraps as I test the gap, so I'm assuming that's the "feeling" I'm looking for.

Took it for another ride and hit 58 mph. Stock, my top speed was 54. The engine really screams above 6k RPM--and I mean that in a loud sense. It's so loud once it gets to 6k. I am thinking now all the noise is just the cam. Sounds cool while idling too.

Can hardly wait to install the front sprocket and Koso dash tomorrow!

is a squirrel

Member #
    The way it was explained to me was the feel you want when using the feelers is as if you're sliding metal over a magnet. Slight resistance.
    2014 Grom
    Takegawa 143cc kit with S stage cam
    Kitaco clutch cover
    Takegawa oil pump with SUP modded catch
    PCX 150 injector
    SMR 6 disc clutch and 60% springs
    Koso clutch plate
    Opmid temp gauge
    Innovate MTX-L Plus AFR gauge
    EFIE
    Ebay exhaust, intake, and a bunch of other parts
    Seat Concepts seat
    OTB chain adjusters w/ spool
    14T/36T sprockets
    Pirelli SL26 tires

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    I've attached a recording. Sorry if I'm worried about nothing, I just want to check with people who know more than I do (which is essentially everyone )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1boR...ew?usp=sharing

Hear anything in this audio that sounds like trouble?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Swapped the exhaust for a dual high mount. Love it.

Before

My 2018 ABS build-img_6591.jpg

After
    My 2018 ABS build-58733903599__e7069b7e-9736-4536-9a0a-1e59cd099b8c.jpg
    My 2018 ABS build-58733902644__9e896b0c-180d-42d5-940e-b10971bff5a3.jpg

This user has no status.

Member #
    Next up I have a set of black rearsets and a mid-low fairing kit to install.

is fiddling with RZ350's now!

Member #
    Odometer
    Sounds normal to me Farmboy. Although I can only hear the exhaust note.

The reason I did not go with the Koso dash is because the common consensus is (was) that dash will not correct for a sprocket change. Did you get it to correct?
    2018 Grom
    Koso 170 4V/34mm TB/Koso injector/ DIY intake/ aRacer Mini5 + AF1 + DG1
    Koso pump & chain tensioner/ Stock clutch ring / 60% stiffer springs
    Takegawa Crank Support Bearing / Takegawa Catch Can / Kitaco Clutch cover
    Clear cam sprocket cover/ Egay oil Cooler
    Ohlins F&R / Hindle exhaust w DB killer / Galfer brake line w EBC HH Pads
    Pro Taper grips, G2 throttle tube / Gromfatherz axle spacers
    Kepspeed alum. swingarm / Bar end mirror, RAM mount, USB Port
    Seat Concepts / Opmid V2

This user has no status.

Member #
    Yup, it's correct and awesome actually. I've run my speedo GPS app on my phone alongside to verify. Got in all dialed in. The dash is cool actually. Love how it integrates so much into one gauge.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Before and after of the fairing kit I just put on.

My 2018 ABS build-img_6601.jpg
    My 2018 ABS build-img_6607.jpg

Next week I think I will dip the rims....

This user has no status.

Member #
    Rearsets are on.

My 2018 ABS build-img_6663.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links